INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Satellite image believed to be of INS Vikrant at Cochin Shipyard, with apparently a massive island.

The image in Google Maps is old.
It is not ins vikrant IAC rather its a Indian navy offshore warship which is in CSL for minor refit.due to low resolution the image seems like the island super structure of IAC .

ladder

Country flag
@ladder,well jeff's a a real authority on aircraft carriers(having worked for the US NAVY IN THE PAST),but in another forum,it was alleged that this was the carrier,so he just wanted clarification,sorry for disturbing you.

The Indan navy will celebrate the first anniversary of the vikramaditya this Sunday, say 2 of my friends(who have been invited) not from forum,but whom i know personally, the navy invited the families of the pesonnel of the Carrier for the anniversary party. my friends qill try to get photos if allowed.if they do i will post them: anyway the navy will release photos i suppose,the party will be held on the vikram.
Well that explains it.

==============

Will wait eagerly for the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Are you kidding me.....is that really a public parking spot next to the IAC with barely a 10 feet wall wired fence ?

This would be a dream situation for any Pak agents who wanted to sabotage the IAC project.

I just dont get it.
How can you have such a critical national security project being built with such a lax security perimeter.
Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes India.
In most countries, the general public wouldnt be able to get within half-a-mile of a critical navy project like Aircraft carrier or submarine dock.

Ajeesh Kumar S

sorry ...for my post breeching national security post 1486.i got this image from tarmak-007...i just reposted it for our indigenous product fans...

akshay m

National security?
i think perhaps we should delete these pictures, since they are not official ones released
@ladder,could you delete the pics i send you. feeling uncomfortable, that they are not official ones.

akshay m

@ladder ,thanks ,breach of national security are scary words, though i wasn't the one who took those pics, i found them being tweeted by naraayan krishnan on twitter, and i thought that MOD or navy had authorised the taking of those pics.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Are you kidding me.....is that really a public parking spot next to the IAC with barely a 10 feet wall wired fence ?

This would be a dream situation for any Pak agents who wanted to sabotage the IAC project.

I just dont get it.
How can you have such a critical national security project being built with such a lax security perimeter.
Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes India.
In most countries, the general public wouldnt be able to get within half-a-mile of a critical navy project like Aircraft carrier or submarine dock.
That was extremely surprising for me as well, there is an tall hotel in the vicinity as well that also has a terrace restaurant, I believe that place would be a great place to see the ship being built from up close.

karn

Country flag
I think its because CSL is a civilian shipyard and was chosen to build the IAC because MDL and garden reach did not have the capability to build such large ships ?

archie

Country flag
Either way its just the Hull thats being built.. i suppose the fittment will not happen here. it might be at some navy yard

Hari Sud

Country flag
A simple question for "Fanboys"

How much technology which went into the building and finally into commissioning of newer INS Vikrant is local and how much is imported or licensed.

Have we learnt enough to build our own before asking others for TOT. Remember technology imported is subject sanctions and restrictions. I give you an example - a great trainer in Pilatus has been imported for the IAF. One condition of sale is that it cannot be armed. The most annoying condition of sale is that India negotiate its own spares and service supply contracts with the 29 or more subsystem suppliers.

Articles