ISRO General News and Updates

Bheeshma

CY-2 is only in 2017. MOM-2 in 2018. Why would ISRO wait that long? The GSLV-2 with Indian cryo engine needs to be tested a few times before it launches the CY-2. I am surprised there is only one more launch this year. Hopefully 2-3 more in 2016 to build up confidence in GSLV-2.

Yumdoot

@CrYsIs
I am sorry but I don't track news about future launch plannings too closely so you may be right about Chandrayaan 2 being next.

The next logical step I was referring to was about the unfurlable high gain antenna meant for communication purposes. This has obvious quasi-military applications. In next few years the work being done could help us with Sat relays and datalinks network for all 3 branches and ICG. That was the more exciting thing for me.

But about your comment, seems like they wanted to test launch within this calendar year a GSLV Mk-3 with full crew capsule and all. That too would be a big deal.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...programme-Isro-chief/articleshow/45512185.cms

So I guess we can expect to see some more happy hours drinks even before Chandrayaan 2.

CrYsIs

Country flag
CY-2 is only in 2017. MOM-2 in 2018. Why would ISRO wait that long? The GSLV-2 with Indian cryo engine needs to be tested a few times before it launches the CY-2. I am surprised there is only one more launch this year. Hopefully 2-3 more in 2016 to build up confidence in GSLV-2.
The second mars mission won't be happening in 2018, i don't think so that it will take place before 2022-2024.It's because the 2nd mission will consist of an advanced orbiter along with a lander.Developing the tech for it will take considerable time and it can only be launched using a GSLV MK 3 which has to fly 3-4 times before using it for a planetary mission.

Chandrayaan 2 has now been postponed to early 2018.

With regards to the Vehicle GSLV MK 2,it's biggest test is to prove that it can carry a satellite in the weight range of 2100 kg to 2400 kg.So fat it has not been successfull with satellites weighing more than 2000 kgs

CrYsIs

Country flag
Russian tie-up to boost ISRO’s semicryogenic launcher plan

The national space programme looks set to ride on a new thaw in the 40-year-old Indo Russian Space ties, as indicated by the just unveiled memorandum of understanding between the Indian Space Research Organisation and Russian Federal Space Agency (ROSCOSMOS).

The MoU covering wide-ranging areas and which was firmed up in June is “just the beginning”. The development of the new, higher-power semi-cryogenic engine could be an immediate beneficiary, according to A.S. Kiran Kumar, Chairman of the Indian Space Research Programme.

Mr. Kiran Kumar told The Hindu, “[The MoU] is the initial process, a lot of discussions must be held before it takes a concrete shape. We would work on future systems of common interest. We have identified several areas and established working groups to go through them. We have to see how it develops.”

The ISRO is working on its new-generation, Rs. 1,800-crore third rocket programme, called the semi-cryogenic launch vehicle, to beef up its current portfolio of the PSLV and the GSLV. It will use space-grade kerosene and liquid oxygen as fuel and is meant to pitch spacecraft totally weighing six to ten tonnes to heights of 36,000 km. This would be double the lifting power of the GSLV and triple that of the PSLV. Only the U.S. and Russia have this technology.

Mr. Kiran Kumar said: “We are looking at using Russian testing facilities for the semi-cryogenic engine. We will be ready with the engine [SCE-200] in six to eight months. Although we will have our own test facility at Mahendragiri, ours will take some time to come up.”
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/sc...emicryogenic-launcher-plan/article7536263.ece

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

CrYsIs

Country flag
Will this be the end of ISRO's low cost launch capability to space? :facepalm:

20-km-high 'space elevator' could be a reality soon

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ld-be-a-reality-soon/articleshow/48526413.cms
ISRO's launching business was never low cost to begin with.I have mentioned this before in an earlier post.

Secondly this kind of launch has only limited capability and certainly cannot be used for all kinds of space applications.Vertical rockets are here to stay for a long time

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
GSLV-D6 / GSAT-6 Gallery

GSAT-6 is the twenty fifth geostationary communication satellite of India built by ISRO and twelfth in the GSAT series. Five of GSAT-6's predecessors were launched by GSLV during 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2014 respectively. After its commissioning, GSAT-6 will join the group of India's other operational geostationary satellites.

GSAT-6 Satellite provides communication through five spot beams in S-band and a national beam in C-band for strategic users. The cuboid shaped GSAT-6 has a lift-off mass of 2117 kg. Of this, propellants weigh 1132 kg and the dry mass of the satellite is 985 kg.

One of the advanced features of GSAT-6 satellite is its S-Band Unfurlable Antenna of 6 m diameter. This is the largest satellite antenna realised by ISRO. This antenna is utilised for five spot beams over the Indian main land. The spot beams exploit the frequency reuse scheme to increase frequency spectrum utilisation efficiency. The other advanced feature of the satellite is the 70 V bus, which is flying first time in an Indian communication satellite

. After its injection into GTO by GSLV-D6, ISRO's Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan takes control of GSAT-6 and performs the initial orbit raising manoeuvres by repeatedly firing the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) on-board the satellite, finally placing it in the circular Geostationary Orbit. After this, deployment of the antenna and three axis stabilisation of the satellite will be performed. GSAT-6 will be positioned at 83 deg East longitude.

Launch Mass:
2117 kg
Dimension:
2.1 x 2.5 x 4.1
Mission Life:
9 years
Power:
Generated power 3100 W
Type of Satellite:
Communication
Manufacturer:
ISRO
Owner:
ISRO

Cont.....

Last edited:

CrYsIs

Country flag

Diagrammatic description of the flight path.

Notice the core stage and the strap on separates together.This is the biggest drawback of this vehicle.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles