is south india richer than north ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airtel

Country flag
Bengal, Odisha...nuff said.

Geography can take you only thus far.

read history of bengal ..............it was one of the richest state in india , today it is poor just because of jehadi- communist nexus ............

Now odisha Although Odisha has a long coastline, it is as good as being landlocked as there are no nearby regions to trade with. The ocean is large and is prone to brutal cyclones. In contrast, Gujarat had the Arabs & Persians closeby, Bengal had southeast Asia close and the south had Sri Lanka close and also a part of ancient routes to the west. In fact, until after independence no major port was built in Odisha. British rule helped a few regions and hampered a few regions. They were not as important to the English trade and were thus let be economic backwaters. No major university or city was built under the British. Railways and roadway access was poor too.

salute

read history of bengal ..............it was one of the richest state in india , today it is poor just because of jehadi- communist nexus ............

Now odisha Although Odisha has a long coastline, it is as good as being landlocked as there are no nearby regions to trade with. The ocean is large and is prone to brutal cyclones. In contrast, Gujarat had the Arabs & Persians closeby, Bengal had southeast Asia close and the south had Sri Lanka close and also a part of ancient routes to the west. In fact, until after independence no major port was built in Odisha. British rule helped a few regions and hampered a few regions. They were not as important to the English trade and were thus let be economic backwaters. No major university or city was built under the British. Railways and roadway access was poor too.
what mayfair is pointing out is that its silly saying because of coastline southern states are rich .

Superdefender

If you take South India considering ethnicity, you have the four Dravidian states. But if you take South India considering geography, even Maharashtra will come in the catagory. In that case, I shall say SI is richer. In the first case, NI is richer. Basic difference is south Indians are more intelligent than north ones, but non necessarily in cleverness.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
. Basic difference is south Indians are more intelligent than north ones, but non necessarily in cleverness.
I doubt this just based on personal interactions. I've met smart and dumb people from both the South and the North. What I won't dispute is that South Indians are:

1) Ahead in terms of pursuit of education.
2) Free from ethnic strife (Partition, Khalistan, Assam movement, Naxalites) and effects of war (Punjab, Rajasthan, J&K are border states) for the most part.
3) Free from outside interference (Drug interference in Punjab by Pakistan, illegal immigration by Bangladeshis in Bengal)
4) More frugal by nature
5) Way ahead when it comes to women empowerment which has one of the most meaningful effects on human development
6) Less corrupt by nature

indiatester

Country flag
I doubt this just based on personal interactions. I've met smart and dumb people from both the South and the North. What I won't dispute is that South Indians are:

1) Ahead in terms of pursuit of education.
2) Free from ethnic strife (Partition, Khalistan, Assam movement, Naxalites) and effects of war (Punjab, Rajasthan, J&K are border states) for the most part.
3) Free from outside interference (Drug interference in Punjab by Pakistan, illegal immigration by Bangladeshis in Bengal)
4) More frugal by nature
5) Way ahead when it comes to women empowerment which has one of the most meaningful effects on human development
6) Less corrupt by nature
That was not the case from beginning. Most of the investments that were undertaken by GoI post independence have been in the northern states. Thing like
Dams
Educational Institutes
Rails
PSU's
etc went to northern regions before some came the way of southern states.
The only reason why southern states gained only recently was the investment into Engineering education and the explosion of IT

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
That was not the case from beginning. Most of the investments that were undertaken by GoI post independence have been in the northern states. Thing like
Dams
Educational Institutes
Rails
PSU's
etc went to northern regions before some came the way of southern states.
The only reason why southern states gained only recently was the investment into Engineering education and the explosion of IT
You quoted me but I never mentioned government investment?

indiatester

Country flag
You quoted me but I never mentioned government investment?
Trying to make the point (not well by the looks of it :doh:) that northern states were compensated for their troubles and populations where as southern states got onto the bandwagon of growth via investments from IT and other industries.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Trying to make the point (not well by the looks of it :doh:) that northern states were compensated for their troubles and populations where as southern states got onto the bandwagon of growth via investments from IT and other industries.
I think I get the point you are making. Punjab which is doing comparatively fine on the HDI index has had to face Partition, Punjabi Suba agitation, Akali movement, Bluestar and militancy and now about half its youth population is involved in drugs because of involvement of Pakistan. Also after the 65 war, the Indian government decided not to industrialize Punjab as much because it is a border state and they did not want critical infrastructure near the border.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
North-central and eastern parts are less developed, more feudal, chaotic.

But this also means that these parts have huge scope to contribute economic growth.

Population growth rate in south and west is going down fast. And after a certain point of development the economic growth rate will also have to slow down. At the same time these undeveloped regions that have more than half of India's population, will have their economic growth at peak. The literacy has now reached decent levels. Also globalization, exposure to media and internet plus political awareness and empowerment of lower castes in these states in last few decades means that the young population of these regions of all social strata are now ready to join mainstream economy.

So the silver lining of this unequal development is, it will ensure that unless there is some big disaster or really huge screw up by compromised governments, India will have sustained high economic growth rate for next 20-30 years.

So invest in Indian stock markets for long term.

salute

its stupidity of congis that they did not made any industrialization at punjab , yeah it borders with none other than terrorist pakis country ,

but then how israel built its industries when its surrounded by hostile states .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
few observations:
2) There are ethnic issues on the basis of caste. Reddy vs Chowdary etc in andhra, Gowda Vs Lingayat in Karnataka, Thevar Vs everyone else in Tamil Nadu. most issues in south stem from these divisions. The reason they don't flare up often is because all groups are equally rich and powerful. These differences can be seen in colleges. i was even surprised to find these issues in software companies in Hyd.

3) South had two major issues, naxal and LTTE. at the peak of the respective movements, people did suffer a lot. LTTE issue would not have been solved, if tamil nadu continued to support the cause. and it took an iron hand of naidu and YSR reddy to eliminate naxal menace.

Point is there are underlying issues past and present, but usually development is not a hostage to these undercurrents.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
2) There are ethnic issues on the basis of caste. Reddy vs Chowdary etc in andhra, Gowda Vs Lingayat in Karnataka, Thevar Vs everyone else in Tamil Nadu. most issues in south stem from these divisions. The reason they don't flare up often is because all groups are equally rich and powerful. These differences can be seen in colleges. i was even surprised to find these issues in software companies in Hyd.

3) South had two major issues, naxal and LTTE. at the peak of the respective movements, people did suffer a lot. LTTE issue would not have been solved, if tamil nadu continued to support the cause. and it took an iron hand of naidu and YSR reddy to eliminate naxal menace.
Interesting, I don't know enough about the South to compare these issues in intensity and effect with Sikh separatism and partition. But my maternal hometown for instance lost an entire generation of youth to militancy, they were all eliminated by police in encounters. Half of the youth in Punjab (some estimates are as high as 75%) are addicted to drugs which are peddled by Pakistan to weaken that state. Anyhow, seems like the answer to the OP of this thread is "yes", and the intent was at least partly to troll us.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Interesting, I don't know enough about the South to compare these issues in intensity and effect with Sikh separatism and partition. But my maternal hometown for instance lost an entire generation of youth to militancy, they were all eliminated by police in encounters. Half of the youth in Punjab (some estimates are as high as 75%) are addicted to drugs which are peddled by Pakistan to weaken that state. Anyhow, seems like the answer to the OP of this thread is "yes", and the intent was at least partly to troll us.
I know that northern india does not know much about the south, even now TV news coverage is skewed against south.

there is a running joke by me whenever i go on business trips outside of south. My icebreaker dialogue still is "South is not one state, it has five states, and all of us do not like to be called madrasi".

If bangalore and Hyderabad would not have come up as IT capitals, most people would not have cared about the south even now.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Anyhow, seems like the answer to the OP of this thread is "yes", and the intent was at least partly to troll us.
Bhai try to see other side of the coin.It reflects that we,as the citizen of this diverse-yet-united nation need to understand each others point of views and cultures.Only then we can face the problems that affect almost all of us.

Frankly speaking,as a gujarati i've no idea of cultural norms and problems of my fellow citizens who're from other states(though i had a Marwari room mate and we were aware of each other's culture and unique sets of problems).This problems,as a whole affect all of us.
Journalists nowadays just pour 'Ghee' in bonfire instead of doing their original job - so we often remain unaware of what is ACTUALLY going on in nation.But thanks to internet and various other media we're getting closer to each other (on virtual platform of course,otherwise people are becoming more and more socially inept nowadays.)
For me this isn't a troll thread at all,it reflects some loose knots that we still need to tighten by our own.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
there is a running joke by me whenever i go on business trips outside of south. My icebreaker dialogue still is "South is not one state, it has five states, and all of us do not like to be called madrasi".
I'm not that ignorant due to my Army brat background and having to interact with South Indian officers in my dad's regiment but agree about ignorance about South in general amongst North Indians.

mayfair

Today is the operative word.

Now odisha Although Odisha has a long coastline, it is as good as being landlocked as there are no nearby regions to trade with. The ocean is large and is prone to brutal cyclones.
This seems to contradict

Bengal had southeast Asia close and the south had Sri Lanka close and also a part of ancient routes to the west.
Odisha is closer to SE Asia than Bengal.

Odisha is truly blessed that it has huge mineral deposits and an extensive coastline which makes them accessible, not only to the rest of the country but the world as well. Australia which is truly "ocean locked" has raked in the moolah via its exports of raw materials around the world, so has Brazil which is tucked away on the other side of the world.

In fact, until after independence no major port was built in Odisha. British rule helped a few regions and hampered a few regions. They were not as important to the English trade and were thus let be economic backwaters. No major university or city was built under the British. Railways and roadway access was poor too.
British have been gone for 70 years now and yet these states lag behind the rest or even regress and they set to stay that way for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles