Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

WMD

The main gun is Oto 76mm SRGM in a stealth cupola:sad:, no suitable 130mm naval gun exists.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
All sources say i is a 130mm gun. Though there are reports that gun mount was reinstalled in 2008, but i couldn't find any sources which suggest that it will be replaced by the 76/62 SRGM. It is generally reserved for smaller ships of < 6000mt displacement.

Looks more like Oto 76mm SRGM in a stealth cupola.

WMD

All sources say i is a 130mm gun. Though there are reports that gun mount was reinstalled in 2008, but i couldn't find any sources which suggest that it will be replaced by the 76/62 SRGM. It is generally reserved for smaller ships of < 6000mt displacement.
7 Super Rapid 76mm Naval gun (2009) For 7 Kolkata (Project-15A) destroyers produced in India
Trade Registers
I suppose including P-15B.

Maybe AK-130... not sure.
Its a dual barreled 130mm soviet era gun, no stealth mount.

confusion is that some websites like naval-technology.com say its a 130mm gun when none exist. would have been better if they had gone for oto melara 127/64 gun.

cloud_9

Country flag
I accept your logic and My lack of knowledge in regardance. But My question stands. How we can be so sure when we had a Terrorist attack from Sea. For example, a Pakistan based terrorist sneaks inside the mumbai fishing harbor (or wherever the fishermen anchor their boats) with some RPG's and heavy machine guns and then attack any of our frontline ship that is anchored over there. They may be able to damage any one of the ships over there. Even repairable damage. But still its a damage.

I am asking out of my ignorance, You may still rant,.
I bet you have been reading The Dawn and Express Tribune lately.

WMD

SPFG

Trade Registers
I suppose including P-15B.

Its a dual barreled 130mm soviet era gun, no stealth mount.

confusion is that some websites like naval-technology.com say its a 130mm gun when none exist. would have been better if they had gone for oto melara 127/64 gun.

China type 052d 130mm

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some Info On Oto Melara's 127-64 main gun >>

Adding more information on the workpiece 127/64 LW OTO-Melara and the development of new ammunition for this new piece of the OTO-Melara, this program after the problems faced by the cannon ammunition ERGM mod.4 of Mark 45 United States, put the 127/64 LW Vulcano ammunition and expectant position in the market for naval artillery and its derivatives. The ammunition developed for the 127/54LW and 127/64LW and modifications to their charging system 127 / 54C "Compatto" is the Vulcan with sub-caliber projectile driven not rocket thanks to its higher muzzle velocity (1200m / s) has increased in scope with the previous standard ammunition of the compacts was up to 40 km, plus the Vulcan finned type LR Canard precision guide can plan to achieve ranges of up to 120 km, as appeared in recent publications as described in the recent Exponaval 2008.

======================
======================
Utube presentation :

The Oto Melara 127/64 Lightweight (LW) naval Gun Mount is a rapid fire gun mount suitable for installation on large and medium size ships, intended for surface fire and naval gunfire support as main role and anti-aircraft fire as secondary role.

The 127/64 LW Naval Gun Mounts includes a Vulcano module, which acts twofold:

- Programmer for ammunition's fuse and guidance system
- Mission Planning and Execution for Naval Fire Support Action (firing solutions, selection of ammunition, definition of trajectories and firing sequences, ballistic computations accounting for ammunition type, etc.), as a standalone or in interaction with ship's Network Centric System

@syncro

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Why is it using the old LW 08 radar used in Delhi Class?

And not the Elta EL/M-2238 STAR?

Reactions: WMD

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
@WMD, I think we got the answer! :thumb:

That is Oto Melara 127 / 64 Lightweight (LW), All most all Major warships even corvettes, made in India will have these gun instead of older 76mm ..

WMD

Why is it using the old LW 08 radar used in Delhi Class?

And not the Elta EL/M-2238 STAR?
My thoughts exactly. IN should've gone for the EL/M-2238 STAR like they did in Shivalik class FFGs.

@WMD, I think we got the answer! :thumb:
I'm pretty sure abt my earlier posts, but I'll be happy if proven wrong. Let's wait for a few more months and everything will be clear.
P K Sengupta also thinks the main gun aboard P-15A DDGs is Oto Melara 76/62 mm SRGM in a stealth cupola.
Several months ago when I was somehow sure that the main gun aboard P-15A DDGs is Oto Melara 76/62 SRGM in a stealth cupola(from my earlier assumption of A-192M), I had asked Sengupta abt it. He never gave me an answer. But recently after the pic of INS Kolkata came out he answered somebody else regarding the same. This is what he said

Originally the three Project 15A DDGs were to be armed with Russia-supplied 100mm naval guns (of the same type as those on board the 3 Project 15 DDGs). Three such guns were ordered as well for the 3 Project 15A DDGs. But midstream, the IN realised that product-support for these guns was extremely poor from the Russian side & therefore it was decided that the IN would use the very same OTOBreda-supplied/BHEL-assembled 76/62 SRGMs that are on the 3 Project 17 FFGs on the 3 Project 15A DDGs as well. Consequently, the three 100mm naval guns ordered from Russia will be cannibalised for spares for supporting the 100mm guns on board the 3 Project 15 DDGs. And if I'm not mistaken, the IN will soon have the dubious distinction of being the only navy in the world to operate DDGs armed with 76mm naval guns, when everyone else in the world is arming their DDGs with 100mm, 127mm, 130mm or 155mm naval guns! Unbelievable 'nautanki'/'tamasha', isn't it? (Lolz!)
Of course he's wrong that IN will be the only navy having 76mm gun equipped destroyers.
Another thing is that Oto Melara 76mm SRGM can also act as a potent CIWS platform against sub-sonic cruise missiles. So I don't think that having Oto Melara 76mm SRGM on P-15A DDGs is an entirely bad thing.

SPFG

Assuming China using A 192M as gun design and concept almost identical,

Range 23 KM

RPM 30

76 SUPER RAPID

RANGE 33000 yards (30000 meters)

RPM 120

After successfully producing 80 mm naval guns for the past two years, Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) would now also manufacture 127 mm naval guns.

The Haridwar unit of BHEL had already signed a contract with the union government for the purpose, Acting Director of Heavy Electricals Equipment Plant (HEEP) Virendra Pandhi said.

BHEL Haridwar registered an annual turnover of Rs 5,415 crore in 2011-12 which is 27% more than the previous year, he said, adding the company wants to increase the annual turnover to Rs 1 lakh crore till 2016-17.

Pandhi said in view of the growing competition and demand of the market, BHEL also intends to diversify in the fields of manufacturing equipments like pollution control.

BHEL to manufacture 127 mm naval guns | Business Standard

Maybe for new P17A these guns will be there? I read design was frozen in august.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles