Indian private sector involvement in defence R&D and defence production

FGFAPilot1

Country flag
Really, India is a country which has British foundations with brown 'IAS' sahibs coupled with a huge dollop of soviet style communism. It is no wonder that nobody wants to open or operate firms here. The sacred military is partly to be blamed as well.

I know from a reliable friend who used to work in a robotics company based in Gurgaon (I refuse to call it gurugram) which received multiple requests from the government to develop land based robots and associated equipment. Most often than not these government requests came with no guarantee whatsoever and neither any funding, the company therefore always played it on the edge with the government cancelling orders and tenders resulting in the company working extremely conservatively and not hiring the required number of people. I know all of this because I was part of the few people in their final recruitment drive.

Slowly and slowly I have come to realize why people leave India, although some along with me do plan to return and do something about all of this.

MODS: please relocate post if unrelated to this thread.

Tuco

Country flag
Question,paki tender says Pindigenous. do they have that capability.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Really, India is a country which has British foundations with brown 'IAS' sahibs coupled with a huge dollop of soviet style communism. It is no wonder that nobody wants to open or operate firms here. The sacred military is partly to be blamed as well.

I know from a reliable friend who used to work in a robotics company based in Gurgaon (I refuse to call it gurugram) which received multiple requests from the government to develop land based robots and associated equipment. Most often than not these government requests came with no guarantee whatsoever and neither any funding, the company therefore always played it on the edge with the government cancelling orders and tenders resulting in the company working extremely conservatively and not hiring the required number of people. I know all of this because I was part of the few people in their final recruitment drive.

Slowly and slowly I have come to realize why people leave India, although some along with me do plan to return and do something about all of this.

MODS: please relocate post if unrelated to this thread.
Grey Orange Robotics ? :troll:

FGFAPilot1

Country flag
Grey Orange Robotics ? :troll:
No lol! There are quite a few companies (robotics), I won't give the name but the one I'm talking about is located pretty close to the Hero Honda chowk or whatever its called nowadays.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Now, Private Players In India Will Manufacture Guns And Pistols
Ministry of Home Affairs has held a discussion with 17 private companies to locally manufacture the small arms used by Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF), which were earlier imported from foreign arms manufacturers. The 17 companies which were party to the discussion included Vem Technologies, Kalyani Strategic, Shyam Arms, Premier Explosives, HYT, L & T, and Godrej.

“The private companies shortlisted by the Amit Shah-led MHA own licence to manufacture weapons,” said a senior home ministry official. After the call of Prime Minister Modi for Atmanirbhar Bharat, the home ministry has decided that Central Armed Police Forces will use indigenously produced weapons.

The Director-General of various units of CAPF like ITBP, BSF, CRPF, SSB, CISF, NSG and Assam Rifles, and industry representatives held first round to discuss a few days ago. “The security forces have been asked to provide their requirement and to cut down on the import of arms and ammunitions which can be easily developed with the help of local manufacturers,” said another home ministry official.

Awarding the contract to private manufacturers is a big step for the defence industry, which had government monopoly for decades, and thus, is among the most incompetent and inefficient sectors of the country.

India’s defence manufacturing is still in the nascent stage, thanks to the monopoly of the public sector. The post-independence government restricted entry of private players in the strategic sector like defence equipment manufacturing, and the meagre resources were put to while elephant companies like HAL.

The public sector companies like HAL, DRDO, and Ordnance factory Board could not get any major breakthrough in seven decades of its existence and the country continued to import defence equipment from private manufacturers in countries like the United States, France, and United Kingdom.

All India public sector companies have been able to achieve is to manufacture less skill intensive and tech-intensive equipment for the Indian aviation sector by technology transfer from the Soviet Union.

The interesting thing is that most foreign manufacturers from whom the Indian public sector manufacturer like HAL gets contract to manufacture weapons for domestic use on behalf of the Indian government are private companies. Not a single defence manufacturer in the top 25 in the world is a public sector unit, because, no company could manufacture the best weapons until there is cut-throat free-market competition. HAL, despite years of monopoly in India’s defence sector, could not take place in the world’s top 25 companies.

Today, India is one of the largest arms importers of the world. India has to import all defence equipment ranging from fighter aircraft to guns, because the HAL and DRDO are too incompetent to manufacture even small arms.

Five largest defence contractors in the world- Lockheed Martin, The Boeing Company, BAE Systems plc, The Raytheon Company, and Northrop Grumman Corporation are Western private sector companies. The involvement of private players would make India self-dependent in the defence sector in the next few decades and the government would not be forced to spent foreign exchange to buy the weapons which our armed forces use.

The involvement of private players would not only make the country self-dependent, but also improve the efficiency and quality of the weapons. If the private players succeed in developing good weapons, in the next few years even state police forces could get rid of the substandard guns and ammunition manufactured by public sector players like Ordnance Factory Board, DRDO, and HAL.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Now, Private Players In India Will Manufacture Guns And Pistols
Ministry of Home Affairs has held a discussion with 17 private companies to locally manufacture the small arms used by Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF), which were earlier imported from foreign arms manufacturers. The 17 companies which were party to the discussion included Vem Technologies, Kalyani Strategic, Shyam Arms, Premier Explosives, HYT, L & T, and Godrej.

“The private companies shortlisted by the Amit Shah-led MHA own licence to manufacture weapons,” said a senior home ministry official. After the call of Prime Minister Modi for Atmanirbhar Bharat, the home ministry has decided that Central Armed Police Forces will use indigenously produced weapons.

The Director-General of various units of CAPF like ITBP, BSF, CRPF, SSB, CISF, NSG and Assam Rifles, and industry representatives held first round to discuss a few days ago. “The security forces have been asked to provide their requirement and to cut down on the import of arms and ammunitions which can be easily developed with the help of local manufacturers,” said another home ministry official.

Awarding the contract to private manufacturers is a big step for the defence industry, which had government monopoly for decades, and thus, is among the most incompetent and inefficient sectors of the country.

India’s defence manufacturing is still in the nascent stage, thanks to the monopoly of the public sector. The post-independence government restricted entry of private players in the strategic sector like defence equipment manufacturing, and the meagre resources were put to while elephant companies like HAL.

The public sector companies like HAL, DRDO, and Ordnance factory Board could not get any major breakthrough in seven decades of its existence and the country continued to import defence equipment from private manufacturers in countries like the United States, France, and United Kingdom.

All India public sector companies have been able to achieve is to manufacture less skill intensive and tech-intensive equipment for the Indian aviation sector by technology transfer from the Soviet Union.

The interesting thing is that most foreign manufacturers from whom the Indian public sector manufacturer like HAL gets contract to manufacture weapons for domestic use on behalf of the Indian government are private companies. Not a single defence manufacturer in the top 25 in the world is a public sector unit, because, no company could manufacture the best weapons until there is cut-throat free-market competition. HAL, despite years of monopoly in India’s defence sector, could not take place in the world’s top 25 companies.

Today, India is one of the largest arms importers of the world. India has to import all defence equipment ranging from fighter aircraft to guns, because the HAL and DRDO are too incompetent to manufacture even small arms.

Five largest defence contractors in the world- Lockheed Martin, The Boeing Company, BAE Systems plc, The Raytheon Company, and Northrop Grumman Corporation are Western private sector companies. The involvement of private players would make India self-dependent in the defence sector in the next few decades and the government would not be forced to spent foreign exchange to buy the weapons which our armed forces use.

The involvement of private players would not only make the country self-dependent, but also improve the efficiency and quality of the weapons. If the private players succeed in developing good weapons, in the next few years even state police forces could get rid of the substandard guns and ammunition manufactured by public sector players like Ordnance Factory Board, DRDO, and HAL.
Nice...
@padmaraj Any good news to share?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

It's pretty sad that companies like Tonbo, MKU, etc. dont rely on Indian orders, but outside ones - which isnt a bad thing, but come on. There are 100s-1000s of BMPs, T72s, etc. that need upgrading.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

It's pretty sad that companies like Tonbo, MKU, etc. dont rely on Indian orders, but outside ones - which isnt a bad thing, but come on. There are 100s-1000s of BMPs, T72s, etc. that need upgrading.
They are giving a whole package.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
what about the brand new factory setup in amethi to produce 7 lakh ak203 rifle? why are we having another RFI to produce same caliber rifle again? (6th item from top)
Both are part of the same process, Indian govt is funding the land & infra, russians will bring in their tech.
once the deal is finalised, ofcourse.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Both are part of the same process, Indian govt is funding the land & infra, russians will bring in their tech.
once the deal is finalised, ofcourse.
also, based on the RFI, it seems like IA is moving away from 5.56×45mm caliber for assault rifles. i am not sure if this is the right move. we also need to have assault rifles with 5.56. we need to have balance between 5.56 and heavier rounds of that AK. our inventory should consist of both types.

(i wish) every solider should be given a choice to either pick the weapon and caliber of his liking. some prefer heavier rounds and some prefer 5.56, some may prefer tar-21 etc, some may prefer ak103, some may prefer sig 756 while some may prefer ak203..

my choice is always 5.56. this ammo is battle-proven along with that ak round. i prefer 5.56 for ergonomics and controlled recoils. my groupings are better when i use 5.56 types in 3 burst or in controlled burst in full auto mode.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
also, based on the RFI, it seems like IA is moving away from 5.56×45mm caliber for assault rifles. i am not sure if this is the right move. we also need to have assault rifles with 5.56. we need to have balance between 5.56 and heavier rounds of that AK. our inventory should consist of both types.

(i wish) every solider should be given a choice to either pick the weapon and caliber of his liking. some prefer heavier rounds and some prefer 5.56, some may prefer tar-21 etc, some may prefer ak103, some may prefer sig 756 while some may prefer ak203..

my choice is always 5.56. this ammo is battle-proven along with that ak round. i prefer 5.56 for ergonomics and controlled recoils. my groupings are better when i use 5.56 types in 3 burst or in controlled burst in full auto mode.
From an acquisition perspective, More ak rounds have been fired in real world conditions outside of practice ranges than 5.56 mm by indian armed forces over the last 30 years. the trend is same across the world as well, more ak rounds have been fired than of any other calibre by all parties across the world who were involved in conflict.

if the data is such, then there's no point in clinging on to something contrary to global trend.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
From an acquisition perspective, More ak rounds have been fired in real world conditions outside of practice ranges than 5.56 mm by indian armed forces over the last 30 years. the trend is same across the world as well, more ak rounds have been fired than of any other calibre by all parties across the world who were involved in conflict.

if the data is such, then there's no point in clinging on to something contrary to global trend.
true, i m not saying one round is better then other. my personal preference is 5.56 round. i m suggesting that our inventory should have balance of assault rifles with different calibers and types and each men and women should be allowed to pick the weapon of their choice. both type of rounds are equally capable and comes with its own pros and con.

1597415687401.png

1597415301073.png

1597415851548.png

in the above pictures, all 3 rifle carries 30 round mags. but i like the ergonomics of m4 rifles. the mag size is smaller compared to aks family and thus more ergonomics for me. (specially when in prone) it also means my ammo pouches can be smaller when using 5.56. also we less recoils and other stuffs like that.

both rifles will produce equally devastating results. no doubt about it.
we should have right ammo, for the right job. :)

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
First rockets produced by private sector successfully test fired

First rockets produced by private sector successfully test fired

Manu Pubby

Aug 20, 2020

NEW DELHI: In a major boost for Make in India, the first ever rockets fully manufactured by the private sector have been successfully test fired by the army, signalling that single source dependency on Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) will soon be a thing of the past.

The Pinaka rockets were tested at a firing range in Pokharan on Wednesday and achieved the desired results by accurately hitting targets. The rockets have been manufactured by the private sector after a technology transfer agreement with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Sources said that six Pinaka rockets were test fired as part of the final developmental trials. The rockets have been manufactured by Economic Explosives Ltd (EEL) and are the first munition of its kind made by the private sector in India. They are also a success story for DRDO that has been engaging with the private sector to transfer manufacturing technology for home developed systems.

In the past, munitions of this class have either been imported or have been manufactured by the public sector, with repeated complaints of failure by the armed forces. As part of the Make in India drive and push for the private sector in defence manufacturing, the Pinaka technology was transferred five years ago, with a decision taken to split further orders evenly with OFB. The army has a large requirement for rockets of this class, which is pegged at over 1,000 units annually. The Pinaka is a home developed multi barrel rocket launcher system that is already in service with the Indian Army. An order for two additional Pinaka regiments has been under process since 2017, which will be made by L&T and Tata Aerospace and Defence for an estimated Rs 4,500 cr.

The armed forces have been looking at creating alternate sources for munitions to reduce dependency on OFB that has had a mixed track record. Industry estimates peg that privately manufactured munitions of different variety would cost 20-30% cheaper than the OFB fixed pricing.

DRDO has also successfully tested an extended range guided Pinaka rocket that can hit targets at a distance of 75 km, a significant boost from the current range of 40 km.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles