Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

Shadow

Country flag
Is there any possibility of India exporting Kolkata Class Destroyer to friendly countries?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Why not? 30 charactersssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Radar coming from Israel, torpedo coming from Italy, Brahmos ..no way of export

more over foreign Navy's gets cheap FREMM Frigates or LCS from USA ,

while Kolkata always a formidable front line destroyer ..! and highly expensive

apple

Radar coming from Israel, torpedo coming from Italy, Brahmos ..no way of export

more over foreign Navy's gets cheap FREMM Frigates or LCS from USA ,

while Kolkata always a formidable front line destroyer ..! and highly expensive
Yeah, I know Australia has similiar issues. Isn't Brahmos Indian? It's a missile, right?

While the list is much shorter now, there's still some nations that refuse to buy anything American/ Western.

Radar, torpedo and missiles you could get from Russia and fit them to an export version Kolkata class.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Thanks for answer sir, BUt if enemy found some countermeasures for brahmos what then
Good question. But we should keep it in mind that there is antivenom for each and every venom. For Brahmos, right now I think the best counter measure is Barak8. But its an ongoing process. You can't make a 100% proof weapon system. There would be always something there to counter it. All you could do is to make advancement on the current tech.

SarkINPark

I feel that if we can somehow manage to install a VLS with the capacity to hold at least 56 missiles then it would be extremely lethal. "The ship's main air-defence armament is composed of two 4x8-cell vertical launch system
allowing for up to 32 Barak8 (medium-long range) air-defence missiles"- making space for some extra Nirbahy missiles would give it a great edge for anti-surface warfare.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
I feel that if we can somehow manage to install a VLS with the capacity to hold at least 56 missiles then it would be extremely lethal. "The ship's main air-defence armament is composed of two 4x8-cell vertical launch system
allowing for up to 32 Barak8 (medium-long range) air-defence missiles"- making space for some extra Nirbahy missiles would give it a great edge for anti-surface warfare.
kolkata class can be upgraded, so maybe in future they may use VLS

mikhail

Country flag
come on man ! you know by now i don't know your lingo. translate man !
Come on mate,we all know your real identity:lol:.You're a British citizen just like @abingdonboy ,the difference being that he is of Indian origin whereas you are of Pakistani origin.I recognised you from the moment i saw your user ID.Come on mate,there's nothing to be ashamed of being a Pakistani specially in this forum:wink:!!

blue marlin

Come on mate,we all know your real identity:lol:.You're a British citizen just like @abingdonboy ,the difference being that he is of Indian origin whereas you are of Pakistani origin.I recognised you from the moment i saw your user ID.Come on mate,there's nothing to be ashamed of being a Pakistani specially in this forum:wink:!!
why is it that when ever people here see someone who's not indian you automatically assume there pakistani? i have not encountered @abingdonboy.

mikhail

Country flag
India needs to build at least 20x decent size (8000+ tonnes) destroyers and 30x frigates (6000+tonnes) capable of travelling up to 13,000+km.
What on earth are you talking about:shock:!!Are you out of your mind!!20 Kolkata class destroyers alone would cost the exchequer a whooping $20-25 billions at least and the cost of 30 Shivalik class frigates will be around $30 billions,where on earth will the Indian Navy get $50 billions in the near future:doh:!!Indian defense budget is meagre compared to China let alone the U.S.,so it's better for us to focus on our weakness and improve our sub-surface capability in the near future

Bheeshma

IN should plan for 10-12 destroyers and 18-21 Frigates. The rest of the numbers can be made up corvettes like Kamorta and Koras.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
IN should plan for 10-12 destroyers and 18-21 Frigates. The rest of the numbers can be made up corvettes like Kamorta and Koras.
The Indian Navy has a plan to have a 160 ship Navy by 2030. These are further divided into 90 major combat vessels and 70 support and smaller combat vessels. The 90 combat vessels are comprised of three carriers & four LHD battle groups with around Three destroyers, 2SSNs and five frigates in each group. That makes 14SSNs, 21destroyers and 35 frigates i.e 77 vessels. The six SSBNs and another 7-10SSKs round off the list of 90.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
For those who did not understand my calculation above.
The Indian Navy will have 90 major combatants by 2030. (This is in line with our needs and similar to the numbers being planned by the Japanese).
3carriers
4LHDs
21destroyers
35frigates
14SSNs
6SSBNs
7-10SSKs

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
For those who did not understand my calculation above.
The Indian Navy will have 90 major combatants by 2030. (This is in line with our needs and similar to the numbers being planned by the Japanese).
3carriers
4LHDs
21destroyers
35frigates
14SSNs
6SSBNs
7-10SSKs
one question
do you see our navy going full nuclear subs (without any dieseal electric) in future

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles