Indian Army: News and Discussion

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

look at our soldier dawg , we aint winning shit ..

we can't even afford a proper rig and backpack
You dont loose wars with this kit...

You loose lives.

War will be won when the incompetency will be covered with a cocktail of Martini of Desh bhakti and Vodka of history will be given to young 20 year olds to fight.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
ASC, Signals, Armd Corps, Mechinf are largely equipped with this same kit. An Avg Infantryman deployed in fwd areas is quite different. Can mods shift this whole convo to Indian Infantry/army thread ?
Outside of soldiers in COIN in J&K and the LOC, most of our soldiers still use the same equipment in that picture. Even on the LAC too barring some areas and units. You will so many M1974 helmets on the LAC and NE COIN Ops albeit with the crappy load bearing vests with plate inserts. Rear formations have absolutely horrendous equipment that is severely outdated. Same for support arms like Artillery, Signals etc. This is what majority of out troops will look like in a Conventional Conflict, with possibly no time or gap for “Emergency Purchases”. Though things have definitely improved from before, it still isn’t anywhere as fast as it needs to be.

Forces deployed in COIN aren’t the only benchmark to keep when looking at modernisation of the infantry. They too have a long way to go in terms of being properly equipped, but are relatively better off.
1714732885879.png
1714732778968.png
1714733300014.jpeg
1714733347180.jpeg

1714733135148.png

1714733207634.jpeg

kaboom

Country flag
Outside of soldiers in COIN in J&K and the LOC, most of our soldiers still use the same equipment in that picture. Even on the LAC too barring some areas and units. You will so many M1974 helmets on the LAC and NE COIN Ops albeit with the crappy load bearing vests with plate inserts. Rear formations have absolutely horrendous equipment that is severely outdated. Same for support arms like Artillery, Signals etc. This is what majority of out troops will look like in a Conventional Conflict, with possibly no time or gap for “Emergency Purchases”. Though things have definitely improved from before, it still isn’t anywhere as fast as it needs to be.

Forces deployed in COIN aren’t the only benchmark to keep when looking at modernisation of the infantry. They too have a long way to go in terms of being properly equipped, but are relatively better off.
View attachment 251283.View attachment 251282View attachment 251286View attachment 251287

View attachment 251284

View attachment 251285
One of the justifications given is that they are not frontline troops ,
but ASC troops will have to fight when engaged when running logistics , what will they do then .

Also the frontline formations don't even last for a few weeks when a high intensity war breaks out , these men at the rear will replace them with these substandard gear , and even if they magically provide them with decent gear they won't know how to use them (like optics ,nvgs etc) , as they were never exposed to them .

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
but ASC troops will have to fight when engaged when running logistics , what will they do then .

Also the frontline formations don't even last for a few weeks when a high intensity war breaks out , these men at the rear will replace them with these substandard gear , and even if they magically provide them with decent gear they won't know how to use them (like optics ,nvgs etc) , as they were never exposed to them .
Let it go their is no point in arguing with these guys they have already made it that we can't argue on gear or we are dumb how can we question Army's decision making

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

do you have info on how much on new kit procurement has happened since 2015-16, and which formations new kit has gone to so far?

kaboom

Country flag
do you have info on how much on new kit procurement has happened since 2015-16, and which formations new kit has gone to so far?
1.58 lakh helmets (mku to delivered 160k by end of 2024 , 10k tata ach delivered 50k remaining, rest idk )
1.86 lakh BPJ ( although the SMPP product can be debated upon , i would say it is pretty much useless)
70k sig716i + speculated 70k ( no optics etc )
670k ak 203 (pretty much stuck ) (again no talk about optics )
a no of ak mod kits from different firms .
16k negev LMG to replace INSAS and bren ( peanuts in comparison to the numbers needed)
1.15k sako trg sniper rifles on order ( deliveries started )

also no talk about NVGs , radios , ear protection

Also i think there is a problem with the distribution of these new equipment between different units , this leads to some horrendous differences in gear .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
1.58 lakh helmets (mku to delivered 160k by end of 2024 , 10k tata ach delivered 50k remaining, rest idk )
1.86 lakh BPJ ( although the SMPP product can be debated upon , i would say it is pretty much useless)
16k negev LMG to replace INSAS and bren ( peanuts in comparison to the numbers needed)

Also i think there is a problem with the distribution of these new equipment between different units , this leads to some horrendous differences in gear .
so another decade minimum, to reach saturation.

operatorgrumby

Country flag

I think this the post you're referring to.....while he did made a compelling argument that there's some logic behind that....still I would say it's about the 1% rule, meaning if majority of the forces are upgraded upto today's standard and just the mere are left out which are used in this PR wok( which itself is another debacle, because this is PR for your forces we're talking about ) then the said can be accepted but everyone knows that's not the case for our forces .....so just abusing or using derogatory remarks to those who criticize without any sensible logic is not really a strong solution either.

Last edited:

kaboom

Country flag

also to add
one of the most important contact both for general infantry for urban ops and very important for SF
4,25,213 5.56 x 45mm CQB Carbine
till now a no of firms have offered but no orders till now . Caracal is the best option and they are even ready for indigenous production , but still this contact has not moved a bit .

A part of this tender is meant to replace the aging tavors and overused M4 sopmod block1s , this is a very important tender to bring about a much needed change in army SFs arsenal .

Mangal

Country flag

Sometimes I tend to think that Army itself doesn't wants to be equipped. It's an excuse that we are not ready and need six months or so to prepare. Blame it on politicians and every one will buy it. Go for emergency procurement at exorbitant costs for reasons best know to them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles