INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Defcon 1

Country flag
Now on the point of specs.... Where did u see that there is hardly any difference in specs???? I will really like to see the source for this...
Air force LCA Mk-2 is supposed to get IOC by 2017. So NLCA Mk-2 shouldn't take long after that.

We know the specs for LCA Mk1. We also know that external stores capacity of NLCA will be about 5 tonnes whereas it is 6 tonnes for Mig29K. We also know that NLCA will use AESA radar while Mig29K uses Zhuk ME radar. We also know that internal fuel capacity of NLCA is slightly is less than half of that of Mig 29K but since Mig29K is dual engined, there shouldn't be much difference in the endurance.

Last edited:

Crusader53

Air force LCA Mk-2 is supposed to get IOC by 2017. So NLCA Mk-2 shouldn't take long after that.

I think your being optimistic about when to expect the N-LCA to enter service. Nonetheless, as I have stated before I think the N-LCA will be used more in the role of an Advance Trainer. Then a Strike Fighter in the class of the Hornet or Mig-29K. Which, is a role that is much needed and one the N-LCA would be perfect for. IMHO

bhramos

Country flag

We know the specs for LCA Mk1. We also know that external stores capacity of NLCA will be about 5 tonnes whereas it is 6 tonnes for Mig29K. We also know that NLCA will use AESA radar while Mig29K uses Zhuk ME radar. We also know that internal fuel capacity of NLCA is slightly is less than half of that of Mig 29K but since Mig29K is dual engined, there shouldn't be much difference in the endurance.
basically no Fighter need powerful radar, in real war, fighters are ussually switch off their radars and guided by AWACS or other planes or even may be GPS co'ord's then switching the radar means your radar signature can be seen far on land and be guided by Enemy AWACS...

What ever, the conclusion on Carrier fighters is Twin engine fighters are safe then Single engine fighters.. N-LCA/ F-LCA with single engine are only best for Surprise Attacks then Defending the Carrier Battle Groups..

if you have more doubts about MiG-29K Vs N-LCA discuss here: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/defence-strategic-issues/16715-mig-29k-vs-nlca.html

Defcon 1

Country flag
basically no Fighter need powerful radar, in real war, fighters are ussually switch off their radars and guided by AWACS or other planes or even may be GPS co'ord's then switching the radar means your radar signature can be seen far on land and be guided by Enemy AWACS...

What ever, the conclusion on Carrier fighters is Twin engine fighters are safe then Single engine fighters.. N-LCA/ F-LCA with single engine are only best for Surprise Attacks then Defending the Carrier Battle Groups..

if you have more doubts about MiG-29K Vs N-LCA discuss here: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/defence-strategic-issues/16715-mig-29k-vs-nlca.html
Hi, fighter radar might not be important for detection purposes but missile guidance rests on fighter radar. I believe of the current crop of missiles, only AIM120 can be guided by AWACS. Also AWACS guidance will not be as accurate as fighter radar guidance.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
Hi, fighter radar might not be important for detection purposes but missile guidance rests on fighter radar. I believe of the current crop of missiles, only AIM120 can be guided by AWACS. Also AWACS guidance will not be as accurate as fighter radar guidance.
now we have KH-35 AShM, when fired it at a Target shown by AWACS and can get locked, automatically at final phase it operates its own radar and guide itself to the Target...

Crusader53

Does anybody have any more pics? As it was by understanding the ship was back in the slip and construction was continuing.....

p2prada

Hi, I have a question. What advantages will Mig29K provide over NLCA Mk-II?
The biggest advantage being Mig-29K is ready for combat, LCA Mk2 is a paper plane.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in specs.
There will be massive differences in specs. IMA architecture, AESA, new engine, greater T/W etc on LCA.

Mig-29K has greater endurance, over 2200Km compared to LCA's sub 2000Km range. Apart from that, Mig-29K has 5 wet points over LCA's 3 wet points. Mig-29K has greater weapons load in terms of hardpoints (7 vs 9).

EXPERT

i guess we get something new in IAC 1 which can dominate others in the region. its really not good to expect this much from our engineers because this our first one but hope for IAC2 might we get something new in design or some other aspects.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
i guess we get something new in IAC 1 which can dominate others in the region. its really not good to expect this much from our engineers because this our first one but hope for IAC2 might we get something new in design or some other aspects.
We have years of experience in using Aircraft Carriers so whatever the result may be, it wont be less than a world class product.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles