National Waterways

IndianYonko

Country flag
It shows just on the border of Bihar and Jharkhand
(Also added this in Chit-Chat)
And yes Its on border; So basically Bihar has a terminal on Ganges on both of ends. Its closer; really close.

Its also close to Kursela(Kosi-Ganga meeting point); I think from Kursela its almost 50 KMS through river.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And yes Its on border; So basically Bihar has a terminal on Ganges on both of ends. Its closer; really close.

Its also close to Kursela(Kosi-Ganga meeting point); I think from Kursela its almost 50 KMS through river.
Fantastic that’s what I wanted to know I will visit Sahibganj whenever I am free

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Sahibganj Multimodal Terminal is huge but A number of other small community jetties and ro ro terminals are mushrooming alongside river Ganga in UP and Bihar you should visit and film them and post the videos here if you see cargo ships film them too if possible film the loading and unloading of ships too read this article published in Forbes India
And this is Rotterdam a city built along river/waterway
1618603026647.jpeg

Last edited:

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
With increasing seaborne trading activities and rising marine passenger traffic across the globe, worldwide inland waterways vessels market is poised to exhibit substantial upswing in the coming years. Inland waterways vessels offer a reliable means of long haul, congestion-free transportation at competitive cost, which has favored their penetration on a global scale.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Delhi could be connected through waterways from the rest of the world.
Gadkari, who also holds the shipping portfolio, said the waterways through Ganga would revolutionise the economy of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. “While the waterway from Varanasi to Haldia through river Ganga is almost complete, a Rs 12,000 crore proposal to develop waterways connecting Delhi to Prayagraraj via Mathura, Agra and Itawa has been submitted to the World Bank,” said the minister, adding that once it is finished, Delhi could be connected through waterways from the rest of the world.
1618678680793.png

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The NW-1 along with the proposed Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor and NH-2 constitute the Eastern Transport Corridor of India, connecting the National Capital Region (NCR) with the eastern and North-East States. Additionally, they will function as a link to Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Nepal and other East and Southeast Asian countries.
1618701811006.jpeg

Last edited:

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
At present, cargo from the states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh takes circuitous land routes to reach the sea ports of Mumbai in Maharashtra and Kandla in Gujarat, rather than going to the much-closer port in Kolkata. The development of NW-1 would help direct this freight to the Kolkata-Haldia complex, reducing logistics costs, which account for 12-13% of India’s GDP, as against 7-8% in developed countries.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
4 years ago two inland waterway vessels carrying newly assembled Maruti cars and 1400 tones of goods set off from Varanasi to Haldia passing right through the heart of Bihar on National Waterway One and with that oldest Indian city became the launchpad for Jal Marg Vikas Project

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

it’s the most economically viable waterway project across the globe
it breaks the landlock of not just Bihar , Jharkhand And UP but also Nepal and Entire North India it’s a part of Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor
The reason I am so optimistic about this project is because I have seen Mr Nitin Gadkari tallking about this project very enthusiastically he was tallking about setting up industries , cold storage facilities , Smart cities , freight villages , Shipbuilding industries , water planes and many other things along the bank of this waterway

Last edited:

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@IndianYonko
Mr Gandakari was saying that we will make jetties and terminals with government funds where economic viability is less but will invite private players in those areas where economic viability is more I think that’s the reason he decided to make multimodal terminals in Haldia , Sahibganj and Varanasi with government funds but offering Patna and Kolkata port to be built by private players but Bhagalpur is also a big city with a population of around 5-6 lakh does it have economic viability? Can it attract an investment of INR 300-500 crore from some private player for making a port facility?

Last edited:

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
We should have these in our inland waterway terminals for mooring vessels it will reduce the labour cost and make transportation more efficient

IndianYonko

Country flag
@IndianYonko
Bhagalpur is also a big city with a population of around 5-6 lakh does it have economic viability? Can it attract an investment of INR 300-500 crore from some private player for making a port facility?
I don't think any city/town/district in Bihar has any credible cluster of industries. So if going by industries, I don't see any viability. But Industries can be set up. Given the waterway starts; these banks will have easy access to the sea, cheap labor concentration, plus close proximity with resource-rich central India, So viability is not there, but the potential to create a viable ecosystem exists. All of this depends on the internet.

Another thing is, entire Bihar is heavily invested in vegetable farming, So the government might also become an investor to allow easy mobilization of products.

Another thing is if we look into NWs passing through UP and Bihar We find the list as follows:
1618914312684.png

Actually, we can see from here that avg length of these NWs is high compared o other parts of India; plus these are perennial rivers. So an entire transportation ecosystem can be developed with these rivers as the backbone. This fits perfectly with the idea of Mr. Gadkari to give the waterway the front role and put roadways and railways behind them.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So this is how the freight will flow through national waterway 1
Freight from entire North India will come to Varanasi Multimodal Terminal and from there it will pass through national waterway 1 to Bay of Bengal
1618931436112.jpeg

This Waterway is part of Amritsar Delhi Kolkata Economic Corridor

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't think any city/town/district in Bihar has any credible cluster of industries. So if going by industries, I don't see any viability. But Industries can be set up. Given the waterway starts; these banks will have easy access to the sea, cheap labor concentration, plus close proximity with resource-rich central India, So viability is not there, but the potential to create a viable ecosystem exists. All of this depends on the internet.

Another thing is, entire Bihar is heavily invested in vegetable farming, So the government might also become an investor to allow easy mobilization of products.

Another thing is if we look into NWs passing through UP and Bihar We find the list as follows:
View attachment 86048

Actually, we can see from here that avg length of these NWs is high compared o other parts of India; plus these are perennial rivers. So an entire transportation ecosystem can be developed with these rivers as the backbone. This fits perfectly with the idea of Mr. Gadkari to give the waterway the front role and put roadways and railways behind them.
Kosi river is not a gigantic river like Ganga but it can serve entire Nepal as Nepal is not a big country
River Ganga is So huge in Bihar it can carry Ships weighing 2000 tonnes easily , that’s why I think this project will transform the economy of entire north India
North India depends on kandla port in Gujrat and Mumbai port in Maharashtra this waterway will eliminate the dependence of North India on these ports road and rail traffic will also reduce significantly decreasing cost and loss of human lives in accidents

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Kosi river is not a gigantic river like Ganga but it can serve entire Nepal as Nepal is not a big country
River Ganga is So huge in Bihar it can carry Ships weighing 2000 tonnes easily , that’s why I think this project will transform the economy of entire north India
North India depends on kandla port in Gujrat and Mumbai port in Maharashtra this waterway will eliminate the dependence of North India on these ports road and rail traffic will also reduce significantly decreasing cost and loss of human lives in accidents
What about narmada in mp , that is good enough

Global Defence

Articles