India's Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Weapons

Enquirer

I think we still need AD-1 and AD-2 to complement our terminal phase interceptor AAD and PDV to take care of high speed targets (5-7Km/sec icbm class re-entry vehicles) while PDV MK2 (or xsv-1) takes care of mid-course interception. These will be sleek and taller than AAD and PDV (as shown in an earlier DRDO presentaion) and will complete phase 2 of bmd.

Another off-shoot programme of AAD will be XR-SAM with range greater than 300 km which will be our desi S-400. It will take care of cruise missiles and aircrafts like J-20, J-31 and whatever pakis can throw at us.
Hey, I am here has entered into confusion mode.
Why we need two AD-1 AND AD-2?
Can't work be done by one AD series, like in 2000km series.
And also, Is PD mk-2 the PDV of 2000km series?
Thats good news, we have more options now. Like we have different canister ejection systems.
If I inspect the AD-1 & AD-2 sketches.....what I find is:
AD-2
2 booster stages. 1 Kill vehicle

AD-1
1 booster stage. 2 (or 3?) Kill vehicles

If I have to guess, AD-2 is for mid-course interception before the warheads have separated.
AD-2 is for high altitude terminal-phase interception that's capable of taking on MIRVs

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sir, very good work.
You are a LEGEND, and rolemodel for me.
Hope, had I knew the sufficient knowledge I would had joined you too against them.
I have a question, guys and ladies here are saying we have now all technologies for creation of our own SAM's in the line of s-400.
Then why are we not installing them instead of s-400.
And also this development means we can do our own aegis, then why our navy and government never made comment on this direction?
Is more work need to be done?
Be practical in life, elections cost lot of money.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
AD-1

If I have to guess, AD-2 is for mid-course interception before the warheads have separated.
AD-2 is for high altitude terminal-phase interception that's capable of taking on MIRVs
Only kill vehicle.

I think you need to compare PDV with both AD1 & AD2. You will see, whats going on :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Only kill vehicle.

I think you need to compare PDV with both AD1 & AD2. You will see, whats going on :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:
So, that means we are not using pdv kill vehicle in BMD-2 phase. Work is done by AD-1 and AD-2.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
If I inspect the AD-1 & AD-2 sketches.....what I find is:
AD-2
2 booster stages. 1 Kill vehicle

AD-1

Then question arises for what new PDV interceptor is for, if AD-1 and 2 can take care of incoming missiles.

Enquirer

Then question arises for what new PDV interceptor is for, if AD-1 and 2 can take care of incoming missiles.
The KKV is a new one....it has to be tested!
Now DRDO/ISRO has become so proficient with rocket technology that they can fix any which rocket with another other and make a new multi-stage rocket!! It's phenomenal!

The final version of the interceptor missiles could be different....in fact they might further miniaturize the KKV!

Shiv sagar

Country flag
Sir, very good work.
You are a LEGEND, and rolemodel for me.
Hope, had I knew the sufficient knowledge I would had joined you too against them.
I have a question, guys and ladies here are saying we have now all technologies for creation of our own SAM's in the line of s-400.
Then why are we not installing them instead of s-400.
And also this development means we can do our own aegis, then why our navy and government never made comment on this direction?
Is more work need to be done?
S400 have a pretty good cluster of radar systems in the miniature format ( aka on a moving platform). Our LRTR is a stationary system borrowed from Israel. Our Rajendra systems are not as advanced as the systems in S400. Hence the S400 purchase.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
No time to argue over simple math/physics.
If you're satisfied with you math, I am going to skip the rest of your post.

I am not obliged to make you understand. Either you take it or leave it.

I don't know from which background you are. But as far as I am concerned, from an engineering background. I know a thing or two about basic physics and maths.

Enquirer

I am not obliged to make you understand. Either you take it or leave it.

I don't know from which background you are. But as far as I am concerned, from an engineering background. I know a thing or two about basic physics and maths.
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arihant Roy

Country flag
The KKV is a 1.8 tonne vehicle :)
It probably carried a lot of fuel within.
That said, at the second stage separation the KKV would have had sufficient upward velocity to help it climb much of the remaining distance by sheer momentum.
(the separation process itself would give it an upward boost)
IR in his article in DDR has said it weighs 1.8 tons. We don't know for sure how much it weighs. 1.8 tons is speculation.

Having said that, yes the boosters gave the KKV the required velocity to reach sub orbital speeds. But the KKV itself has a 200+ km slant range.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Only kill vehicle.

Only kill vehicle.

AD-1 is a modified PDV mounted on a slim but long booster.

AD-1 is to PDV as thaad is to thaad ER.

AD-2 has a modified KV compared to AD-1 plus a sustainer with more propellant loading. Plus the long and slim booster.

PDV MKII is a thoroughbred mid course hit to kill interceptor meant for ICBM class targets.

AD-1 and AD-2 are more of a terminal phase ICBM IRBM killer. They will engage missiles having ranges higher than 2000 km but in the last phase after the RE entry vehicle has entered the atmosphere.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
The KKV is a new one....it has to be tested!
Now DRDO/ISRO has become so proficient with rocket technology that they can fix any which rocket with another other and make a new multi-stage rocket!! It's phenomenal!

The final version of the interceptor missiles could be different....in fact they might further miniaturize the KKV!

The KKV used in the ASAT test has been live tested in the Feb 12th PDV test. Besides there has been extensive ground tests and simulations.

The best thing is this new kill vehicle will now be retrofitted on the PDV exo atmospheric interceptors. The new KKV will get further upgradations. Read 1K FPA matrix equipped IIR seeker.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
A great news for my fellow bhagwas.
I had overlooked it the first time.

View attachment 33865

There's a LRTR deployed somewhere in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. As can be seen from the above screenshot. This takes the total no of LRTR used to three.

This also implies that most of the elements of the floating missile test range that was envisaged in 2014 are in place. VC-11184 which is now in trials will complete this range once inducted in the Navy.

We have a robust ballistic missile detection and tracking network in place.
Dr Reddy had emphasized that Mission Shakti could be done quickly because the BMD infrastructure was in place.

BMD program is not just a tech demonstrator. It's first phase has already been deployed or it is going to be deployed and made operational soon. But unlike platforms and missiles of a tactical nature, there will be no formal announcements or press releases this time.
great find, i am borrowing that for Twitter, credit will be given to you.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hari ji, its Hajmola issue, gora cant pachao that we have done ASAT. They are mad as hell.
Namaste Ji. Do you know the hue and cry of Gora in British parliament. One gora MP said that they used to teach India before few years, Now Britain looks dwarf against India. It followed by usual rant that UK should not help India etc. because India's space program is very advance now .

Global Defence

Articles