Indian Electronics and Semiconductor manufacturing industry

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
India in talks with Intel and TSMC to set up semiconductor plants
The government late last year unveiled a $10 billion incentives plan, offering to cover as much as half of a project's cost, to lure display and semiconductor fabricators to set up base in India

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
The government late last year unveiled a $10 billion incentives plan, offering to cover as much as half of a project's cost, to lure display and semiconductor fabricators to set up base in India

Ya'll Nibbiars not manufacturing but processing, testing and packaging.

Concard

Country flag

They are not coming. They are focused on expanding their operations elsewhere. Instead plan to have a 28nm fab in India by talking to others who have bid for the PLI scheme. I still don't know with what confidence both Vedanta and Foxconn are foraying into semiconductor manufacturing when they have zilch experience.

gajapati

Country flag
Qualcomm, MeitY partner to support Indian semiconductor startups

Applied Materials to invest Rs 1,800 cr in India

thebakofbakchod

I have no idea why there is so much hype for semicons. It is a good start but there is still a metric sh!tton of electronic components Indians have 0 capability currently (either 0 capability at all, or 0 capability to produce at scale). Things like DRAM, SRAM, Image sensors, flash memories of most types, CMOS image sensors (or any image sensors for that matter), basic PCBs (most current makers here are Chinese), amplifiers, capacitors and inductors etc and these are just top of the barrel. I am not even going into real cutting edge technology in the realms of photonics, lithography, actual machines to manufacture the components stated above etc.

Still i hope Vedanta is actually serious about their proposal

Haldilal

Country flag
Qualcomm, MeitY partner to support Indian semiconductor startups

Applied Materials to invest Rs 1,800 cr in India

Ya'll Nibbiars thats in R & Ds.

Haldilal

Country flag
I have no idea why there is so much hype for semicons. It is a good start but there is still a metric sh!tton of electronic components Indians have 0 capability currently (either 0 capability at all, or 0 capability to produce at scale). Things like DRAM, SRAM, Image sensors, flash memories of most types, CMOS image sensors (or any image sensors for that matter), basic PCBs (most current makers here are Chinese), amplifiers, capacitors and inductors etc and these are just top of the barrel. I am not even going into real cutting edge technology in the realms of photonics, lithography, actual machines to manufacture the components stated above etc.

Ya'll Nibbiars even getting a processing, testing and packaging facilities is a big accomplishments.

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag

This post is the equivalent of somebody saying "Why train? You're going to lose anyway? Why study, you're going to fail anyway?"

Swesh

More like why study quantum mechanics when you havent mastered basic physics and math
Ironically : Additionally, an intent of MoU was announced between IISc Bangalore and SEMI, USA for building core competence of quantum technologies - multi-qubit superconducting quantum processors, photonic processors, diamond-based magnetometers, lab-level quantum-secured communication network etc.

SKC

Country flag
They are not coming. They are focused on expanding their operations elsewhere. Instead plan to have a 28nm fab in India by talking to others who have bid for the PLI scheme. I still don't know with what confidence both Vedanta and Foxconn are foraying into semiconductor manufacturing when they have zilch experience.
Just buy a old node like China bought VIA 45nm nodes and have now advanced to 28nm manufacturing on their own.
When I mentioned china buying VIA process few yr back here on DFI, people made fun of it. Now see they have advanced so well on their own.

SKC

Country flag

DRAM, SRAM, Sensors are made in Fabs only!
Fabs are not just making Desktop and laptop processors.

Haldilal

Country flag
DRAM, SRAM, Sensors are made in Fabs only!
Fabs are not just making Desktop and laptop processors.
Ya'll Nibbiars memory business is even more harder. And only my few countries have this tech that's Why Japan still rule in this fields.

SKC

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars memory business is even more harder. And only my few countries have this tech that's Why Japan still rule in this fields.
Its not hard but once a player establish itself in the field others don't try much as the margin in the fields are very low and it take upto a decade for memory fab to go into profits.
Most south east asia has Mem and small chips fabs.

Haldilal

Country flag
Its not hard but once a player establish itself in the field others don't try much as the margin in the fields are very low and it take upto a decade for memory fab to go into profits.
Most south east asia has Mem and small chips fabs.
Ya'll Nibbiars you need decades of R & D for the Memory development even other countries don't have that much in this, that's why many if the Western digital planet are in Japan most Japanese bay out firms by them and even inverting billion of dollars the mleecahs has just two firms who's earnings is not even note than 500 million dollars combined.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles