Indian private sector involvement in defence R&D and defence production

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Someone told me that last year. I remember this topic was discussed last year back too. No almost all of them are Americans. Infact there teams effectively worked with Darpa on imaging **** stuff. That's why they sell most of there stuff to USA special forces. There stuff is pretty decent but the army have problems with them . Don't know why
it is indegeneous that's why army is having problems yet again it proves my previous points.

Karthi

Country flag
Someone told me that last year. I remember this topic was discussed last year back too. No almost all of them are Americans. Infact there teams effectively worked with Darpa on imaging **** stuff. That's why they sell most of there stuff to USA special forces. There stuff is pretty decent but the army have problems with them . Don't know why

Not a good source , atleast you should give us anything authentic

abhay rajput

Country flag
Not a good source , atleast you should give us anything authentic
I don't have any link for that matter. I couldn't find anything about the owner/shareholders. But again this topic was discussed last year and the conclusion was same- " we don't know for sure". The closest thing about tonbo I could find is this
Quote from article regarding our topic.
In 2008, Sarnoff Corporation and Stanford International Research had a management buyout and was renamed Tonbo (Japanese for dragonfly), a tribute to an insect which sees in ultra-HD with thousands of lenses in its eyes. Tonbo received funding of $6.4 million from US-based Artiman Ventures in 2013. It is now in talks with investors to raise up to $30 million.

abhay rajput

Country flag
it is indegeneous that's why army is having problems yet again it proves my previous points.
Army go for foreign equipment because we don't build anything in comparison to foreign defence companies. Hell even our strategic ballistic Agni missiles have 15 percent imported content. The day we can make anything 100 percent indigenous then indigenisation matters because these half baked cookies are dependent on imports. Here is good article for you to read ..

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
@LurkerBaba is it possible to create email ID in this forums name.
We could write directly to the company and hope they answer.

Here is there Email ID

[email protected]

Or u can reroute it through Yusuf. He is the closet we have to a Journalist here.

Karthi

Country flag
I don't have any link for that matter. I couldn't find anything about the owner/shareholders. But again this topic was discussed last year and the conclusion was same- " we don't know for sure". The closest thing about tonbo I could find is this
Quote from article regarding our topic.
In 2008, Sarnoff Corporation and Stanford International Research had a management buyout and was renamed Tonbo (Japanese for dragonfly), a tribute to an insect which sees in ultra-HD with thousands of lenses in its eyes. Tonbo received funding of $6.4 million from US-based Artiman Ventures in 2013. It is now in talks with investors to raise up to $30 million.

BENGALURU: Tonbo Imaging, a Bengaluru-based startup that partners with the Indian military, has raised Rs 120 crore in series-B funding led by WRV Capital, the largest private venture investment in the domestic defence technology space. The company with annual revenue of more than Rs 100 crore has been valued north of Rs 400 crore. Qualcomm Ventures and Edelweiss Private Equity also participated in Tonbo's latest fund raise.

“We plan to spend the funds on scaling up our international operations, which constitutes 70% of our revenue, and invest in R&D and product development on commercial businesses,“ chief executive Arvind Lakshmikumar said. “We are (also) looking at acquiring companies with expertise in lasers and photonics, and are in discussion with a few firms worldwide.“

Tombo is Indian bro , they are raising fund from abroad , Indians can also participate . We don't know the terms and regulations

abhay rajput

Country flag
BENGALURU: Tonbo Imaging, a Bengaluru-based startup that partners with the Indian military, has raised Rs 120 crore in series-B funding led by WRV Capital, the largest private venture investment in the domestic defence technology space. The company with annual revenue of more than Rs 100 crore has been valued north of Rs 400 crore. Qualcomm Ventures and Edelweiss Private Equity also participated in Tonbo's latest fund raise.

“We plan to spend the funds on scaling up our international operations, which constitutes 70% of our revenue, and invest in R&D and product development on commercial businesses,“ chief executive Arvind Lakshmikumar said. “We are (also) looking at acquiring companies with expertise in lasers and photonics, and are in discussion with a few firms worldwide.“

Tombo is Indian bro , they are raising fund from abroad , Indians can also participate . We don't know the terms and regulations
Difference of opinion.

Tuco

Country flag
When somebody tries to be a smart Alec
Only to end up with egg on his face
Its just that "some" people are not ready to believe that Indian companies can bring-out high tech products. They just don't believe we can.

Karthi

Country flag
Hexa_banner_Mobile_01.jpg

Tata Motors has got a new contract from one of our neighbouring country Bangladesh, to supply Hexa SUV to be used as their official Army vehicle. What this means is, a made-in-India vehicle is now the official SUV of the Bangladesh army.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Its just that "some" people are not ready to believe that Indian companies can bring-out high tech products. They just don't believe we can.
That is a minor factor

Main factor is inferiority complex and to escape that they need to show others as inferior

Many Indians have that unfortunately, especially phara likha anpar gawars 😉

ladder

Country flag
View attachment 47991

Tata Motors has got a new contract from one of our neighbouring country Bangladesh, to supply Hexa SUV to be used as their official Army vehicle. What this means is, a made-in-India vehicle is now the official SUV of the Bangladesh army.
Ordered probably because of Indian Line of Credit. Not saying it's bad. But if it is so, it should be mentioned.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
What is written on the pic you posted is obscuration of fact and blatant lies through half truths

No Indian company manufacturers or has the capability to manufacture bolometers , all are imported , only few around 4 companies manufacturers the same in the world. eg DRDO imports from sofadir

Hence every indian company saying they are building indigenous optics or thermal sights are bluffing more or less. Since critical component like bolometers are being imported .

There is no difference between tongbo and other Indian companies . Infact tongbo is a step ahead because they own the IPR and design their own systems. Majority of Indian companies simply relabel foreign products when it comes to optics and thermal equipments including Tatas .

Tonbo ceo was part of standford research in india , but he quit then formed tonbo imaging as a spinout of Sarnoff Corporation and Stanford Research International India . The guy who wrote in the pic checked jack shit . Tonbo ceo had himself clarified in an interview . Google it and judge for yourself. The guy posted the link but conveniently forgot to quote from it . Why ? Because he / she is lying. Or Check tonbo website

And there is no Indian start up in optics except for tonbo. I challenge anybody to prove me wrong .

In optics no Indian company can stand toe to toe with tonbo . They have business worldwide because their major customers are darpa US special forces etc. Indian army came to know about tongbo through US special forces when they were surprised to learn that their optics were made by an indian company.

The pic you posted is a hit job basically. Looks like an effort to shut it down in India . Today tonbo tomorrow SSS
Yup, very much looks like a hit job. The second last line - “Army MoD wants true indian solutions to develop..” this was the clincher. What a joke ! If that were the case by now they would have worked with atleast 3 to 4 pvt companies earnestly to develop local products. Have they ? No. Hence proved that the above article is full of lies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles