Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

right wing

Country flag
guys me thinks standard fitment of missiles on kolkata will be 80..including 16 brahmos...i mean..it has 80+ in ins delhi,n 64 on ins shivalik....so that means 64 baraks..not sure whether all barak 2 or not,and initially may sail with barak 1

Kranthi

land attack missiles were korean made...last i knew...and usa wud not come in the way of technology transfer by korea...it has quietly allowed israel in the process of givin us some goodies
The Hyunmoo 3 is widely said to be a development from tomahawk.. But we have nirbhay anyway...so we don't need that even if the US allows korea to transfer (without any clauses). And the radars and sam ? Its US, and Korea just doesn't manufacture them. The SSMs are inferior to brahmos.. So what's left to buy ?

No Israel has not transfered anything belonging to US (or developed in collaboration with US), as far as I believe.. So the US has no business to interrupt..

Last edited:

right wing

Country flag
The Hyunmoo 3 is widely said to be a development from tomahawk.. But we have nirbhay anyway...so we don't need that even if the US allows korea to transfer (without any clauses). And the radars and sam ? Its US, and Korea just doesn't manufacture them. The SSMs are inferior to brahmos.. So what's left to buy ?

No Israel has not transfered anything belonging to US (or developed in collaboration with US), as far as I believe.. So the US has no business to interrupt..
usa funds israel research nd its defence budget...usa didnt allow china to get the awacs...it simply was silent in our case....and korea has a lot to offer us even in hull building...they r the worlds largest ship builder..plus a military giant with wide scale private industry set up,in allmost all fields

right wing

Country flag
ok...it now seems we have 32 barak 2 on board in ins kolkata in ready to fire mode...while 32 another in canisterised stored pattern in internal storage,which can be fit into position at a time interval of 5 mins warning....but we would need cranes for these...during war time,this cranes can be fitted to destroyers n frigates of larger types,these small cranes are enough to reload light barak missiles...and larger cranes are any way fitted to landing ship tanks of navy,,fuel replenishment vessels,and our carriers.. now for reloading brahmos ,a fuel replenishment ship is a must,because of its huge weight and large cranes involved...missile....
for barak 2,we can make do with smaller cranes available or fixable on all our major ships,provided our destroyers have the missiles ready at hand in internal storage....which ins kolkata seems to have now...even though a period of 5 mins is required by all ships of usn worldwide ,for reloading their vls,at high sea,except for tomahawks n harpoons,which r considerably difficult to refill.
considering that usn destroyers have around 96 cells and take 5..10 mins,64 cells can be filled with far lighter missiles,in around the same time,if we consider indian navy to be slightly incompetent...which we have no reason to say..as of now

right wing

Country flag
in another forum,i was told by a respected member,that the space between the barak 2 vls n brahmos launcher,were holding the barak 8 canisters,and in the aft,the space between two barak 8 vls,also holding another set. To state his point,he also said,that by doing so kolkata has far less than desired space between its main gun and brahmos launcher,which wud make removal of main gun in future for upg,tedious.
He seemed to suggest that gaps between the barak 8 n brahmos launcher,or between the two barak 8 launchers at the back,was far more than in ordinary ships...demonstrating pictures to the effect.
He believes that the internally placed barak8 missiles,can be easily reloaded with some quicker mechanism,than using cranes at high sea,but i did not or couldnot comprehend how!!!

Illusive

Country flag
...isnt this a cruiser ??too many vls for a destroyer!!
It is a cruiser, but in modern world a cruiser is just a larger destroyer capable of carrying more firepower. If IN wants to be a bluewater they'll eventually go for cruisers.

right wing

Country flag
It is a cruiser, but in modern world a cruiser is just a larger destroyer capable of carrying more firepower. If IN wants to be a bluewater they'll eventually go for cruisers.
but it is damn beautiful...india wud need six such beauites for indian ocean domination

ladder

Country flag
in another forum,i was told by a respected member,that the space between the barak 2 vls n brahmos launcher,were holding the barak 8 canisters,and in the aft,the space between two barak 8 vls,also holding another set. To state his point,he also said,that by doing so kolkata has far less than desired space between its main gun and brahmos launcher,which wud make removal of main gun in future for upg,tedious.
He seemed to suggest that gaps between the barak 8 n brahmos launcher,or between the two barak 8 launchers at the back,was far more than in ordinary ships...demonstrating pictures to the effect.
He believes that the internally placed barak8 missiles,can be easily reloaded with some quicker mechanism,than using cranes at high sea,but i did not or couldnot comprehend how!!!
That would indeed be the case as if you use the crane of a supply/replenish-er ship to reload, then keep those spare Barak-8 canisters in that ship rather than carrying it on INS Kolkata, simple. But if is carried on Kolkata, it has to be eligible on it's own to replace the used canisters with the new one. How? I don't know. May be after seeing HD pics of Kolkata I may, but now I don't know.

right wing

Country flag
That would indeed be the case as if you use the crane of a supply/replenish-er ship to reload, then keep those spare Barak-8 canisters in that ship rather than carrying it on INS Kolkata, simple. But if is carried on Kolkata, it has to be eligible on it's own to replace the used canisters with the new one. How? I don't know. May be after seeing HD pics of Kolkata I may, but now I don't know.
...but we need to hav some internal rail mechanism for it,and whether we have it or not is a big question!!☺

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Point defense would rather suit CIWS and Missile with range of 5-6kms, Barak-1 is also a fleet defense with range of 11-12kms, Barak-8 is evolution of barak-1 and has longer range and will have range of 70kms ..

Lets say News editors are confuse ..

There was an article few months ago which said IN does not want point defence SAMs any more, only Fleet defence SAMs.

Is IN confused? Or only confusing us on purpose?

@Kunal Biswas @Twinblade

Last edited by a moderator:

SilentKiller

Country flag
Guys is it right that right now Kolkata class has only 32 Barak 1 missiles integrated and another 32 barak 8 will be integrated later on and space for them has already been left...
I too noticed that there is a lot of empty space both at front and back that has not been utilized, guess it has been kept such for more Baraks??

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It was reported few months back that Barak-1 is being purchased for Kolkata class destroyers as well as Vikramaditya ..

Global Defence

Articles