Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
What will India's new aircraft carrier look like?
Also, is there any possibility of building a new second Vikrant ship?
Please also tell me about the possibility of India having a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and how many more years Vikramaditya will be operational, maybe even a century (Kiev) after its birth.
Not an expert but we are stuck in a limbo at this moment.
The delay in Vikrant put our plans in a disarray, not to mention Corona. Currently there is a chance we will be building another Vikrant before embarking into Nuclear propelled carriers.
For a better opinion their is veteran @binayak95

rao.abhirav

Country flag
What will India's new aircraft carrier look like?
Also, is there any possibility of building a new second Vikrant ship?
Please also tell me about the possibility of India having a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and how many more years Vikramaditya will be operational, maybe even a century (Kiev) after its birth.
I don't think we should even get a 3rd carrier now, tell me what utility do we have for a 3rd or even a second carrier. Carriers are like white elephants (especially diesel ones) are hard to maintain and serve a limited purpose and area of operation. Its like a crippled man who cannot move anywhere far without his crutches (in this case fleet oil tankers).

Even if we get one, can we arm it ? We don't have enough good fighters for Vikrant. Mig 29 has a horrible landing compartment. Apart from it there is petty bickering as well, they don't want Rafael because airforce has them even if they do get Rafale or F/A-18 the problem is the elevator on vikrant is 10 M short for both of these jets so the whole elevator has to get remodeled.

I mean lets see who are our adversaries in IOR.... only China and that too by a long shot and maybe Australia in the near future, We don't need carriers to give them bloody communists hell, appropriate and capable submarine and mine operations are more cost and strategically effective provided that they are deployed on chokepoints.
map-army-Export.png

Fatalis

Country flag

It is so awesome that we will get our own desi version of UNICORN. Hope it also gets onboard existing ships.

Though I'm more curious on how phase-1 and phase-2 will be utilised.

@binayak95 @Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior

Country flag

It is so awesome that we will get our own desi version of UNICORN. Hope it also gets onboard existing ships.

Though I'm more curious on how phase-1 and phase-2 will be utilised.

@binayak95 @Lonewarrior
Yup, it's a long overdue for our messy warships. Remember this post of mine
Let's make it even more simple; why are we having two radars in the first place!?
As for how exactly they'll be, I'll guess Phase-I should look something like the standalone antenna integrating on existing mast with MF-STAR at bottom and Phase-II should look like the iMast from Thales, now whether they'll field it on new ships only or retrofit it to every ship is not sure.

Btw, as our culture don't have anything like UNICORN, so I'd guess the antenna module once in Indian service would be called something in line with la*da or la*de ka antenna

KaiGenji

Country flag
I don't think we should even get a 3rd carrier now, tell me what utility do we have for a 3rd or even a second carrier. Carriers are like white elephants (especially diesel ones) are hard to maintain and serve a limited purpose and area of operation. Its like a crippled man who cannot move anywhere far without his crutches (in this case fleet oil tankers).

Even if we get one, can we arm it ? We don't have enough good fighters for Vikrant. Mig 29 has a horrible landing compartment. Apart from it there is petty bickering as well, they don't want Rafael because airforce has them even if they do get Rafale or F/A-18 the problem is the elevator on vikrant is 10 M short for both of these jets so the whole elevator has to get remodeled.

I mean lets see who are our adversaries in IOR.... only China and that too by a long shot and maybe Australia in the near future, We don't need carriers to give them bloody communists hell, appropriate and capable submarine and mine operations are more cost and strategically effective provided that they are deployed on chokepoints. View attachment 212291
I see, the third ship is not needed because the Indian Ocean is only bordered by sea to the east and west, and the navy of China, India's clear enemy, is very far away.

binayak95

Country flag
Not an expert but we are stuck in a limbo at this moment.
The delay in Vikrant put our plans in a disarray, not to mention Corona. Currently there is a chance we will be building another Vikrant before embarking into Nuclear propelled carriers.
For a better opinion their is veteran @binayak95
We will most likely go for a IEP optimized Vikrant sized carrier with CATOBAR.

Most likely nahi, we will.

binayak95

Country flag

I mean lets see who are our adversaries in IOR.... only China and that too by a long shot and maybe Australia in the near future, We don't need carriers to give them bloody communists hell, appropriate and capable submarine and mine operations are more cost and strategically effective provided that they are deployed on chokepoints. View attachment 212291
Because you cannot exercise sea control without organic air power, especially in a multi theatre conflict that any India china conflict will devolve to.

How will you intercept china bound merchant ships and protect your own slocs and keep sufficient strength at the chokepoints while the IAF is conducting an air land war of its own with 30 odd squadrons.

Not to mention how do you handle existing chinese surface action groups in Djibouti and near the Horn of Africa?

Fatalis

Country flag
I opened the Wikipedia page of Tughril class frigates. In the notes section, this was mentioned -

Most technologically-sophisticated warships ever exported by China to date.

As part its anti-air warfare (AAW) capabilities, the class features the LY-80N medium-range surface-to-air missiles (SAM), with a reported range of up to 70 km (43 mi); the LY-80N, too, has often been compared to the Barak 8 surface-to-air missiles utilized by the Indian Navy, given the missiles' similarities.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
I opened the Wikipedia page of Tughril class frigates. In the notes section, this was mentioned -

As part its anti-air warfare (AAW) capabilities, the class features the LY-80N medium-range surface-to-air missiles (SAM), with a reported range of up to 70 km (43 mi); the LY-80N, too, has often been compared to the Barak 8 surface-to-air missiles utilized by the Indian Navy, given the missiles' similarities.
LY-80N is comparable to Barak-8!?
Someone tell those f*ckers that our Barak-8s are so superior that even people manufacturing them have no idea what exactly is it's range. Heck what's its actual name is a conspiracy in its own.

blackleaf

Country flag

The LY-80N was ultimately developed from the Buk SAM just like the Shtil-1 on the Talwars. It should be more similar to the Shtil-1 and thus inferior to the Barak 8.

In fact our Talwars could be upgraded to match the Tughril with VL-Shtil or VL-SRAM and maybe an ASEAN radar(the Chinese version of the Tughril has a radar derived from the Russian Fregat just like the Talwars). The Tughril should be compared to our second rate Talwar Frigates (which we will have 10 of vs their 4) instead of the frontline P17s.

However our new Frigates and Destroyers are underarmed and should have more SAM missiles.
There is no reason why a Nilgiri-class frigate should be carrying the same number of SAMs as the much smaller Tunghril-class.

Last edited:

Fatalis

Country flag

An MoU was signed for the cooperation in development of Unicorn system. But we already saw a model of Indigenous Integrated Mast during the DefExpo. I think that IIM is supposed to be the product which will be developed with the help of Japan.

Screenshot_20221109-223933__01.jpg
20221124_172943.jpg

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
:yawn: TODAY WITH SUNSET, 2023 FIRST HALF IS ENDING, AND YET THERE IS NO INDICATION FOR THOSE 26 NAVAL CARRIER-BORNE JETS FOR CURRENT VIKRANT BEING ORDERED LET ALONE INDUCTED...WE ARE PRACTICALLY SLOGGNG THAT BIG CARRIER WITH BARELY 6 SOME MIG-29Ks WHEN IT SHOULD BE TAKING THE SEAS UNDER HERSELF WITH FULL LOAD OF RAFALE-M OR F/A-18E OR WHATEVER THE HELL COULD BE PUT ON HERSELF.

SO WHERE ARE THOSE BLOODY JETS ?! EVEN TRAILS ARE COMPLETED AND THEY "REDUCED" THE INITIAL REQUIREMENT FROM 56 TO 36 TO JUST 26 AT END AND YET THERE IS NOTHING ?!

WHERE ARE THOSE GANDUZ WHO WERE SAYING THAT MOMDI ZEE WILL SIGN ORDER IN HIS FRANCE VISIT OR AMERICA VISIT BY END OF APRIL BY END OF MAY BY END OF JUNE AND ALL ?! UPDATE DO AB! :frusty:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
:yawn: TODAY WITH SUNSET, 2023 FIRST HALF IS ENDING, AND YET THERE IS NO INDICATION FOR THOSE 26 NAVAL CARRIER-BORNE JETS FOR CURRENT VIKRANT BEING ORDERED LET ALONE INDUCTED...WE ARE PRACTICALLY SLOGGNG THAT BIG CARRIER WITH BARELY 6 SOME MIG-29Ks WHEN IT SHOULD BE TAKING THE SEAS UNDER HERSELF WITH FULL LOAD OF RAFALE-M OR F/A-18E OR WHATEVER THE HELL COULD BE PUT ON HERSELF.

SO WHERE ARE THOSE BLOODY JETS ?! EVEN TRAILS ARE COMPLETED AND THEY "REDUCED" THE INITIAL REQUIREMENT FROM 56 TO 36 TO JUST 26 AT END AND YET THERE IS NOTHING ?!

WHERE ARE THOSE GANDUZ WHO WERE SAYING THAT MOMDI ZEE WILL SIGN ORDER IN HIS FRANCE VISIT OR AMERICA VISIT BY END OF APRIL BY END OF MAY BY END OF JUNE AND ALL ?! UPDATE DO AB! :frusty:
Mere minesweepers to aayein nahi abhi tak aur aap hain ki...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles