Indian Electronics and Semiconductor manufacturing industry

Hari Sud

Country flag
Btw India really has 0 time to waste at all if the government is serious about the semiconductor mission. Even excluding China, there is a gargantuan supply of new semiconductor related plants worldwide, from wafers to packaging. Every other day some big factory is being grounded in Malaysia, USA, Vietnam, Singapore or the EU. The incoming glut may put off any future plants here for a long time as they will be economically unviable.

^ 2 days ago

^ 12 hours ago
None of these companies are offering to build in India. So I don’t care where they build. It is clearly Chinese of Taiwan affinity to fellow Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia to build plants there.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

SKC

Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag

What is the node size?

HeavyMonkeyBalls

Country flag
What is the node size?
Not exactly node size. Canon will produce machines which "carve" or "imprint" the transistors on the silicon. Until recently they were limited to being able to create lithographic machines which could create Chips upto 14nm.

They have developed a new lithographic machine which can create chips of sizes upto 2nm while being 70% cheaper than the EUV machines sold by ASML.

Overall, exceptional development if Canon does enter India.

P.S. These claims of 2nm, 4nm etc are just marketing. Transistors below true 7nm will suffer from quantum tunneling. Actual sizes of the transistors are bigger. Still very cool

Concard

Country flag
Not exactly node size. Canon will produce machines which "carve" or "imprint" the transistors on the silicon. Until recently they were limited to being able to create lithographic machines which could create Chips upto 14nm.

They have developed a new lithographic machine which can create chips of sizes upto 2nm while being 70% cheaper than the EUV machines sold by ASML.

Overall, exceptional development if Canon does enter India.

P.S. These claims of 2nm, 4nm etc are just marketing. Transistors below true 7nm will suffer from quantum tunneling. Actual sizes of the transistors are bigger. Still very cool
If they what Canon claim is actually true, that they have a Lithographic machine which is 70% cheaper than what ASML can produce, then it will be a big revolution in semiconductor industry. It is a extraordinary claim. I am very skeptical about it. Having said that it is great ASML is not a monopoly and there is some competition.

Right now 7nm node is more than enough I believe for lot of applications. If they can reduce patterning on the wafer for 7nm that itself will be a big deal and will reduce costs big time. At the end of day, node size is too misleading. If they are packing more transistors in the same amount of space with every new node, we can see more improvement in chips performance.

With respect to Quantum tunneling below 7nm, hasn't TSMC already transitioned to 5nm for Apple chips? Now they are aiming for 3nm if I am right. How did they deal with issues of Quantum tunneling?

HeavyMonkeyBalls

Country flag
If they what Canon claim is actually true, that they have a Lithographic machine which is 70% cheaper than what ASML can produce, then it will be a big revolution in semiconductor industry. It is a extraordinary claim. I am very skeptical about it. Having said that it is great ASML is not a monopoly and there is some competition.

Right now 7nm node is more than enough I believe for lot of applications. If they can reduce patterning on the wafer for 7nm that itself will be a big deal and will reduce costs big time. At the end of day, node size is too misleading. If they are packing more transistors in the same amount of space with every new node, we can see more improvement in chips performance.

With respect to Quantum tunneling below 7nm, hasn't TSMC already transitioned to 5nm for Apple chips? Now they are aiming for 3nm if I am right. How did they deal with issues of Quantum tunneling?
Canon says their machines will be "one digit" cheaper than the ones sold by ASML. Frankly that is something I find extremely hard to believe. The 70% figure is far more conservative in that context.

Regarding the naming conventions of 3nm, 5nm etc; it is all hogwash. For example 3 years or so ago the Intel 10mm was equivalent to TSMC 7nm. Clearly it was nonsense and Intel got so fed up by people thinking they're behind TSMC that they dropped the "nm" naming convention. Intel now names their processes Intel 4, Intel 7 etc.

Quantum tunneling is something which cannot be avoided. Maybe chip manufacturers will somehow exploit it the way it is exploited by flash memory manufacturers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles