INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

AZTEC

Country flag
INS Vikrant
As you can see, the following image shows a rough comparison of the length of the runways of Vikrant with its known overall length (262 meter).

The red line denotes overall lenght, and the green lines are for the runways.
View attachment 72134

Using basic ratio and proportion mathematics, the length of the runways are:
-runway 2: 262 x 0.84 220 meters.
-runway 3: 262 x 0.60 157 meters.

Note: This does NOT account for the curvature of the ski-jump ramp but it is nevertheless useful for rough comparison.

INS Vikramaditya
This is the image for Vikramaditya.
Again, the red line represents overall length (284 meters) and the green ones represent the runways.
View attachment 72135

-runway 2: 284 x 0.69 196 meters.
-runway 3: 284 x 0.51 145 meters.

Note: This does NOT account for the curvature of the ski-jump ramp but it is nevertheless useful for rough comparison.

CONCLUSION
The runways of Vikrant is longer than the runways of Vikramaditya.

Hence, Vikrant's fighter jets can carry more fuel and payload while taking off.

Software used: https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html
Let's do a comparison of Vikrant with China's Shandong aircraft carrier using the same method.

This is the image of Shandong.
The red line represents overall length (315 meters) and the green ones represent the runways.
EN1i9SKUcAAYTg6_measure00.png

-runway 2 of Shandong: 0.67 x 315 211 meters.
-runway 3 of Shandong: 0.37 x 315 116 meters.

(Note: This does NOT account for the curvature of the ski-jump ramp but it is nevertheless useful for rough comparison.)

This comparison shows that the runways of Vikrant are even longer than the runways of China's latest aircraft carrier!
This implies that the design of Vikrant is currently the best STOBAR carrier design in the world.
(longer runways = more payload & fuel for fighters = greater combat capability)

Image source:

Software used: https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html

FactsPlease

Country flag
Sadly it’s inevitable

2020-30 will be a very dark time in Indian naval aviation
Fully agreed. IN aviation is trapped at least for squadrons on Vicky & Vikrant. And any worse thing happen, e.g. TEDBF not on schedule, this pain in xxx will only extend.

Now the only things to be saved is 1) squadron for IAC-2, and 2) land-based ones.

For first, India can look forward to TEDBF. But how about second one? It's so obvious IN should NOT wait and see its land-based force also depleted. (Right?)

Obviously. some aircraft can be both carrier- and land-based is a more reasonable choice.

But which one? considering NO next-generation aircarft fron Europe or Russia can be quick or feasible. And, buying any US fighter will be a EXTREMELY-STRATEGIC decision, i.e. only Modi can decide (even though we are watching India going for it, inch by inch).

Damn, truly a dilemma.

Reactions: SKC

Longewala

Country flag
Fully agreed. IN aviation is trapped at least for squadrons on Vicky & Vikrant. And any worse thing happen, e.g. TEDBF not on schedule, this pain in xxx will only extend.

Now the only things to be saved is 1) squadron for IAC-2, and 2) land-based ones.

For first, India can look forward to TEDBF. But how about second one? It's so obvious IN should NOT wait and see its land-based force also depleted. (Right?)

Obviously. some aircraft can be both carrier- and land-based is a more reasonable choice.

But which one? considering NO next-generation aircarft fron Europe or Russia can be quick or feasible. And, buying any US fighter will be a EXTREMELY-STRATEGIC decision, i.e. only Modi can decide (even though we are watching India going for it, inch by inch).

Damn, truly a dilemma.
Rafale M?
We could get a few used from France fairly quickly I would assume

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
Rafale M?
We could get a few used from France fairly quickly I would assume
its not about Rafale M. our Ac ramp is made for mig 29 size of fighter. Rafale cannot fold its wing and Dassault also is not showing any interest in folding the wings of the jet.

thats why we are stuck with mig29 untill tedbf comes.

WarriorIndian

Country flag

Damn, truly a dilemma.
The Navy can sit back and enjoy its coffee until the TEDBF is ready for active deployment. The 222 Squadron of the Indian Airforce can take up the job for them.

Also the Jaguar IM's in our inventory are armed with anti ship missiles capable of maritime deployment.

Last edited:

Bhurki

The japanese stole the drawings ? what an error....
Dokdo is korean. A formal declaration to buy 24 of F35B has already been put out.

Japanese too are reconfiguring their Izumo class for F35B, of which 42 have been ordered.

Both these ships displace 30k tons, and will be ordered /configured in pairs.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

WarriorIndian

Country flag
I need nothing. I just explain that Jaguar has a low combo load & range.
I hope you are aware that Jaguar plays the role of a dedicated bomber in the Airforce, I think that should satisfy your doubts about load and range.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles