INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

HarshBardhan

Casper

View attachment 21654

I am bit confused are both of the Machine guns same i.e DRDO-OFB made or Different?

The first one is OFB 7.62mm belt fed General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) which has now been in use with Para SF and Anti-Naxalite Forces .

Second one is also developed by OFB , I suppose. And both appear same also . @Johny_Baba can enlighten use in this matter

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
I think both machine gun are same and made by OFB. DRDO is making different light machine gun but picture of machine have not revealed yet by DRDO.
The first one is OFB 7.62mm belt fed General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) which has now been in use with Para SF and Anti-Naxalite Forces .

Second one is also developed by OFB , I suppose. And both appear same also . @Johny_Baba can enlighten use in this matter
This is FN Mag. Called GPMG in UK, Canada, Australia, and Indian service. The below one has a slightly different gas block, and picattiny rail above top cover, but the feed tray and the disintegrating link belt clearly indicates a Mag derivative.

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
@soikot banerjee @HarshBardhan @Vorschlaghammer

The first pic is definitely OFB made MAG 2A1,you can find technical specs about it on the official website at
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/17.htm

The second pic is a bit interesting.To me,it looks like a MAG - PKM hybrid gun,with internals taken from PKM while externals and feed tray are taken from MAG.
For more info on second gun,refer to my post at
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...indian-armed-forces.1496/page-19#post-1350254

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
@soikot banerjee @HarshBardhan @Vorschlaghammer

The first pic is definitely OFB made MAG 2A1,you can find technical specs about it on the official website at
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/17.htm

The second pic is a bit interesting.To me,it looks like a MAG - PKM hybrid gun,with internals taken from PKM while externals and feed tray are taken from MAG.
For more info on second gun,refer to my post at
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...indian-armed-forces.1496/page-19#post-1350254
Any pic of the internals ?

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

I am bit confused are both of the Machine guns same i.e DRDO-OFB made or Different?
Depending on the user requirement OFB can make MAG 2A1 (tripod) in service as MMG or with little change as GPMG configuration (Bipod ), since both are derived from FN Mag which OFB is locally producing since decades

GPMG version, however is in limited use

Last edited:

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Maybe there is a very simple reason for this, but since the INSAS was being produced in the 90s, and by then military rifles were using black furnitures, was there a specific reason why the INSAS used bright orange ones ? Doesn't really seem to help camouflage.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Maybe there is a very simple reason for this, but since the INSAS was being produced in the 90s, and by then military rifles were using black furnitures, was there a specific reason why the INSAS used bright orange ones ? Doesn't really seem to help camouflage.
Very first variant of INSAS had wooden furniture,like wooden pistol grip and buttstock and so.
Perhaps they kept its colour when they switched to the polymer ones.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I think second pic is GPMG which has lighter receiver to reduce weight. Bipod Old GPMG would weight around 11-12 kg but new MG is 9kg. I wonder this is the new light GPMG being developed by DRDO or there will be something completely new?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
OFB Belt fed 7.62*51 LMG

:balleballe:

I'm so happy to hear about this gun after so long.:biggrin2:

Ok,so sandeep says it is indeed a modernised FN MAG,has similar tilting bolt locking mechanism and so.

There goes my assumption that it is a MAG-PKM combo.

I hope this one would be inducted in large amounts,instead of Negev NG-7,

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles