Indian Economy: News and Discussion

SKC

Country flag
LLM stands for large language model. They're aren't designed to do coding. Very soon, more advanced models designed for coding will be released, then we'll see the impact.

The firm will definitely pay for such subscriptions if it turns out to be cheaper than hiring FTEs. Essentially, productivity will increase, so number of resources required to do a job will decrease.
You are presenting it like there is a UI with a text bar where we will type: Give me 3-hour movie on this-hat topic and tool will give you output in 5 min.

Usually, these tools provide templates and framework, but you have to build your own program using them with lot of manual work.

karn

Country flag
The software industry will ultimately meet the same fate as the manufacturing industry.

Once upon a time, mass recruitment was the norm in the manufacturing sector. Today, massive plants are being run by just a few dozen or a few hundred people.

Software engineer recruitment will face a significant decline, with numbers dropping considerably from today's levels.
The decline will happen but
not even close to the levels of the manufacturing industry.
To cause a general collapse a la manufacturing ai would need to be close to general intelligence . At that level there will be no white collar job remaining and most service jobs remaining viable.

Crazywithmath

Country flag
The software industry will ultimately meet the same fate as the manufacturing industry.

Once upon a time, mass recruitment was the norm in the manufacturing sector. Today, massive plants are being run by just a few dozen or a few hundred people.

Software engineer recruitment will face a significant decline, with numbers dropping considerably from today's levels.
LLMs have been here for years now; just how many jobs have been directly affected? And AI isn't anywhere close to replacing devs/programmers yet - try creating a large complex project from scratch using GPT and you would understand what I am implying here. And lastly, AI is NOT a problem solver.

I have been reading all these sci-fi stuffs for years now - how self driving cars would replace car drivers, how automated MRTs and HSRs/SHSRs would replace train operators, how drones and UAVs would replace armed forces (as if real life warfare is a Japanese animated movie) and what not - how did those turn out, eh?

Stack Overflow has been online for over a decade now; did the number of active software engineers go down?

Increased automation has been a feature of post WWII industrial setups. How many jobs did it eat up? Are more and more people scavenging on the streets because they are jobless and can't afford shit? Did the quality of life go down? Is an average Joe worse off than his grandfather?

Physx32

Country flag
You are presenting it like there is a UI with a text bar where we will type: Give me 3-hour movie on this-hat topic and tool will give you output in 5 min.
When did I say this? I wasn't even talking about Sora.
Usually, these tools provide templates and framework, but you have to build your own program using them with lot of manual work.
We don't have a proper model designed for IT and coding yet, how do you what the tool will do?

Read what I wrote twice before replying.

Physx32

Country flag
how automated MRTs and HSRs/SHSRs would replace train operators
CBTC based GoA3 system has already replaced metro train drivers in Delhi Metro Pink line. ATO is essentially mandatory for achieving a high frequency (like 90s) in a system with PSDs.

This was a bad example.

sauntheninja

Country flag

This isn't a bad thing imo. Today most people join software engineering for just the money and the prestige nobody is interested in how stuff actually works under the hood. I tried discussing how to build hand written parsers with my coworkers and nobody is even interested in the technology all are obsessed over doing certifications. Look at the situations in the 90s when this field didn't have the money and prestige and look at the level of engineers at that time. This field is due a correction and hopefully by the end only people interested in it join the industry

Crazywithmath

Country flag
CBTC based GoA3 system has already replaced metro train drivers in Delhi Metro Pink line. ATO is essentially mandatory for achieving a high frequency (like 90s) in a system with PSDs.

This was a bad example.
I should have been more specific.

Wrote in context of rapid rail/HSRs/SHSRs. Back in the '60s and '70s, automated high speed rails, maglev and hovertrains were touted as some of the safest, cheapest and most reliable alternatives to short/medium distance flights. 50 years on, very few nations have true SHSRs (let alone automated HSRs) and only two nations operate maglev trains (with at least some degree of automation). And driverless hovertrains never saw the light of day.

Automation did not take off the way it was projected to.

angryIndian

Country flag
LLMs have been here for years now; just how many jobs have been directly affected? And AI isn't anywhere close to replacing devs/programmers yet - try creating a large complex project from scratch using GPT and you would understand what I am implying here. And lastly, AI is NOT a problem solver.

I have been reading all these sci-fi stuffs for years now - how self driving cars would replace car drivers, how automated MRTs and HSRs/SHSRs would replace train operators, how drones and UAVs would replace armed forces (as if real life warfare is a Japanese animated movie) and what not - how did those turn out, eh?

Stack Overflow has been online for over a decade now; did the number of active software engineers go down?

Increased automation has been a feature of post WWII industrial setups. How many jobs did it eat up? Are more and more people scavenging on the streets because they are jobless and can't afford shit? Did the quality of life go down? Is an average Joe worse off than his grandfather?
The thing is LLMs that you see today are an exponential jump over what we used to see in the 2017-18 era.
In those days I used to work on GPT-2 and the difference I find between GPT-2 and GPT-4 is the same as between a bicycle and F35 5th-gen stealth fighters.

All the AI work I did until 2020 is almost antiquated in 2024. Back then nobody could have imagined even in their wildest dreams that you could make a high-quality realistic video just by typing a few sentences.

Still, I'm not saying that AI will replace all humans in coding jobs, just that the mass recruitment of software engineers that we used to see until recently is very unlikely to happen in the future.

As for the impact of automation on manufacturing jobs. Even in India, you can see its impact with a significant portion of the repetitive and low-skilled labor force in factories being replaced by machines.

I remember giving an example of LPG plants on this forum some time ago.
Until the early 2010s, if you visited an LPG bottling plant, you would have witnessed the manual bottling of domestic cylinders. This process required 80-100 people to fill roughly 4,000 cylinders within an eight-hour timeframe. Today the labor force has been replaced by cutting-edge machines that can achieve a filling capacity of over 80,000 cylinders in the same period and those machines require no more than 4-5 people for maintenance and supervision.

ListenLittleMan

Country flag
to share market gyanis in the forum, what is the logic behind LIC being in share market?

as in what does LIC do with market capitalisation ? do they invest this money, over and above what they get thru premiums?
To bailout loss making PSUs sometimes :rofl:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

thebakofbakchod

thebakofbakchod

This facility will create 10000 jobs.

thebakofbakchod

^ this is a very tiny company, built by a Kerala PSU Keltron, in collab with ISRO. It can produce just over 2000 capacitors a day, and close to 2 million a year once fully expanded. Amazing how no private company set up such plants. This is why having PSUs is a good thing. They need to liberaise PSUs to let them work more closer to how cheeni SOEs work or local private companies -> freely raise market share, no pensions, limited labour union etc.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

^ this is a very tiny company, built by a Kerala PSU Keltron, in collab with ISRO. It can produce just over 2000 capacitors a day, and close to 2 million a year once fully expanded. Amazing how no private company set up such plants. This is why having PSUs is a good thing. They need to liberaise PSUs to let them work more closer to how cheeni SOEs work or local private companies -> freely raise market share, no pensions, limited labour union etc.
Buddy you better do some more research on keltron and their shady practices and corruption they are doing under commie rule.

Last edited:

ym888

Both state-owned and private enterprises in China are required to buy five kinds of social insurance for their employees, including pension insurance, medical insurance, work-related injury insurance, unemployment insurance and maternity insurance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles