INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

spacemarine2023

Country flag
Kind of..
It took off with assumed 21T mtow from landbased ramp in Goa. Maybe if A.C. is sailing at 25 knots it can add 1T more. But yeah not having catapult surely affects MTOW which is 24.5T for Rafale-M.
Fighters rarely fly MTOW … combat missions are optimised load a fine balance … Rafale M from Vikrant will have plenty of range with good load for its roles that I am cetain

abingdonboy

Country flag
Kind of..
It took off with assumed 21T mtow from landbased ramp in Goa. Maybe if A.C. is sailing at 25 knots it can add 1T more. But yeah not having catapult surely affects MTOW which is 24.5T for Rafale-M.
For the extreme situations where you need full MTOW ops you can do buddy-buddy refuelling

But having so few dedicated tankers in Indian service is a seriously retarded situation despite 3 attempts being made to get something new. Taking off with full weapon loads then meeting up with a MRTT somewhere deep in the IOR is quite a decent option if india had enough to forward-deploy them to the peninsular, A&N and even oversees friendly nations. At this rate the IN might have to buy their own. Every STOBAR carrier should probably have a MRTT bought with it

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
For the extreme situations where you need full MTOW ops you can do buddy-buddy refuelling

But having so few dedicated tankers in Indian service is a seriously retarded situation despite 3 attempts being made to get something new. Taking off with full weapon loads and then meeting up with an MRTT somewhere deep in the IOR is quite a decent option if India had enough to forward-deploy them to the peninsular, A&N and even oversees friendly nations. At this rate, the IN might have to buy their own. Every STOBAR carrier should probably have an MRTT bought with it

I wonder why the MRTT is being bought using a public tender process. There is no benefit to making these tankers in India. The only option for such orders is to place a G2G order to ensure a speedy process. Airbus would be more than happy to provide A330 MRTT, given the business it gets from our civilian airlines (it's more than anything that their home EU base can provide collectively).

Using elements of civilian businesses to pressure Airbus is a good way to get a lucrative discount on the MRTT. I guess that the babus don't want to present the civilian side as leverage, lest they get the credit of helping the government out of a sticky deal.

I am of the radical opinion that a bit of IAF's budget should be cut and allotted to the Navy as a punishment for failing at all the aircraft deals in the last 15 years. Let the Navy have their MRTTs and let IAF show that they are capable of inducting modern jets in time and without any hurdles.

johnj

I wonder why the MRTT is being bought using a public tender process. There is no benefit to making these tankers in India. The only option for such orders is to place a G2G order to ensure a speedy process. Airbus would be more than happy to provide A330 MRTT, given the business it gets from our civilian airlines (it's more than anything that their home EU base can provide collectively).

Using elements of civilian businesses to pressure Airbus is a good way to get a lucrative discount on the MRTT. I guess that the babus don't want to present the civilian side as leverage, lest they get the credit of helping the government out of a sticky deal.

I am of the radical opinion that a bit of IAF's budget should be cut and allotted to the Navy as a punishment for failing at all the aircraft deals in the last 15 years. Let the Navy have their MRTTs and let IAF show that they are capable of inducting modern jets in time and without any hurdles.
Navy also having similar issues. P75I, LPD, MCMV, Fleet replenishment ship, NHS, etc
FYI- MRTT tender terminated due to lack of funds, or too expensive for GoI, and GoI cancelled the deal, not IAF
Better transfer these funds to IA, they can use it to buy more drones, missiles, rockets.
Lets when MoD conclude IAC2 and start releasing funds for CSL to build second AC.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
i m in big favour of making a second vikrant class aircraft carrier, which will save time nd money. it increase indian navy muscle in indian ocean...yeah stobar configuration hv limitation for aircraft to carry less fuel nd weapon. but again just imagine if two our aircraft carrier ready for a mission, with all its carrier battle group. they can carry 26 mig 29 nd 26 rafale fighter. these 52 aircraft isnt joke for any navy, except USA. even chinese nd russian face serious threat against these two CBG nd 52 aircrafts in indian ocean.
hope brahmos ng program will not face delays...it will increase antiship capabilities of mig 29 nd rafale. nd if war time 3rd aircraft carrier also available, that will make 78 fighters in sea. hope indian navy solve its diesel submarine procurement plans. nd decide quickly to make 24 diesel submarine. that will secure indian ocean for us. first we should dominate indian ocean, after that we can think of other oceans. 🙏🇮🇳

abingdonboy

Country flag

There was talk of France offering a package deal (with discounts) for a repeat purchase of Rafales+MRTT, if Indian side is serious I’m sure similar can happen for the Rafale M deal

issue is the default is always an open tender, fhe whole L1/L2 prison

bean counters refuse to accept the 330 MRTT and any G2G would be spun as a scandal by the opposition especially since their Rafale scam narrative flopped

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
There was talk of France offering a package deal (with discounts) for a repeat purchase of Rafales+MRTT, if the Indian side is serious I’m sure similar can happen for the Rafale M deal

the issue is the default is always an open tender, the whole L1/L2 prison

bean counters refuse to accept the 330 MRTT and any G2G would be spun as a scandal by the opposition especially since their Rafale scam narrative flopped
A G2G process is clear and transparent, involving respective governments. Scam allegations can only hold water if GOI negotiated with Dassault instead of Macron's office. If all the work is being done by Macron's associates and the final signing is done by the two national leaders, such allegations will hold no ground except for a few days of "scam scam scam" shouting and then die down.

Defence cannot be eternally a hostage to opposition politics. Given how Rafale's scam narrative flopped, the government had the upper hand in making this a successful purchase, citing the precedence of lies. Certain SC judges can also dismiss allegations with the right incentive.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles