Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

Krusty

Country flag
Are local breeds cheap or something?
I am not an expert, but importing a cow and slaughtering it would involve import taxes and an increased waiting time. Besides, TN and Kerala shares a long border, The easiest and the cheapest way to ensure beef supply for Kerala is to ship it from TN. especially cows.

Krusty

Country flag
#AntiHinduPeta is trending on twitter.

Bro, the worst part is, they are indigenous breed to India but they wont be extinct. to be precise, they will be extinct in India. Jallikattu bulls DNA strains have already been shipped to the west in the name of research.

Krusty

Country flag
If it is banned, then every instance of it will be considered illegal, regardless of any other consideration.
Can you slaughter Bald eagle in the USA? Cats in Canada? Dogs in the UK? Pigs in Middle east? are you a social justice warrior? you are starting to sound like one.

raja696

https://scroll.in/article/801779/ho...-hurt-cattle-breeding-a-farmers-point-of-view

An essential role

Jallikattu events are held once the winter harvest is finished. Bulls reared specially for the sport are taken out to participate. Spectators take note of the best bulls on display and seek them out in the shandies or cattle markets that are held from December till April all over Tamil Nadu. Since small farmers cannot afford to keep stud bulls, villages through the state buy a common temple bull to service all the cows of the settlement. Jallikattu events provide the opportunity for bulls to be exhibited.

Jallikattu helps bulls establish their pedigree. The calves from such bulls, which have displayed their agility on the sports field, are in great demand.

Male calves are kept only in regions with a tradition of sports like jallikattu. In other regions, male calves are sold and taken to slaughter in only a few days. With the reduced availability of males, farmers have to go for artificial insemination. Native cows do not yield as much milk as the imported breeds and are not supported by breeding programmes. This results in the proliferation of cross-bred cattle. Unless bulls are bred and reared in the region, their offspring will be less likely to adapt to changes in the climate and local environment.

TheRenegades

In my opinion, this Jallikattu conversation is happening in the narrow definition of the activity. I think the conversation has to happen in a broader perspective - as in overall macroeconomic impact of bulls in our culture, community, agriculture, animal husbandry. I think what we are saying is that Jallikattu is intricately tied to our livelihood. We should be careful not to be carried away by others definition of animal treatment, but need to evolve our own. I think we need to have a bigger conversation and I think SC got its verdict wrong in this case.

The people who own the bulls are poor and if they lose the bulls, they are going to lose their livelihood, a way to till their land, transport their produce etc. Is PETA going to pay our farmers for buying a tractor and trailer and for its maintenance? I don't believe so. Maintaining bulls cost money. Will PETA pay for the maintainence? I don't believe so.

Isn't one of our country's slogans - Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan. It looks like we are letting them both down. We can't afford to lose our nations wealth.

here2where

.. are you a social justice warrior? .
Dont bother who iam for its not important. Your double standard is downright laughable though.
You won't give up your right to slaughter goats, but you want a muslim to give up his right, just because you can't stand the sight of him slaughtering.
And regarding your claim that rich tamils slaughter goats for communities sake, know this that the muzzies too give away slaughtered meat to the poor people in their community, who otherwise cannot afford good meat.

So don't go around asking for animal slaughter ban before banning jallikattu. That Kamal fellow was croaking from his backside and made a fool of himself so that the gullible movie-crazy tamil public continue lapping up the rubbish he doles out.

The only reason i do not want jallikattu to be banned is of concern that this is an evil ploy to do away with native breeds and make our farmers dependent on foreign imports. similar to fertilizers/seeds/etc.
Otherwise jallikattu represents a brutal prehistoric manifestation of male ego and distorted masculinity and i would be happy to see it go away. Tough luck, tamil folks have to find better ways to prove the strength/virility of their bulls.

raja696

Though the BJP government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi tried to help the Tamil nadu government to stage Jallikattu in 2015 by issuing a special notification, the apex court shot it down and the Central government was rebuked by the Court.

https://www.pgurus.com/jallikattu-congress-hypocrisy-open/

Congress which is criticising the Narendra Modi government for the ban on Jallikattu, had in its manifesto for the Tamil Nadu Assembly Election in May 2016 declared that it would ban the Jallikattu. “The party supports the ban on Jallikattu,” said the Congress manifesto.

Referring to Stalin’s allegation that the Narendra Modi government was against Tamil Nadu, K T Raghavan, BJP spokesman, said this was a derogatory statement.

“Tamil Nadu Assembly elections 2016: Congress releases manifesto, promises ban on ‘Jallikattu’”, the dailies had carried banner headlined reports the day after the manifesto was released by Mukul Wasnik, AICC general secretary. In Tamil Nadu, the Congress is piggyback riding the DMK for survival. Thirunavakkarasar, the TNCC president, who has put in years of service both in the AIADMK and the BJP, is trying to bend backwards to the maximum position to appease the father-son duo of Karunanidhi and Stalin.

Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in a letter to N G Jayasimha, Managing Director, Humane Society International, an NGO based in Secunderabad had said that he was for banning the bull fight. “The Humane Society International India has a worthy objective and certainly we have to work to discourage bullfights which provide a cruel form of entertainment. I wish you all success in achieving your objective,” said the former Prime Minister in his letter dated December 15, 2015.

Interestingly, Jayanthi Natarajan, former union minister for environment and forests in the Manmohan Singh cabinet, blamed her successor Jairam Ramesh for the Jallikattu ban. “Jairam Ramesh, who was inducted as environment minister after I was thrown out of the government distorted and manipulated the list submitted by the AWBI and included bulls as performing animals. It was based on this list that the Supreme Court banned Jallikattu,” said Jayanthi. She had quit Congress immediately after the 2014 Lok Sabha elections alleging that the High Command had pressurised her to make wild and baseless allegations against Narendra Modi, the BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate.

Krusty

Country flag
Dont bother who iam for its not important. Your double standard is downright laughable though.
You won't give up your right to slaughter goats, but you want a muslim to give up his right, just because you can't stand the sight of him slaughtering.
And regarding your claim that rich tamils slaughter goats for communities sake, know this that the muzzies too give away slaughtered meat to the poor people in their community, who otherwise cannot afford good meat.

So don't go around asking for animal slaughter ban before banning jallikattu. That Kamal fellow was croaking from his backside and made a fool of himself so that the gullible movie-crazy tamil public continue lapping up the rubbish he doles out.

The only reason i do not want jallikattu to be banned is of concern that this is an evil ploy to do away with native breeds and make our farmers dependent on foreign imports. similar to fertilizers/seeds/etc.
Otherwise jallikattu represents a brutal prehistoric manifestation of male ego and distorted masculinity and i would be happy to see it go away. Tough luck, tamil folks have to find better ways to prove the strength/virility of their bulls.
You cant justify your words :pound:

Each country is unique. Accept it first. Please explain the facts that I pointed out or refrain from writing pointless essays, your logic has been wrecked already. Writing pages upon pages won't change it. Explain the facts that I pointed out first. Your essay contains everything except that. Explain it first, I'll answer to the questions you have after that. After all, you were the one who said slaughter is slaughter, no matter what animal it is and everything is equal and if one is banned, all else should be. Arguing otherwise is hypocrisy.

Brilliant :pound:

Darth Malgus

Country flag
Though the BJP government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi tried to help the Tamil nadu government to stage Jallikattu in 2015 by issuing a special notification, the apex court shot it down and the Central government was rebuked by the Court.

Congress which is criticising the Narendra Modi government for the ban on Jallikattu, had in its manifesto for the Tamil Nadu Assembly Election in May 2016 declared that it would ban the Jallikattu. “The party supports the ban on Jallikattu,” said the Congress manifesto.

Referring to Stalin’s allegation that the Narendra Modi government was against Tamil Nadu, K T Raghavan, BJP spokesman, said this was a derogatory statement.

“Tamil Nadu Assembly elections 2016: Congress releases manifesto, promises ban on ‘Jallikattu’”, the dailies had carried banner headlined reports the day after the manifesto was released by Mukul Wasnik, AICC general secretary. In Tamil Nadu, the Congress is piggyback riding the DMK for survival. Thirunavakkarasar, the TNCC president, who has put in years of service both in the AIADMK and the BJP, is trying to bend backwards to the maximum position to appease the father-son duo of Karunanidhi and Stalin.

Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in a letter to N G Jayasimha, Managing Director, Humane Society International, an NGO based in Secunderabad had said that he was for banning the bull fight. “The Humane Society International India has a worthy objective and certainly we have to work to discourage bullfights which provide a cruel form of entertainment. I wish you all success in achieving your objective,” said the former Prime Minister in his letter dated December 15, 2015.

Interestingly, Jayanthi Natarajan, former union minister for environment and forests in the Manmohan Singh cabinet, blamed her successor Jairam Ramesh for the Jallikattu ban. “Jairam Ramesh, who was inducted as environment minister after I was thrown out of the government distorted and manipulated the list submitted by the AWBI and included bulls as performing animals. It was based on this list that the Supreme Court banned Jallikattu,” said Jayanthi. She had quit Congress immediately after the 2014 Lok Sabha elections alleging that the High Command had pressurised her to make wild and baseless allegations against Narendra Modi, the BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate.
BJP did not try enough, everybody knew that would be shot down by the courts. If BJP is really serious they will have to first deal with AWBI and Meneka Gandhi. Ban PETA and its NGO's , i doubt its really that difficult to find any excuse to do so in such a large organization.

alphacentury

Country flag
Well, the basic problem imo is modern education. It is made such a way that, you are bound to hate your culture/traditions, ancestors etc or feel ashamed about it. Hate to admit it, but I myself would have supported the ban 4-5 years earlier. 90 percent educated people feel same way. We dont have to convert those 90% to our fold, just a strong >=30% will do.

And about naarth Indians or whatever, are iyers and Radhakrishan from UP, Bihar? jk:tongue2:

Modi's hrd minister, i.e. maneka gandhi and her gang also support the ban. Tamilians should remember this while voting in next election. She even wrote an article today, how makar sankranti is same to bakrid.:bs:

Krusty

Country flag
Rants over. Everyone will forget jallikattu till Pongal 2018. Goodbye to this thread till then.

Tarun Kumar

Can someone please tell me whether bulls are killed after Jallikattu like in bull fighting. If they are not why should the SC waste its time on irrelevant things not related to crime and terrorism. I mean if it is part of local tradition whats the point of banning it and alienating whole host of people for sake of loosers like PETA.

Krusty

Country flag
Can someone please tell me whether bulls are killed after Jallikattu like in bull fighting. If they are not why should the SC waste its time on irrelevant things not related to crime and terrorism. I mean if it is part of local tradition whats the point of banning it and alienating whole host of people for sake of loosers like PETA.
Bulls are not killed. This is a process to select the strong bulls for breeding and nothing more. Bulls are treated better than family members and jallikattu bulls have their own airconditioned cowsheds and are fed with the finest food that's available. It has absolutely nothing to do with cow slaughter. Infact it's the polar opposite. It's a very essential part of selection for breeding and maintaining the quality of the stock.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Rants over. Everyone will forget jallikattu till Pongal 2018. Goodbye to this thread till then.
Today (18-JAN-17) while driving to office I saw several youth, maybe 30-40 near a benz showroom and near a traffic signal with placards supporting jallikattu.

Tarun Kumar

Well This is the problem I have with Indian elites. I mean Nirbhaya's rape case is still pending in Supreme Court. Criminals and terrorists who killed dozens are out on bail awaiting trial while SC has time to ban a local sport and is concerned more about animal rights than human security. Even here in Mumbai, Gujju, Jain and Tam Brahm housing societies are obsessed with your dietary habits than violating someone's privacy. No wonder we are so messed up.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Massive support for jallikattu, happening now at marina beach chennai..

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well This is the problem I have with Indian elites. I mean Nirbhaya's rape case is still pending in Supreme Court. Criminals and terrorists who killed dozens are out on bail awaiting trial while SC has time to ban a local sport and is concerned more about animal rights than human security. Even here in Mumbai, Gujju, Jain and Tam Brahm housing societies are obsessed with your dietary habits than violating someone's privacy. No wonder we are so messed up.
Shhh.. the mighty courts are answerable to anyone. Who are you to criticize them, you lowly pleb? You are merely entitled to elect your politicians who makes laws, you have no say in the body which adjudication of those laws.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Massive support for jallikattu, happening now at marina beach chennai..

I'd cheer but protests mean nothing to courts which have ruled on this.

Only way forward is try to get the courts to reconsider. Good luck with that.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles