Indian Multi Role Helicopter (IMRH)

Flying Dagger

Country flag
You don't need a co-axial rotor solution to be able to build an AEW&C helicopter for the IN. It has been done on the Merlin which is around the size that the IMRH will be.

But that AEW&C variant will be the final variant that will be attempted. There are many many steps to be taken before the IMRH even gets that far.
1. Well to built one as Kamov one you do need that.

2. Yes one can build the same in traditional open tail rotor or enclosed one , you just need a helicopter big enough. That's not even a question.

And Yes it's a long walk.

Coaxial tail rotor are better suited due to the fact they provide better stability while operating them and the kind of varied regions we operate in they are more safe. Also due to decrease in length they can be operated from smaller helipads.

Ka 226 deal was something we could have learnt a lot if done properly.

Why don't they ever focus on the task at hand? The task is to make IMRH & an attack helicopter with the same lift as Apache & equivalent capabilities. They can sign a deal with either Rolls Royce or GE for RTM 322, T700 GE 701engines. Since we already fly the Apache we anyway need these engines for overhaul & replacement. Tejas too is importing GE engines - just extend the deal. In the background, they can keep developing an engine when that gets ready they can make changes to the design to accommodate the indigenous engine. I guess this line will never be pursued because it just makes too much sense.

IMRH will be base for Apache class attack helicopter. It's been mentioned before. Helicopters are one area where we are doing good albeit a little slow than we need.

silverghost

Country flag

2. Yes one can build the same in traditional open tail rotor or enclosed one , you just need a helicopter big enough. That's not even a question.

Coaxial tail rotor are better suited due to the fact they provide better stability while operating them and the kind of varied regions we operate in they are more safe. Also due to decrease in length they can be operated from smaller helipads.

IMRH will be base for Apache class attack helicopter. It's been mentioned before. Helicopters are one area where we are doing good albeit a little slow than we need.
I understand which is why I am saying they should focus on making a helicopter with an imported engine & be ready to switch or do some redesign to fit an indigenous one when ready. Don't delay the development of the helicopter because you don't have a suitable engine. The Apache too has been designed to use engines from two different manufacturers namely GE & Rolls Royce.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I understand which is why I am saying they should focus on making a helicopter with an imported engine & be ready to switch or do some redesign to fit an indigenous one when ready. Don't delay the development of the helicopter because you don't have a suitable engine. The Apache too has been designed to use engines from two different manufacturers namely GE & Rolls Royce.
We are using French engine in all helis we operate and have a great feedback on performance.

Safran is already enrolled for IMRH/DBMRH engine. We will be producing some parts of it and will try to develop our own by indeginizing it side by side.

Cheers.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag

I don't know how you have concluded that co-axial designs are better than a conventional design. If it is that better, we would be seeing all helicopters flying with co-axial rotor designs.

The conventional designs actually cater for almost every need. Easy to design and make because of the already established R&D and available data.

When we talk about the size, you cannot totally shrink the tail boom. It is needed to have the weather cock affect during flight and the rudder flaps are required to be bigger to provide that stability.

Flight control systems will become more complex. Rudder controls have to be rigged in a "collective" style directly to the rotor blades i.e, left rudder to one entire rotor disc and right rudder to the other one.

I'm not talking about the better one, but I'm just stating that a conventional design is easy and faster to make.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Disclaimer: IDRW
New 3000 shp Engine to power India's IMRH program: Safran
1690718777965.png

In a significant boost to India’s aerospace ambitions, Cédric Goubet, the CEO of Safran Helicopter Engines, has recently confirmed to Indian media the collaboration between Safran and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to develop a groundbreaking new engine. This 3,000 shp engine will be specifically designed to power HAL’s proposed IRMH (Indian Multi-Role Helicopter), an impressive 13-ton Medium Utility helicopter.
The new engine, as affirmed by Goubet, will not be a mere variant but a brand-new design, drawing upon Safran’s extensive experience and expertise in engine development.
The collaboration between Safran and HAL is structured on a 50:50 workshare, reflecting a true partnership where both entities will pool their resources, knowledge, and technological prowess to develop the new engine program. Additionally, HAL will be actively involved in the development of certain components of the Hot Section (Core) of the engine, further cementing India’s role in this landmark endeavour.
To house this cutting-edge engine development program, a new state-of-the-art factory will be established on the outskirts of Bangalore, potentially near Tumakuru, where HAL already has a dedicated Helicopter facility. This strategic location will foster seamless collaboration between the teams and facilitate the seamless integration of the new engine into HAL’s proposed IRMH and other upcoming helicopter projects like LUH (Light Utility Helicopter) and Ka-226 Helicopters.
The first flight of IMRH has been planned somewhere around 2027 and Deck based variant of IMRH with a high All up weight of 14 tons might have its first flight by 2029-30. IMRH will be replacing Russian Mi-17I Medium Utility helicopters from 2032-33 onwards and the Indian Armed forces have combined requirements for nearly 400 Helicopters that will be manufactured under the SPV model between HAL and Private sector companies in the country.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The Russians would be regretting not allowing licensed production of Mi-17 to us and the Chinese when they had the chance with re-export rights. That would have assured them decades of income. Instead, now the Chinese are making their own versions of Airbus-derived jets and we are also going to replace the Mi-17s with IMRH in the coming decades.

I wonder whether Russia would have any market left at all in the coming years. Their Mi-38 new helicopters are potent platforms but the lack of orders has kept them flying only a prototype. Their largest markets would be countries in Africa at this point, given how they are turning fiercely pro-Russian.

The future large helicopter export market looks like this:

India - IMRH (under development)
China - AVIC AC313 (currently operational)
South Korea - KAI Surion (under LSP)
Russia - Mi-17 and Mi-38 (currently operational)
US - Sikorsky CH-53 (modernized)
Europe/France - Airbus EC725 Super Puma (currently operational)
Turkiye - TAI T925 (under development)

The helicopter market just got super crowded. Our main competition will be the Koreans and Turks as both of them aggressively compete in the global new markets and have gained a significant customer following.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles