INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
India to launch indigenous aircraft carrier today | idrw.org

SOURCE: REUTERS

Its flight deck is over twice the size of a football field, its power unit can light up the entire Kochi city and the cabling is enough to cover the distance between here to Delhi. India's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC), to be launched here on Monday, is the biggest warship to be built in the country and will make it the fifth country to have capacity to build such huge vessels.Being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited, the IAC is expected to be a centrepiece of Indian Navy's power in the coming years and will be equipped with modern weapons systems including long range surface-to-air missiles (LR SAM) and close-in weapons system (CIWS).

The aircraft carrier will be launched into water Monday by Elizabeth Antony, wife of Defence Minister A.K. Antony. It will be redocked for erecting the island superstructure (for flight control systems) above its flight deck and the remaining underwater work.The indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), MiG-29K combat jets and a range of helicopters will be deployed on the carrier.The IAC, to be christened INS Vikrant, will be 260 metre in length and 60m in breadth and can attain speeds in excess of 28 knots (56 km per hour), said Commodore Saibal Sen, additional principal director, Naval Design.

"It's flight deck is over twice the size of a football field. There will be about 2,500 km of power cabling and 1,000 km of other cabling and it will have power generation capacity of 24 MW which must be the peak power load of Cochin city," Sen told IANS.He said IAC can deploy over 30 aircraft and helicopters.

Standing majestically at the CSL here with its ski-jump (on the flight deck) giving it a muscular appeal, the IAC will have approximate displacement (weight) of 18,500 tonnes at its launch.The warship is decorated with flags, colourful umbrellas and buntings in an apparent reflection of the joy of personnel who have strived for years to put in place its structure and install gas turbines, engines, gear box and other heavy machinery.Major outfitting work is expected to be completed by 2016 after which extensive sea trials will be conducted.The carrier is expected to be delivered to the navy by the end of 2018.

CSL chairman Commodore K. Subramaniam said that several innovations have gone into making the warship including special grade high tensile steel and pontoons to provide additional float at the time of launch."IAC is a big step towards self-reliance. Only handful of countries operate such vessels and only a few who can build them," Subramaniam said.Navy officials said India will be the fifth country after the US, Russia, Britain and France to have the capacity to design and build aircraft carriers of 40,000 tonnes and above.The aircraft carrier has been designed by Indian Navy's design organisation.

Vice Admiral K.R. Nair, controller, Warship Production and Acquisition, said every Indian will feel a sense of pride that the country has launched an aircraft carrier.

"For people like us who have been associated with the production, the feeling (of pride) is that much more," he said.IAC's long take-off strip will be 206 metres and short-take-off would be 145 metres. It will have a crew of about 1,450.Officials said that Navy plans to have three aircraft carriers, one each for the seas along eastern and western coasts and one for requirements of maintenance.Aircraft carrier Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov) is expected to be delivered to the Navy by the end of this year.

lookieloo

The aircraft carrier will be launched into water Monday by Elizabeth Antony, wife of Defence Minister A.K. Antony. It will be redocked for erecting the island superstructure (for flight control systems) above its flight deck and the remaining underwater work...
:confused: Gotta beat China into the water I suppose... at least officially.

Bheeshma

LoL china has to learn how to take a ship or sub 100 miles away from shore first.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
:confused: Gotta beat China into the water I suppose... at least officially.
Well, AFAIK, that's how a large ship is built.

1) Keel is laid in dry dock
2) Below water line hull is built and then launched for the first time
3) Above water line hull is built in wet dock
4) Ship is pulled in dry dock to install propulsion systems and upper hull
5) Launched for the second time to wet dock and superstructure and finishing is done.

Keeping a ship in dry dock for 8-10yrs for the entirety of it's build is not practical as it means no other ship can utilize the dry dock for that duration.

Experts can correct me if I have stated anything wrong.

LTE-TDD

30% completion need 2 launchs? how many launches will delievry for sea trials?

lookieloo

Well, AFAIK, that's how a large ship is built.

1) Keel is laid in dry dock
2) Below water line hull is built and then launched for the first time
3) Above water line hull is built in wet dock
4) Ship is pulled in dry dock to install propulsion systems and upper hull
5) Launched for the second time to wet dock and superstructure and finishing is done.

Keeping a ship in dry dock for 8-10yrs for the entirety of it's build is not practical as it means no other ship can utilize the dry dock for that duration.

Experts can correct me if I have stated anything wrong.
I dunno. In these days of modular drydock construction, keel-laying ceremonies don't have a keel and launch ceremonies aren't really launches; so I guess these respective shindigs could take place whenever the hell one feels like it. Technically, this ship was "launched" some time ago, and I get the impression that this is a mere matter of letting the water in, having a nice parade, then pumping it right back out (haven't heard if the ship will actually be moved).

bose

Country flag
Congratulations to all who worked with the project and especially to Cochin Shipyard for taking up the challenge...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

^^ From these pics, Its hardly looks that those Gun placement for some bigger caliber, But some thing like AK-630..

charlyondfi

Couldn't really figure out that angeled deck. Do I miss it or it will be installed later?

Putting into water may not mean anything, operational is (shadow of Kolkata class). Nevertheless, it's still a good progress after especially such a long wating for Vikramaditya. It will help IN scores ahead of its rivalry if all goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Cochin Shipyard CMD Commodore K Subramaniam said there were a few challenges during IAC construction. "Availability of quality steel and acquisition of machines were some of them. It is the first time the shipyard, which had so far constructed only commercial vessels, undertook the construction of a warship," he said. It will be a pontoon-assisted launch on Monday, the Commodore said.

Having ski jump in the first phase itself was another challenge.

"The Navy wanted ski jump in the first phase itself. They said only then will it look like a warship. That was another challenge," he said.

Construction of next indigenous aircraft carrier in the offing - The New Indian Express

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Couldn't really figure out that angeled deck. Do I miss it or it will be installed later?

Putting into water may not mean anything, operational is (shadow of Kolkata class). Nevertheless, it's still a good progress after especially such a long wating for Vikramaditya. It will help IN scores ahead of its rivalry if all goes smoothly.
yes the portion is yet to be completed

Maybe it is launched in water at the capacity of the dry dock that is the dry dock cannot take more weight for later flooding and releasing the ship or maybe to engage the dry dock for other purpose as the hull is already float worthy and under body construction had been completed.

other Indian Naval Ships had followed similar process too.

INS SATAPURA

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Don't you find it amazing to have done to this level just within 4-5 years ? I thinks it's a very good speed, specially when compared to Vikramaditya.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Another point to be noted is an angled deck if constructed would have interfered with the movement of the cranes.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles