ISRO General News and Updates

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO sanctions Rs. 36 lakh to CGIPS
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has sanctioned Rs.36 lakh to the Centre for Geoinformatics and Planetary Studies (CGIPS), Periyar University, to carry out research on lunar and martian surfaces.
The ISRO has sanctioned the research project to S. Anbazhagan, Director for the Centre under its Announcement Opportunity (AO) programme, coordinated by the Space Application Centre, Ahmedabad, C. Swaminathan, Vice Chancellor of the University, said in a statement issued here on Thursday.
The Centre will utilise the funds for analysing data of Chandrayaan-1 and Mangalyan satellites to understand the geological activities of lunar and martian surfaces.
Prof. Anbazhagan, Principal Investigator of the projects, has said that the surfaces of the Mars preserve evidence for hydrological activity in the form of valley networks and outflow channels.
However, still the formation of valley networks on martian surface remains divisive and need in depth study and further evidences from all aspects. The available martian remote sensing data including the images obtained from the India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (Mangalyaan) will be useful for this research work.
The Centre was established in 2010 and was inaugurated by former President late A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
The centre particularly does the research on planetary surface, mainly on Moon and Martian surfaces. The centre already has collaboration with ISRO satellite centre for establishment of lunar terrain testing facilities at Bengaluru.
Prof. Anbazhagan and his team members supplied lunar soil stimulant for terrain facility, which is being utilised for the testing Rover and Landers of Chandrayan-II Mission. In addition, the Centre has also conducted various research studies on remote sensing applications, disaster mapping and mitigation, mineral exploration and sustainable groundwater studies.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO’s multi-orbit launch on anvil
The rocket will first place the 370-kg ScatSat-1, a weather satellite to watch for cyclones, in orbit 720 km above the earth.

The Indian Space Research
Nellore: The Indian Space Research Organisation is gearing up for its first-ever attempt to place satellites in different orbits from a single rocket launch next week.
ISRO will be attempting the feat when it launches the workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle-C35 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, at Shar, Sriharikota at 9.12 am on September 26.
The rocket will first place the 370-kg ScatSat-1, a weather satellite to watch for cyclones, in orbit 720 km above the earth. About an hour and 20 minutes later, it will inject seven smaller satellites into an orbit 670 km above the earth. Among the seven are two satellites, one of them from IIT-B, and five belonging to international customers including the US.
To achieve this, the fourth stage of the rocket will be ignited twice. The maximum time ISRO has taken for any launch is about 20 minutes after launch. Monday’s mission will last 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Satish Dhawan Space Centre director P. Kunhi Krishnan said the ScatSat-1 will be separated within 17 minutes of launch, after the fourth stage is shut off. The stage will be ignited briefly after 1 hour and 22 minutes and stopped. It will be started again about 40 minutes later, and the last satellite will be placed in orbit about 2 hours and 15 minutes after launch.
We have demonstrated the fourth stage engine restart capability. The fourth stage was restarted once in case of PSLV C-29 and twice with respect to PSLV-C34” Mr Kunhi Krishnan told this newspaper.
About ScatSat-1 from Wikipedia (@Akask kumar may be interested):
ScatSat-1 is a miniature satellite which will provide weather forecasting, cyclone prediction, and tracking services to India. It is being developed by ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore whereas its payload is being developed by Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad. The satellite will take place of Oceansat-2 which has become dysfunctional after its life span of four-and-a-half years. Currently India is dependent on NASA’s ISS-RapidScat for prediction of cyclone forecasting and weather prediction.[1] The data generated by this mini-satellite will be used by NASA, EUMETSAT and NOAA.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO on Twitter:
The Mission is ISRO's first attempt to put satellites in multiple orbits with a single rocket and will take more than 2 hours against usual 15-20 minutes.

As I'm busy Monday, somebody please track the launch.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
About the Scatterometer Satellite-1 (ScatSat-1) from ISRO website:
SCATSAT-1 is a continuity mission for Oceansat-2 Scatterometer to provide wind vector data products for weather forecasting, cyclone detection and tracking services to the users. The satellite carries Ku-band scatterometer similar to the one flown onboard Oceansat-2. The spacecraft is built around standard IMS-2 Bus and the mass of the spacecraft is 377 kg. The spacecraft will be put in SSP orbit of 720 km altitude with an inclination of 98.1 deg by PSLV-C35. The mission life of the satellite is 5 years.
The SCATSAT-1 is scheduled to be launched by PSLV-C35 on Monday morning at 9:12 hrs (IST) on September 26, 2016 from the First Launch Pad of SDSC SHAR , Sriharikota.

Launch Vehicle:
PSLV-C35 / SCATSAT-1
Type of Satellite:

Earth Observation
Manufacturer:
ISRO
Owner:
ISRO
Application:

Climate & Environment
Orbit Type:
SSPO

Akask kumar

scatsat1 mission is really imp because it will launch two sets of satellites in entirely different orbit as posted by @Indx TechStyle

its equivalent of launching two different rockets and placing the sats there,,, so success of this mission will further increase the efficiency of ISRO ,will save good amount of resources,funds,manpower...

I think GOI shud give bharat ratna to this org ISRO.. i knw bharat ratna is given to person but exceptions are everywhere..

Akask kumar

Do any other space agency have done it before ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
i think YES.. this should not be tough for NASA or Roscosmos.. all u have to do is reignite the engine after long duration of gap (between orbit transition) we tested this in the 20 sats mission

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
scatsat1 mission is really imp because it will launch two sets of satellites in entirely different orbit as posted by @Indx TechStyle

its equivalent of launching two different rockets and placing the sats there,,, so success of this mission will further increase the efficiency of ISRO ,will save good amount of resources,funds,manpower...

I think GOI shud give bharat ratna to this org ISRO.. i knw bharat ratna is given to person but exceptions are everywhere..
Well, I think in few years, we are going to give less importance to ISRO's every launch.
If you remember Chinese space thread, I cover only important launches cuz Chinese frequency is more than 20 launches an year. So, I can't cover everything.
Given rapid pace of increment of Indian launch frequency, same will happen here, mark my words.:p

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles