Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

right wing

Country flag
ok how many guys feel that while ins kolkata is powerful n big,it looks very ugly especially with its alien head radar,while ins kamorta,another to be inducted soon is a beauty

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
More Exclusive Photos & Video Of New Indian Destroyer 'Kolkata'

Last edited by a moderator:

right wing

Country flag
can this ship ever be upgraded to launch nirbhay...which is wider in vls...brahmos or nirbhay???and i know p15 b will,but can this ship's vls be made suitable to carry nirbhay.?

rsourav

Is it stealthier than shivalik class frigate....coz i think shivalik class has more smooth edges than this............rply plzzzzzzzzz

Kranthi

Not really sure abt it, but here's what Prasoon Sengupta has to say.
Even if P15A has +32 barak 8 in reloadable canisters, is that of any use in real time scenario.. ??

At war time, an attack on a CBG won't be one dimensional.. Fighters and ships will be swarming around.. Exhausting 32 missiles on each P15A in that CBG is a heavy attack situation. Such attack would usually accompany submarines aswell.. and with torpedoes chasing underneath, the ships have to be on a sprint to improve chances of evasion. I don't think there will be enough leisure to reload the canisters on the go, that too with the help of another ship's crane..

Does anyone think this is a feasible concept at wartime..??

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Yes, but the question is, once Nirbhay is ready, can it be deployed in Kolkata class?

I think it can be.

Project-15B, "Bangalore Class" will be armed with Nirbhay.

Kranthi

Yes, but the question is, once Nirbhay is ready, can it be deployed in Kolkata class?

I think it can be.
Technically it should be..unless naval nirbhay along with brahmos 2 has different dimensions than current brahmos.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Missiles launched from surface ships have the same dimension as the land variant. Only the submarine launched versions have an extra booster and differs in dimension.

Technically it should be..unless naval nirbhay along with brahmos 2 has different dimensions than current brahmos.

rohit b3

Country flag
Even if there are +32 missiles in reloadable canisters on P15A, I don't think these will be of much use in wartime scenario...

In real time scenario, an attack on CBG won't be one dimensional.. If they can manage to exhaust 32 missiles on each kolkata.. Then that's a massive attack. fighters will be swarming the skies, missiles flying all around..and with torpedoes chasing underneath,ships have to be on sprint to improve chances of evasion. I don't think there will be enough leisure in such scenarios to replace the missile canisters on the go...that too with the help of another ship moving parallelly...

Does anyone think this is a feasible concept at war time.. ??
Assume the Ship actually survived such a battle and exhausted say about 20-30 of its SAMs. At that point another 32 would come in handy, especially if the ship has a longer mission/operation.

But my question is, do other ships too have such facilities? of carrying the SAMs on their ships and later fitting it?

If Yes, the Kolkata class isnt anything Special. Most other Destroyers are emphasised on Air Defence carying more SAMs but lesser Anti-ship/land missiles, while the Kolkata Class is equipped with more Anti-ship missiles and lesser SAMs.

Being equipped with 16XBrahMos along with 64 x Barak 8 would have been a world beater and would be called "one of the most heavily equipped"

Kranthi

Assume the Ship actually survived such a battle and exhausted say about 20-30 of its SAMs. At that point another 32 would come in handy, especially if the ship has a longer mission/operation.

But my question is, do other ships too have such facilities? of carrying the SAMs on their ships and later fitting it?

If Yes, the Kolkata class isnt anything Special. Most other Destroyers are emphasised on Air Defence carying more SAMs but lesser Anti-ship/land missiles, while the Kolkata Class is equipped with more Anti-ship missiles and lesser SAMs.

Being equipped with 16XBrahMos along with 64 x Barak 8 would have been a world beater and would be called "one of the most heavily equipped"
Increasing tonnage would have helped with that.. Lets hope the P15B will be a better air defence ship. IN should build a class similar to Kora class with brahmos capability, to serve as the attack arm of CBGs while destroyers serve for better air defense. Frigates can be used for off the fleet forward sub-missions and inspections when needed... Isn't that a better plan than building destroyers with limited air defence and exceptional attack capabilities..
Nevertheless kolkata class will be great ships being built to the specifications of IN.. sure IN knows where to use them..and how to.. :)

laughingbuddha

Country flag
Perhaps the IN now needs a dedicated AAW destroyer/frigate for its CBGs.

Or build a larger class of DDG with at least 96-128 LRSAM / 64 SRSAM / 32 AShM-ASM / 32 LACM / CIWS / torpedoes, RBU and BMD.

Sejong the Great DDG class for comparison?

Last edited:

right wing

Country flag
why cant we but 4 sejongs..2 here 2 there...win win...and they r ready to sell...korea as a nation also quick in technology transfer...

right wing

Country flag
how many anti air missiles will kolkata carry...32 or 64..lots of doubts on it...let us wait till further info comes.

Kranthi

why cant we but 4 sejongs..2 here 2 there...win win...and they r ready to sell...korea as a nation also quick in technology transfer...
Only the ship is built in korea..everything on board is US... Which means u are effectively buying all the radars and missiles from the US.

The Aegis combat system, its SAMs, radars, land attack missiles, all are US. If it is just the hull we want from korea, we can very well build it on our own..

right wing

Country flag
Only the ship is built in korea..everything on board is US... Which means u are effectively buying all the radars and missiles from the US.

The Aegis combat system, its SAMs, radars, land attack missiles, all are US. If it is just the hull we want from korea, we can very well build it on our own..
land attack missiles were korean made...last i knew...and usa wud not come in the way of technology transfer by korea...it has quietly allowed israel in the process of givin us some goodies

Global Defence

Articles