Indian Economy: News and Discussion

DingDong

Country flag
what? where is it available where you can ask in natural language and it will write a program for you with very acceptable pattern and efficiency and not just simple case but very intricate in almost any language? This is based on math concepts trained on large amounts of data. What you mentioned as not doables are future areas in the near future where AI can certainly be in a position to identify virus or at the least flag out of pattern signals based on continuous on job learning.
Point is not whether or not it solves every conceivable problem which it can't but point is that it has the potential to replace lot of average talent that can be replaced easily. This is a no brainer....reduction of number of dba's, network admins, server admins, programmers and so on are all AI can impact....anyone that underestiamtes this has another thing coming. This shit is real, companies have deep pockets and they can memorize lot of shit and exploit that memory just like human but billion times better.

They can't replace a human but they can replace routine jobs that humans can do over time if society removes or adapts to certain constraints. I remember people say the same thing when iphone did not come with stylus and so on....
I guess that you are not a CS graduate (nothing bad in that, don't mean it as an insult, just an observation).

Have you heard about the "uncomputable problems"? These are the classes of problems that no existing computation model can accept.

Computer programs can only simulate the NLP, it is an uncomputable problem (a turing machine cannot handle the class of natural language, it is restricted to the class of recursively enumerable languages), computers cannot really process the natural language. However, with the recent sophistication they can do their job that is close enough to a human.

For reference: Chomsky hierarchy of languages

AI will certainly replace certain jobs. However this is not a new phenomenon. Something new and shiny (I gave the cellular phone forcing the disappearance of the pay phone booths as an example) always replaces the existing redundant processes. However in the long term it will create more jobs and opportunities.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Labour intensive growth will come with mass quality education. Right now the majority of our youth are not capable of contributing anything productive apart from being pani puri vendors or farm labourers or other menial tasks. This needs mass apprenticeships in industries to fix, as just expanding govt schools with negligent teachers won't help.
Coming back to this,

1) Education (real skill development)
2) Healthcare
3) Urban development
4) minimal red tape.

There is no getting around these 4 if you want job intensive sustainable growth to reach upper middle income.

In the past 10 years, the Indian state has partially taken action on points 2 and point 4. Points 1 and 3 have received no special attention and have remained at the status quo of UPA days. The next term needs to bring 1 and 3 to the forefront as well as accelerate work already done on 2 and 4.

omaebakabaka

AI will certainly replace certain jobs. However this is not a new phenomenon. Something new and shiny (I gave the cellular phone forcing the disappearance of the pay phone booths as an example) always replaces the existing redundant processes. However in the long term it will create more jobs and opportunities.
That was the point it began with.....whether or not it will create new jobs and what kind isn't something we will know yet. It can do lot of things that average programmer at this point can do only constraint is processes and culture in IT is not designed around it. Little bit of time, startup's may leverage it unless its commercialized to a point where there is no incentive.

Most problems that have applications are deterministic and generally what we care or most care....constraints are boundaries around them to maintain safety and so on when you work in a particular domain whether its flying aircraft or doing simple indefinite integration otherwise they are theoretical....medicine is one area where AI can shine compared to the amount of assist medicine already gets.

Only new variable now is computing capability to do those training and learn. I am very well versed in math and at no point I challenged or claimed anything that says AI will solve every problem. Just like anything, most technology creates overhead of some sorts but this is transformative along with Quantum if it takes hold.

vishnugupt

Country flag

In Hindu religion speaking lies is biggest sinful act, It has no forgiveness and it's truly so.

Lies alone causing more harm to whole earth ( Animal, humen, environment ) than anything else we usually believe harmful.

The day Lying become punishable offence earth will achieve absolute peace.

Under the influence of Kaliyug, people/institutions are actually promoting lies under the garb of freedom of speech.

Gl0b0h0m0s Liberandu-sickulars are just an one of the arm of Kaliyug.

spacemarine2023

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India has started baby steps in both Jet Engine/Turbine Manufacturing and Low Performance Basic Semiconductor Chips

and another crown jewel tech India needs to lay a foundation is Biotechnology

Gene Editing Technologies
Regenerative Medicine
Microbiome Research

To start in this field time to launch 100 million Dollar or so fund for our Biotech companies/start ups to collaborate with Israel and Japan, this crown jewel technology requires same kind of iterative research like Jet Engine ones even if India get some foundational support with in a decade with BJP at helm we could have a robust eco system where our pharma companies can start getting home grown R&D support. This field is going to be as big as king kong in next decade or so.

Like other crown jewel techs these technologies will start feeding defense forces also creating hi performance more agile soldiers better than spending a million for an exo skeleton think few treatments and few pills worth a fraction can give same kind of battle field supremacy… civilian sector we can all assume

Last edited:

angryIndian

Country flag
That is of course a loss but they bring in 100 bn USD exchange every year and makes their family and Friends in India Prosperous.
The majority of the remittance money comes from semi-skilled Indians working in the gulf, not the US or West.

The kind of people we are majorly loosing to the west are best amongst the brightest, the people who single-handedly could bring about massive change.
Imagine the impact on Indian economy had we been able to retain the likes of Satya Nadella, Sunder Pichai, Vinod Khosla etc

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
The kind of people we are majorly loosing to the west are best amongst the brightest, the people who single-handedly could bring about massive change.
Imagine the impact on Indian economy had we been able to retain the likes of Satya Nadella, Sunder Pichai, Vinod Khosla etc
Majority of people we loose to west are youth who migrate on study visa and stay on work visa like working on hotels or warehouses.

Nadella or Pichai etc. are hypersuccessful exceptional leaders of an invisibly small minority which off course exists in India's modern entrepreneurs too.

We though certainly have lost significant manpower which could add 2-3 percentage points in growth every year.

SKC

Country flag
IT sector is down due to Russia Ukraine war and recession in Europe.

Every sector has its up and down. Things will surely change.

Unfortunately mostly Indians focus in Job rather than creating the jobs.

I have seen people who have good resources in Village but still they prefer to work in city merely for 30-40k salary.

Indians has developed a stigma around everything except jobs. if you have 20k salary job then you are better person than person who have 100 acres land in village.

I give you a very good example of mine. My father did BSc in 1980 and chose to be farmer and his friend become teacher... He used to say why you are stuck in mud. Search job somewhere.. leave village ( in a good manner, not in derogatory manner) but now my father has 3 time more property than his friend. My father take daily 12:00 -15:00 nap which we never had in our job life.

I mean, we will never be rich person if we stuck in jobs. Jobs is good for initial days to get enough money to start business.

Look at Gujarat where people study less and do business hard whereas in Bihar people study hard but hate business.

Sorry for long lecture.
Both has their own place in society. Not everyone is born in a family with 100acre of land. They can't afford to not take a job and take care of ancestral property and farms instead.
Moving out of Village and take a job is the only way to succeed in life for majority of Indian Labour.

Next point of doing business, again majority of population is not born in a wealthy family where you can just decide one day to start a business. It needs a lot of upfront money which is not available to most.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Majority of people we loose to west are youth who migrate on study visa and stay on work visa like working on hotels or warehouses.

Nadella or Pichai etc. are hypersuccessful exceptional leaders of an invisibly small minority which off course exists in India's modern entrepreneurs too.

We though certainly have lost significant manpower which could add 2-3 percentage points in growth every year.
even now there will be enough number of middle management folks within the country, who are capable of such leadership roles. brain drain was there in our school text books too, we will need think beyond trying to figure out additional factors.

as far as i know, only TATA group have such a talent grooming program, they identify and groom talent very early, they move identified top talent around their various companies for them to gain experience in various sectors, and their CXO positions are filled from within this talent pool.

an argument can also be made, that 30 years(of market liberalisation) is not enough for market to stabilise, for long term trends to emerge . and with in those 30 years, 10 years got wasted by failing to sustain the market momentum. and even on failures, there were only a handful of major corporate failures, satyam, sahara, and kingfisher.

instead of bothering too much about the past, let's see if in next 30 years, talent will supported by funds to create new market magic. for subject matter experts to emerge in industries, the industry itself needs to be on growth path for atleast multiple decades, where growth momentum of the industry is an incentive for an talented a young man to stay the course for a few decades and not just chasing salary hikes by jumping companies in quick succession, so that by the time he is 40 or 50 years old he has seen enough end to end cycles of success and failures to know which paths to take or not take.

in our case, since all new market trends are borrowed from outside, as in whatever tech/market trend is happening outside, our money bags chase it, which makes our trends dependant on global factors. which leaves limited choices for our young men, they don't know if the career choice they make will last a decade or two.

one conclusion we can arrive, is that to create domestic market magic, it has to be a completely novel domestic origin product or service category, so that the talent within the country can dictate the global trend ,if it becomes global brand it's a plus.

Last edited:

SKC

Country flag
70-75% placement is the normal average at all the IITs, it has been like that since the time immemorial. Companies prefer fresh graduates over the others (M.TECH., B.SC, M.SC. etc).

Don't forget the reserved categories. 😜

Don't read too much into it.
Not sure if already posted:
This thread give the real picture of the placements in IITs

SKC

Country flag
"In 2018-19, 30.03% of students were unplaced at IIT Bombay because not every student who registers for placement is bound to participate in it.

In 2019-20, 32.35% of students were unplaced at IIT Bombay because PPOs are not counted in this calculation."

"In 2020-21, 41.62% of students were unplaced at IIT Bombay because many students go for Civil services or MS.

In 2022-23, 30.20% of students were unplaced at IIT Bombay because Offcampus offers are not counted in this calculation"

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

A man goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, wherever I touch, it hurts."
The doctor asks, "What do you mean?"
The man says, "When I touch my shoulder, it really hurts.When I touch my knee - OUCH! When I touch my forehead, it really, really hurts."
The doctor says, "I know what's wrong with you. You've broken your finger!"

the broken finger is the news media.. :yo: they are broken, so they see everything as broken.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Both has their own place in society. Not everyone is born in a family with 100acre of land. They can't afford to not take a job and take care of ancestral property and farms instead.
Moving out of Village and take a job is the only way to succeed in life for majority of Indian Labour.

Next point of doing business, again majority of population is not born in a wealthy family where you can just decide one day to start a business. It needs a lot of upfront money which is not available to most.
I agree with with your upper half reply. But there are huge population who have better financially background.

Though Business doesn't mean you have to have big money or big startup. There are opportunities at every level from Pakoda stall to high-tech start up.

This is an another problem that we do not believe business take decades to grow. We want to earn millions in few months.

Problem is we see small business with pitty. Most of people doing small business as timepass. They don't even think it can grow so do not maintain qualities.

We put our sweat and blood in private job but not even half serious in our own business.

A businessman will leave their offspring at where he is at present ( Boss of business) whereas, I salary men will leave their offspring where he was ( Jobless)

If you see in long run businessman family remain rich even if subsequent family members are even half serious in business ( few exceptions) but for salary men every generation have to start from zero and growth will be stagnant for generations.

DingDong

Country flag

Many students don't opt for the placement. The media house which originally reported this propaganda piece simply played with the numbers. The report is simply a ratio of the total number of students vs the total number of placements. Those who prepared the report deserve a scrutiny because it shows malice.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The majority of the remittance money comes from semi-skilled Indians working in the gulf, not the US or West.

We have many talented guys here but they need a fair environment like US to grow. Unless you put in proper environment and remove red tapism, country can not grow to its fullest potential. A small government officer has excessive right to make the life of a businessmen a hell. Make the regulation friendly. If i would have been on the helm of administration, I would order Babus to frame all business laws in a manner that any LAW book should not exceed 200 pages.

tsunami

Country flag

It's election season sir... they have to push the narrative of no jobs (Be-rojgari). No one care about the reason or logic.

omaebakabaka

In Hindu religion speaking lies is biggest sinful act, It has no forgiveness and it's truly so.

Lies alone causing more harm to whole earth ( Animal, humen, environment ) than anything else we usually believe harmful.

The day Lying become punishable offence earth will achieve absolute peace.

Under the influence of Kaliyug, people/institutions are actually promoting lies under the garb of freedom of speech.

Gl0b0h0m0s Liberandu-sickulars are just an one of the arm of Kaliyug.
In the spirit that is true....one can momentarily "lie" to get someone out of danger for life or yourself and the only way to do so is by a momentary lie and not habitual lie for personal gain or profit. I forgot the story from upanishad that details this aspect. Story was that dharma is while absolute still factors common sense unlike someother sand bagger religions that claim righteousness. I will need to find that upanishad reference.

angryIndian

Country flag

36% Of IIT Top 1000 Rankers, 62% Of Top 100 Rankers Have Moved Out Of India as per some estimate

And for many moving abroad is not out of choice but compulsion as it is very difficult to build a career in any field other than IT and Finance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles