INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
You can see in this Image a Submarine under construction in Mumbai dry dock. I dont remember which part of the Naval Base i saw this earlier but it seems to have moved because google has updated its pics may be! May be this is the second Arihant Class under construction.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

SHASH2K2

Too small to be 6000 ton Arihant, looks more like Kilo or HDW type submarine. On side note i don't think Navy people would allow a secrete submarine to get constructed in open docks. Even the vague pictures of Arihant show a long submarine in roofed flooded dock.
completely agree with you .Arihant was supposed to be a secret project and common people were definitely not allowed to know about it. I am sure it will not be built in open air dock. A top secret project in Open air Dock?

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Too small to be 6000 ton Arihant, looks more like Kilo or HDW type submarine. On side note i don't think Navy people would allow a secrete submarine to get constructed in open docks. Even the vague pictures of Arihant show a long submarine in roofed flooded dock.
Why does the tags in your Google picture say Cochin dry dock instead of Vishakapatinam?!!

It looks far bigger than the Diesel Submarine's stationed in the docks, more over we are not constructing other submarines i think?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why does the tags in your Google picture say Cochin dry dock instead of Vishakapatinam?!!
It says 'Cochin' because IAC-1 is being built at Cochin shipyard limited and that Google Earth pic was of IAC-1. I think you are getting confused between IAC-1(Cochin) and ATV(Vizag or Visakhapatnam).

It looks far bigger than the Diesel Submarine's stationed in the docks, more over we are not constructing other submarines i think?
I said so by comparing the size of that submarine with Delhi class destroyers which are at 7 o'clock to that submarine. As visible that submarine is almost half in length to those destroyers. And when i deduced that in numerical figure i found that length of that submarine will be anywhere in between 80 to 90 meters as Delhi Class destroyers are almost 163 meters in length. Though classified but as one Frontline magazine claims the ATV is almost 110 meters long.

May be they are/were in dry dock for repair it looks more likely because there is one small ship ahead. However one more possibility is that the submarine in picture is Scorpian as photo dates 25th Jan 2010.

All i all it is very hard for me to accept that navy will construct its top secret ship in an open dock. Though i can be wrong because submarine construction requires handling and lifting of blocks by cranes and they normally don't fit under roofed docks.

Last edited:

Crusader53

So true you are, F-35 got delayed by 3 years. :emot15:
True, yet the F-35 (JSF) is the most complex Fighter ever to be designed. Plus, it will be available in three totally different models.

Last edited:

Crusader53

MOds pls. forgive me this is OT,

There are scores of problem with F-35 aka white elephant, Software, it's relevance & feasibility, price, delays, Engine & many more undisclosed one. In addition overall programme is under doubt. With F-35 US is doing mass fooling & huge business by developing threat perception in the mind of it's so called allies or scapegoats. It's just illusion projected by US for interoperability with this A/C is nothing just making surrender of it's allies to US hegemony on the name of security umbrella/friendship/allies etc as per the wishes of US.

I am sure it will be very costly to live with F-35.

Sorry, maybe you should do a little research on the F-35. Before you make such ridiculous statements.

Please, "in addition overall programme is under doubt". LOL:emot15:

Would you like to provide a source that supports such statements??? No, JSF Partner has left the Program and several additional countries have shown strong interest. As a matter of fact Israel has already placed an order and is already discussing about purchasing another.

Further, if you want to compare the F-35 Development with other Modern Day Fighter Programs. It is doing extremely well. Especially, considering the F-35 is three different airplanes in one. Let's not forget the many problems the F-22 went thru......it even crashed at one point.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
You can see in this Image a Submarine under construction in Mumbai dry dock. I dont remember which part of the Naval Base i saw this earlier but it seems to have moved because google has updated its pics may be! May be this is the second Arihant Class under construction.

View attachment 2132
If it was mumbai then it was NOT the Arihant. Mazagon dock is making the scorpenes.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
True, yet the F-35 (JSF) is the most complex Fighter ever to be designed. Plus, it will be available in three totally different models.
True, F-35 the most complex fighter ever to be designed in US similarly IAC-1 is also the most complex, yet largest, yet very first carrier ever to be designed and built in India.

Crusader53

True, F-35 the most complex fighter ever to be designed in US similarly IAC-1 is also the most complex, yet largest, yet very first carrier ever to be designed and built in India.

If, the IAC-1 is complex wait til India starts on the IAC-2!

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

View attachment 2132
Arihant-class subs are being built at SBC Vizag, not Mazgaon Docks Mumbai.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
If, the IAC-1 is complex wait til India starts on the IAC-2!
If F-35 is complex and struggling in spite of having developed F-22 and F-18 and having VTOL master BAE as a prime partner then wait for some time for even seeing Indian Navy even considering it as probable.

Last edited:

Crusader53

If F-35 is complex and struggling in spite of having developed F-22 and F-18 and having VTOL master BAE as a prime partner then wait for some time for even seeing Indian Navy even considering it as probable.

It will likely be at least 2-5 years before India signs for a New Naval Fighter. So, we will all have to wait a while for anything definitive.

BTW The F-35 Program is hardly struggling. Further, while it is related to the F-22. Which, is made by the same Company. (i.e. Lockheed Martin) It has nothing in common with the Hornet and/or Super Hornet. That are both made by Boeing.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Well are there any recent pics on the development? I`m keen to see our indigenous AC as soon as possible.
Please anyone post it if you have them.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
New magnetic catapult for aircraft carriers

Magnetic Catapults

For more than a half-century, the U.S. Navy has gotten fighter planes airborne off an aircraft carrier by using steam-powered catapults.

But the Navy proved over the weekend that may soon change.

For the first time, the Navy successfully sent off an F/A-18 fighter in a test at a naval station in Lakehurst, N.J., using an innovative new electromagnetically powered launch system.

The Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System, dubbed EMALS, is designed for future aircraft carriers and is expected to supply 30% more launch power, slinging everything from heavy fighters to smaller drones into flight. The government has said EMALS "lowers overall operating costs and reduces maintenance over current steam systems."

Current catapults generate power by piping water through onboard nuclear reactors. The steam builds up and propels a piston that's attached to the nose gear of aircraft down a track. (Remember the thick clouds sweeping across the deck in "Top Gun"?)

The system involves pumps, motors and hydraulics. The military says a lot can go wrong and it's pricey to maintain.

EMALS, on the other hand, has fewer moving parts, using a motor that energizes a series of electromagnets that thrust a jet down the track.

The system is built by General Atomics, the San Diego-based company that builds Predator and Reaper killer drones. It recently signed a $676-million contract to build and deliver the system for the yet-to-be finished U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford in 2011.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/12/navy-catapalt-general-atomics-.html

Heard sometime back that IN too, interested..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System operation -

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
us will most likely be unwilling to share with us emals technogy,a joint venture with russia for emals for iac2 will be a good option

Crusader53

icecoolben

There was a report about Indian navy jointly developing shore based EMALS with Israel, it was not an exclusive news of course, it was part and parcel of E2d Hawkeye and IAC -2 at 60 k tons analysis news.I tried to find it. But I'm empty handed now. When I find it, will post.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles