Is China About to Get Its Military Jet Engine Program Off the Ground?

J20!

Country flag
I read the whole article. It says you still import engines. WS-10 prototypes still require blades from outside. 80% of your fleet is still russian. Things may change in the future. But...

You still copy and still cant get the copying right.
And so says the guy from the country with an air force that doesn't have A SINGLE INDIGENOUS FIGHTER JET IN ITS ENTIRE INVENTORY, let alone a jet engine. Do you have a indigenous engine on ANY of your fighter's? Nope! And yet u laugh at us for having 20% of our fighters running on indigenous engines. Phuleeez, I'd take take this ridicule from anyone else, maybe an American, or a brit, but from the world's largest importer of military tech?!? Hells no! Where's Kaveri? It'll probably be ready in 2025, whereas the WS10A, the WS13 are in or about to enter service. hahahaha! Run along troll.

Once again, the WS10A and the Al31 aren't related you imbecile. You'd do well t check up on ur newspaper info once in a while.

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
So,if China can not produce good blades, why Boeing buy machine tools from China to build their blades?
Don't try to reason with a troll. When was the last time you read a post by trackwhack saying anything good about anything Chinese? I'd bet even Chinese orphanages are evil to him. Its like arguing with a blade of grass, yet I suspect the grass would be more receptive.

Daniel Chen

We have to design and make our jet engine, we don't need to depend on Russion, or it will be passiveness during the confict with the third part, it is also dangerous for China.

cir

and we have clowns and idiots like trackwhack who believes what is fed to them by the West as long as the feeds are negative about what China does。:rofl:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Can we cut the personal attacks please.

Country flag
Blades are one point but Chinese engines will never have enough thrust to meet
International level they can give away free planes to countries like pakistan but
Even that has failed when Pakistan brought it to an air show in turkey there
Was little to no interest in the plane. The thrust on Chinese warplanes have not improved
From the 30 year old LAVI program that all the planes are reversed engineered from.

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
Blades are one point but Chinese engines will never have enough thrust to meet
International level they can give away free planes to countries like pakistan but
Even that has failed when Pakistan brought it to an air show in turkey there
Was little to no interest in the plane.
Did you know that a WS10A produces more thrust than an AL31FP that powers the MKI? Or even a P&W F414? but then of course you wouldn't know that. Baseless assumptions are what power your thinking whenever China comes up. Think about it. That means that taihang powered J11B's in service today, have a much better thrust to weight ratio than any MKI in service. Kaveri? Compare that to the WS13, and it will probably go into service no less than 5 years after the WS13 starts service with Pakistani JF17 block II's.

We've sold jets to no less than 5 countries. How many have you sold? Little or no interest? Hahaha! Let me know when anyone buys an Indian missile. Not a jet, but just a missile, or even a tank. Then you can lecture me on military exports. No, you still couldn't considering that we sell everything from UAV's to submarines, what do you have to offer? The "indigenous" Dhruv?...

Last edited:
Country flag
Did you know that a WS10A produces more thrust than an AL31FP that powers the MKI? Or even a P&W F414? but then of course you wouldn't know that. Baseless assumptions are what power your thinking whenever China comes up. Think about it. That means that taihang powered J11B's in service today, have a much better thrust to weight ratio than any MKI in service. Kaveri? Compare that to the WS13, and it will probably go into service no less than 5 years after the WS13 starts service with Pakistani JF17 block II's.

Little or no interest? Hahaha! let me know when anyone buys an Indian missile. Not a jet, but just a missile, or even a tank. Then you can lecture me on military exports.

Give links as far as thrust ratios goes I bet you will not give one.
I have been hearing about ws 13 since it was ws 10 if you can believe
A forty years old third generation engine has more thrust than a
Sukhois that's fine but it sounds silly to many.

badguy2000

Respected Member
WS10 is still no as mature as AL31,but it still has enter into service.
WS10 has nothing to do with AL31.
WS15 is one generation ahead of AL31 and under research.

Country flag
so ws-13 and ws-15 do not exist and ws-10 is a failure? Where does the 4th generation
claim come from?

J20!

Country flag
Give links as far as thrust ratios goes I bet you will not give one.
I have been hearing about ws 13 since it was ws 10 if you can believe
A forty years old third generation engine has more thrust than a
Sukhois that's fine but it sounds silly to many.
Hahahah! It baffles considering how a simple Google search would save you the embarrassment yet you still want to argue...

Saturn AL-31 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shenyang WS-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saturn AL31FP: 27 700lbf 123 kN
WS10A: 132Kn

Check Janes if you still want to dispute facts...

Country flag
Liming WS10A Engine

The WS10, China's flagship jet fighter engine, remained seriously flawed after a quarter of century of development effort. The WS10 engine was intended to equip the new J-10 fighter, low-rate initial production of which was authorised in 2002. But at least the initial run of fifty J-10 aircraft were to be fitted with Russian AL-31F engines instead.

Taihang, for China's third generation J-10 fighter. In 1989, after almost a decade of preparation, the WS-10 core engine project started. On 12 June 1989,

The J-10 doesn't fly on WS-10A, it flies on AL-31FM imported engines from Russia.
The WS-10 is expected to eventually be installed on the J-10 and, possibly, the Su-27s that China is coproducing at Shenyang. According to the 2004 U.S. Defense Department report on Chinese military capabilities, "Recent testing reportedly has attained the standard of the Russian AL-31F." In December 2004, however, a contract was finalized for Russia's Salyut to supply 250 AL-31FN engines for the J-10 (in addition to 54 previously supplied), suggesting that as of 2005 development of the WS-10 had not been satisfactory.

But as late as 2007 the Chinese Air Force was still unhappy with the WS-10 engine, with performance and manufacturing quality issues plaguing the project.

In August 2009 a Chinese AVIC official admitted there were many problems facing the Taihang but declined to elaborate. Other possible issues include incidents of shedding turbine blades, oil leakage issues, and even one unconfirmed rumor of a new J�11BS fighter disintegrating in flight due to a Taihang engine failure."

Last edited:
Country flag

J20!

Country flag
so ws-13 and ws-15 do not exist and ws-10 is a failure? Where does the 4th generation
claim come from?
A failed engine being installed on single engine fighters? Your intelligence is astounding!!!

I don't know about you, but the WS-13 seems to exist, or is this a figment of my imagination?

Country flag
A failed engine being installed on single engine fighters? Your intelligence is astounding!!!

I don't know about you, but the WS-13 seems to exist, or is this a figment of my imagination?

Give me real proof not BS

Give me one link about ws-13 Let's see you get shifty.
From a real source like Janes that you mentioned.

badguy2000

Respected Member
claim come from?
I know little about ws13.,except that it is a reborn project based on aborted Tianshan21 core and for JF17

WS10 already has entered into service....it is still not as mature as AL31,which ususally means it is available,but its current performance is not as good as designed.

WS15 projects has gone on for over one decade....I just knew that its core has succeeded in passing frist ground-test in 2005.....

badguy2000

Respected Member
Liming WS10A Engine

The WS10, China's flagship jet fighter engine, remained seriously flawed after a quarter of century of development effort. The WS10 engine was intended to equip the new J-10 fighter, low-rate initial production of which was authorised in 2002. But at least the initial run of fifty J-10 aircraft were to be fitted with Russian AL-31F engines instead.

Taihang, for China's third generation J-10 fighter. In 1989, after almost a decade of preparation, the WS-10 core engine project started. On 12 June 1989,

The J-10 doesn't fly on WS-10A, it flies on AL-31FM imported engines from Russia.
The WS-10 is expected to eventually be installed on the J-10 and, possibly, the Su-27s that China is coproducing at Shenyang. According to the 2004 U.S. Defense Department report on Chinese military capabilities, "Recent testing reportedly has attained the standard of the Russian AL-31F." In December 2004, however, a contract was finalized for Russia's Salyut to supply 250 AL-31FN engines for the J-10 (in addition to 54 previously supplied), suggesting that as of 2005 development of the WS-10 had not been satisfactory.

But as late as 2007 the Chinese Air Force was still unhappy with the WS-10 engine, with performance and manufacturing quality issues plaguing the project.

In August 2009 a Chinese AVIC official admitted there were many problems facing the Taihang but declined to elaborate. Other possible issues include incidents of shedding turbine blades, oil leakage issues, and even one unconfirmed rumor of a new J�11BS fighter disintegrating in flight due to a Taihang engine failure."
WS10 has been tested on a J10 prototype.....the pictures was available over 1 year ago.
the case can prove that reliablity of WS10 has been fixed quitely,because nobody is foolish to let one single-engine J10 fly with one unreliable engine.

Country flag
I know little about ws13.,except that it is a reborn project based on aborted Tianshan21 core and for JF17

WS10 already has entered into service....it is still not as mature as AL31,which ususally means it is available,but its current performance is not as good as designed.

WS15 projects has gone on for over one decade....I just knew that its core has succeeded in passing frist ground-test in 2005.....
i think WS-10 may exist but even China does not want it? They want the planes with AL-31 engines. Why?

trackwhack

oh here comes the army.

J20, you troll, I have not the time to debate dumb with each of your comments. accept facts. WS-10 variants are still prototypes. WS-15 is still on the drawing board.

You 5th gen toy is the heaviest of the lot and will be powered by the weakest engine of the lot. Supercruise my ass. By 2025 maybe. Good luck.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles