India's Neutron bomb capability

tharikiran

Country flag
You got $2 billion dollars lying around? Do you realize that each missile cost 2-3 million a pop and it would require the order of 800 missiles to do what you are asking for? Remember Baghdad got hit with 800 such missiles and it was still functioning.
I was only talking about overwhelming the ground radar.Whether it will take hundred or 800 is not for me to decide.
It's was a hypothetical situation all the way and the officer knows it.So, don't start jumping the gun.

India may not be the great US of A. But we did block karachi in the 71 war without so called cruise missiles.US objectives in Iraq may have been different and Indian objectives may be different.There is no point getting into does India have money and other stuff.

tharikiran

Country flag
Are you trying to be a smart aleck? OOE served as a combat engineer and he knows what proximity fuses are all about up the yin and yang.

You missed the point what he was referring to. Obviously you ain't gotten a clue what he was trying to tell you. Proximity fuses do not work in one setting for all types of missiles. Different types of missiles work at different speeds and heights and trajectories. Moreover, you need to hit the right part of the missile. If you hit the wrong part of the missile, the warhead will just separate and hit a different target.
Yup, I am not a serving officer and I agree I don't know everything about proximity fuses.But, let me tell you this PAC-2 does not chase the tail.
I can tell you that for sure. If the enemy missile is coming at MACH 5 and if the patriot missile makes a miscalculation of 1/100 th of a second then it will miss it's target by more than 30 meters.Now, if it keeps its focus on hunting down the tail, I am afraid before it locks on to that part and makes it a priority to hit that part, it will miss it.For a patriot to identify the tail section it has to be relatively close to the target and it will be having very less time to make the adjustments in trajectory.
How on earth is the patriot going to see the tail of an incoming scud missile in its radar, when its going for head on collision..please enlighten me.PAC-3 does have a inbuilt radar and processor and is designed to take down the warhead though.Its like a bullet versus a bullet.

Both the incoming target missile and the outbound Patriot missile are traveling up to five times faster than a typical bullet and are closing in on one another at up to Mach 10, or two miles per second. At that speed there is no room for error -- if the missile miscalculates by even 1/100th of a second, it will be off by more than 100 feet (30.5 meters).

I know there are different types of proximity fuses. I would appreciate if you can provide a link which talks about targeting a specific section of a missile.So far I have found none.But, PAC 3 it seems tries to hit the warhead.

Let me tell you something more, the Aster 30 in a near miss scenario jumps laterally towards the target.comparable missiles can seldom do this due to the thin air at altitude and therefore making plane guidance impractical.

I am providing you a link to know how the aster works.This is a very advanced missile to defend against missiles.No where does it mention targeting specific section of enemy missile.The concept is the same for all existing missiles, in the sense in the terminal phase proximity fuse reaches a certain threshold and the warhead explodes.The approaching angle may result in total or partial destruction.So, there is absolutely no way to guide a missile to hit only the tail.

http://www.suomensotilas.fi/pdf/SAMPT_en-uk_web.pdf

PAC 3 it seems does not even have a proximity fuse. It's designed for hit to kill. It does actually collide with the incoming missile. i.e. body to body impact.It's a terminal air defense missile. Tries to take down enemy missile in the terminal phase.It has a radar and a KA band seeker.Shortly before arrival at the intercept point, the PAC-3 Missile's on board Ka band seeker acquires the target, selects the optimal aim point and terminal guidance is initiated.It destroys its targets by the kinetic energy released in a head-on collision.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Yup, I am not a serving officer and I agree I don't know everything about proximity fuses.But, let me tell you this PAC-2 does not chase the tail.
Son, I am not in a position to tell you differntly but PAC-2 was orignally anti-aircraft, not anti-missile. The only reason why they've got the anti-SSM role instead of the SAM role solely is because of the software ... AND THAT IS ALL I WILL TELL YOU!

Officer of Engineers

Professional
For a patriot to identify the tail section it has to be relatively close to the target and it will be having very less time to make the adjustments in trajectory.
And here is the problem with your interruptation. Son, I cannot tell you anymore but I want you to re-read your own words.

tharikiran

Country flag
Sir,
Tell us what you know and what we don't. So, that it enhances our knowledge and understanding.It's just not a heat seeking missile.
I have gone through the working of PAC 2 in detail.Please let me know as to how PAC2 will identify the tail when its not a heat seeking missile and is being completely guided by a ground radar controller.

It's afact though that it was meant for aircrafts in the 70's. Initial modifications to the system were dubbed Patriot Anti-tactical Missile Capability-1 (PAC-1) and involved software, radar, and missile trajectory upgrades.

The second expansion phase, known as Patriot Advanced Capability-2 (PAC-2), occurred between 1986 and 1988. It included a superior interceptor missile as well as upgrades to its software and guidance algorithms. The enhanced PAC-2 system had the ability to shoot down longer range ballistic missiles. In particular, it was capable of destroying the hardened metal shell that surrounded most enemy warheads.

Appreciate if you explain and enlighten us with your interpretation.It helps not just me but also others.
regards.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Son,

How do I explain it. The radar picture does not improve. All you get is a blob. There's the beginning of the blob and the end of the blob. More modern radars wll refine it further but that requires power, power that a proximity fuse does not have.

The old computer axiom, throughput is expensive, processing is cheap. This means that the picture you've got, a blob, can be put into a finite target, ie the centre of the blob.

Now, picture this, what is the centre of a SCUD, the fueslodge, what is the fuselodge, mainly fuel and engine. Now, as an AD gunner, decide where should you target your fuse. Burst too early and not enough shrapnel will do enough damage. Burst too late ... well, p!ssing into the wind may sound right. So, what should you aim for with your proximiity fuse?

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Son,

How do I explain it. The radar picture does not improve. All you get is a blob. There's the beginning of the blob and the end of the blob. More modern radars wll refine it further but that requires power, power that a proximity fuse does not have.

The old computer axiom, throughput is expensive, processing is cheap. This means that the picture you've got, a blob, can be put into a finite target, ie the centre of the blob.

Now, picture this, what is the centre of a SCUD, the fueslodge, what is the fuselodge, mainly fuel and engine. Now, as an AD gunner, decide where should you target your fuse. Burst too early and not enough shrapnel will do enough damage. Burst too late ... well, p!ssing into the wind may sound right. So, what should you aim for with your proximiity fuse?
If a person does not have money for a swimming pool like a person renting an apartment would a bathtub work too??

These Friends differ greatly in appearance, but share a common theme. They have no feet and float above the ground, somewhat. They are highly acrobatic and possess teleportation ability. The most severe and evolved of these forms resemble the Emperor's first form such that they have disembodies heads that sprout winglets. Since the Dragons in this game arose from the Serpent Deity, we'll refer to them as Serpentine. They are bipedal as well, but they have huge, reptilian frames and possess tails. The difficulty rating is determined by the enemies' combat abilities at the time Ryu encounters them.

Rajan

If neutron bomb capability exist, there is nothing to shout about it. Rather make it and than shout. We deliberately need this bomb when pakistan is not a stable country, we need to burst few of them before war starts. :2guns:

Country flag
re: India's Neutron bomb capability

Inventor of neutron bomb Samuel Cohen dies - Yahoo! News India

Inventor of neutron bomb Samuel Cohen dies

Los Angeles, Dec 2 (DPA) Samuel Cohen, the US physicist who invented the neutron bomb has died, according to a report Thursday in Los Angeles Times quoting his son.
The 89-year-old who had stomach cancer died at home in California Sunday.
Cohen, in an interview with the New York Times in September, described the controversial tactical nuclear bomb he developed at the height of the Cold War in 1958 as 'the most sane and moral weapon ever devised'.
'It's the only nuclear weapon in history that makes sense in waging war. When the war is over, the world is still intact,' he said.
Neutron weapons, which release a burst of neutron radiation rather than explosive energy, have the ability to destroy people and other living things while causing little material damage.
A succession of US presidents rejected the technology, with Jimmy Carter forced to postpone plans to deploy the warheads in 1978 amid protests.
In 1981, then president Ronald Reagan authorised the production of 700 neutron warheads to counter Soviet tanks in Eastern Europe. The weapons were later dismantled.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

i had always maintained that the low yield explosions in 1998 were neutron - radiation testing , so the neutron-b capability existed since then

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

India has how many of these?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

It's hard to hold breath for longer time
that is really what one wanted to ask those who suggested that :-

" well you see, you know , ..... it's sooo simple" ...... "just surround yourself with 3 metres of water "

- so youre gonna build an enclosure insiide 3 metres of water "

is 3 metres sufficient or are you gonna get radiated inside that enclosure ? - then theres the question of food a nd clean water as well - not to mention clean air ....where youre gonna get that from when the entire atmosphere is already radiated presumably at high levels of radiation ? aqualung ?

the answer to all this :-

:- tell landgrabbers - well these days theres only ONE - PRC CHINA - to be satisfied with your land mass - nobody i meant NOBODY survives a nuke war ! it's as plain as that !!

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

Radiation in your own country will kill a lot of people and it's effects will last for generations of new born.
not necessarily .... consider scenario of low yield neuts combined with large backyard eg russia china , canada, brazil , australia , and perhaps argentina , chile , india ?

not a great idea i agree - but a possibility ? .( just for discussion sakes )

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Neutron radiation
The health effects of neutron radiation will be the same as any other ionizing radiation. It will cause, indirectly, ionization by interacting with the molecules of the body. Humans are made up mostly of water and water is made up of two hydrogen atoms and the neutrons have a probability of colliding with the protons. Upon collision, the neutrons will transfer energy to the proton, which then may go on to cause ionizations of surrounding tissue. The main area of cells that we are concerned with is ionization near the DNA/chromosome. DNA damage is either repaired or leads to the cell dying. In the rare instance that the damage is not repaired or is repaired wrong and the cell survives, the main risk is an increased risk of cancer.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

India has how many of these?
No one is answering !!
All are busy answering if one needs these. Well if these are in existence India needs those to rightfully defend herself.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

No one is answering !!
:clobber:

in Indo-U.S. dialogue between Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaswant Singh and US Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbott they keep asking the same question which you have asked. Jaswant Singh never gave him a answer..........:rofl:
it will depend as per our requirement. That is for sure. Only the BARC, DRDO and very few people in SFC knows how much we have. We are not telling anyone as we want the present and future enemy to be guessing what we got. :wave:

We have lot of nuke material but not all of them are weaponised the same.

BTW we have tested a nuke with non-weapon grade plutonium. Do you know what it meant.:namaste:

Country flag

Neutron bomb was the perfect weapon « Quick Take – As It Happens

Neutron bomb was the perfect weapon

In 1981, President Ronald Reagan ordered 700 neutron warheads built to oppose Soviet tank forces in Europe. He called it "the first weapon that's come along in a long time that could easily and economically alter the balance of power." But deployment to the North Atlantic alliance was canceled after a storm of antinuclear protests across Europe. President George Bush ordered the stockpile scrapped.

By 1982, Mr. Cohen had abandoned his deployment quest. But he continued for the rest of his life to defend the bomb as practical and humane.

"It's the most sane and moral weapon ever devised," he said in September in a telephone interview for this obituary. "It's the only nuclear weapon in history that makes sense in waging war. When the war is over, the world is still intact."

Samuel Theodore Cohen was born in Brooklyn on Jan. 25, 1921, to Lazarus and Jenny Cohen, Austrian Jews who had migrated to the United States by way of Britain. His father was a carpenter and his mother a housewife who rigidly controlled family diets and even breathing habits (believing it unhealthy to breathe through the mouth). The boy had allergies, eye problems and other ailments, and for years was subjected to daily ice-water showers to toughen him up.

In recent years, Mr. Cohen prominently warned of a black market substance called red mercury, supposedly capable of compressing fusion materials to detonate a nuclear device as small as a baseball — ideal for terrorists. (read more via Samuel T. Cohen, Neutron Bomb Inventor, Dies at 89 – NYTimes.com).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles