INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

ladder

Country flag
Thanks for the info Ladder but while going through the TACDE website T.A.C.D.E, Indian Airforce I just found this :

In addition to the helicopter courses, TACDE has been regularly conducting Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT) courses every year for the Sea Harrier pilots of the Indian Navy.

I was referring to the Mig 29 K/KUB pilots of IN....have nt come across any joint exercises of the Black Panthers with IAF units!! TACDE should also take in the MIG 29K/KUB pilots !!

Its just a thought I got while going through TACDE link and knowing that the IN pilots are training on their own hawks !!
Naval aviators were attached to MiG-29 IAF squadrons for training in anticipation of MiG-29k ( Between the time of order to delivery). But currently IN's MiG 29K are in beginning stage operation in IN and carrier landing is going on with help from Russian experts. So will take time before they develop fully the tactics and other requirement.

But, surely in future Navy will field MiG-29K in joint exercise with IAF and also multi-nation exercise like Malabar.

Santu

Maintaining Combat air patrols to defend the carrier against enemy aircraft and performing anti ship operations. Low useful payload due to lack of catapult constrains the ability of the aircraft to perform strike operations. Don't compare this CBG to American CBGs.
AC is considered as floating Airstrip which we can take close to enemy coastline and attack their naval bases and assets and do some bomibing.. It's main purpose of an Aircraft carrier whether it's american or British or russian or indian.. If you use a Aircrafts on AC and CBG's to protect carrier what's the point in having one??? We are not going use AC just to fire Surface to surface missile.. Your logic has a flaw..

Defcon 1

Country flag
AC is considered as floating Airstrip which we can take close to enemy coastline and attack their naval bases and assets and do some bomibing.. It's main purpose of an Aircraft carrier whether it's american or British or russian or indian.. If you use a Aircrafts on AC and CBG's to protect carrier what's the point in having one??? We are not going use AC just to fire Surface to surface missile.. Your logic has a flaw..
No one said anything about surface to surface missiles. Yes, the main purpose of an AC is strike, but then those ACs always carry strike aircrafts. That is why all carrier fighters, be it, F18, F35, Rafale-M, F14, all were always strike fighters. However neither NLCA nor Mig29K are strike fighters. The A2G capability was added to the Mig29 radar only in the upgraded version and LCA is yet to test any anti ship or air to surface missile. Plus, the fact that strike aircraft typically have high range and payload, which is not possible in STOBAR carriers. Add to that the fact that Mig29K is double engined, it burns fuel quickly. There is a reason why it was termed as short legged. So, while Mig29K will be able to perform strike operations if needed, its primary role still will be air defence.

Last edited:

KLANman

Greetings, India's indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) 'Vikrant' was launched on the 12th August 2013 - Does anyone know how far this carrier's construction has progressed since then? Does anyone have any recent photographs? Cheers KLANman

Dhairya Yadav

Im just wondering if the Navy is saying the true stats concerning Vikrant, just like Arihant and Agni missiles range . I was looking at its launch pics and when comparing it with people's size, it looked bigger than something that will displace 40,000 tons...

rohit b3

Country flag
What the officials/Navy says is the "Standard Weight". Things can get much heavier with "Full Load". I bet Vikrant will go to around 45000 atleast at Full.

pmaitra

@Shaitan, thank you. Finally, a different picture of the IAC from you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
While outfitting and shafting have gathered momentum on Vikrant, the carrier is gearing up for its launch from the building bay by the end of the year, indicate sources.

"The carrier only has about 1,200 tonnes of steel left to go on the structure. Right now, it has a tonnage of about 24,000."
Cochin Shipyard stares at a lean order book - The Hindu

======================

A sister ship of Vikrant, with the same specification should be built.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
India's 1st indigenous aircraft carrier taking shape at Kochi

India's first indigenous aircraft carrier was taking shape in the Cochin Shipyard Limited at Kochi, one of the nine Defence PSUs in the country, where 85 per cent of the work relating to its hull are complete, a senior official said here today.

"Around 85 per cent of the hull is complete and 90 per cent of the fabrication is over. 85 per cent of the erection has been over," Commodore K Subramaniam (Retd), CSL Chairman and Managing Director told reporters on the sidelines of a function organised by the CII.

Interacting with journalists in the sidelines of a CII- organised conference on 'Approach to Integrated Maritime Systems' here, he said many elements of innovations were being incorporated in the building of the aircraft carrier.

"For instance, the Navy wanted a 14 degree ski-jump in the foxle of the ship for easy taking off of fighter planes, for which a big piece of iron had to be welded, which was also trimming down the ship to the front.

"We have employed a big piece of iron in the hull area, which will function as a buoyant, which has made the keel of the hull float horizontally. Likewise, we have made many innovations in the building."

Replying to a query, he said the degree of indigenous equipment in the aircraft carrier was very high, barring the aviation, for which the county was dependent on Russia. "We can say around 80 per cent of the ship is indigenous."

Elaborating on the localisation, he said that the metal sheets used for the building of the ship was designed by the Hyderabad-based Defence Research Development Laboratory and production was being done by Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).

CSL was looking to focus on ship repair industry, Subramaniam said.

"We are also focusing on ship repair, which is a USD 12 billion or Rs 60,000 crore industry across the globe. But in India it is a less than Rs 1,000 crore. We are investing in 40 acre land of the port in Kochi with an investment of Rs 480 crore," he said.

Commenting on the growth of the ship building in India, he said that there were many obstacles including the taxing, which posed major challenges to the industry.

"Right now, it would be easy for the Shipping Corporation of India to buy ships from abroad than get it from us, since it would involve a lot of taxes. These challenges have to be overcome with a comprehensive maritime shipping policy, which would provide the blue print for all the challenges facing the industry," Subramaniam added.

India's 1st indigenous aircraft carrier taking shape at Kochi | Business Standard News

happy

Wow, thats good news indeed. Now some photos to satiate our curiosity :)

akshay m

the superstructure of of ins vikrant has been attached to the ship, also the stern seems to be complete. anyone interested can see satellite imagery through isro's bhuvan 3d(if you have the patience for the satellite image to get loaded).the image is hazy but its clear that the superstructure has been integrated.interesting thing is i think i can see the landing runway

at the time of last editing i think they are doing something in the foreward area infront of the superstructure (colour difference goes from blue to brown)

Last edited:

akshay m

the superstructure of of ins vikrant has been attached to the ship, also the stern seems to be complete. anyone interested can see satellite imagery through isro's bhuvan 3d(if you have the patience for the satellite image to get loaded).the image is hazy but its clear that the superstructure has been integrated.interesting thing is i think i can see the landing runway

at the time of last editing i think they are doing something in the foreward area infront of the superstructure (colour difference goes from blue to brown)
anyone knows what they are doing infront of the superstructure.

sgarg

I think they should first float it and make it operational, find flaws, amend the design, and then build the sister ship. Ditto with the Arihant.

In other words, I disagree with the "same specification" part.
Sir, building one of each class is not a good idea. Supporting one off equipment is a pain.

Actually it is very logical to build a class of three based on same design.

Given long build period of around 10 years, it makes a lot of sense to start the next ship now.

Catapult is a complex system. We must not create a huge dependency on Americans for our critical equipment. The STOBAR is a decent ship for India.

pmaitra

Sir, building one of each class is not a good idea. Supporting one off equipment is a pain.

Actually it is very logical to build a class of three based on same design.

Given long build period of around 10 years, it makes a lot of sense to start the next ship now.

Catapult is a complex system. We must not create a huge dependency on Americans for our critical equipment. The STOBAR is a decent ship for India.
I should have clarified.

They should be the same design from a holistic point of view. What I am saying is, they should first float the ship, and if they find flaws (especially this is our first time), they should amend the design. So, the second ship will be more or less the same design, with amendments. It's just that it will not be the exact same design.

For example, look at the Russian Arktika Class of ships. They built few with a sharp edged hulls, thinking it will cut through the ice, and realized that a smooth hull does the job better, so they built the newest one with smooth edged hull. These are the minor modifications that keep the design more or less the same, but not exactly the same.

Arktika Class "Yamal"

Arktika Class "50 Years of Victory"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles