Indian Economy: News and Discussion

RedHood108

Country flag
@FalconSlayers going by your reaction. It seems you don't consider my facts true & still sticking to your bullshit.

So I ask you. Do your own research, I have already given you a direct. I have wasted far more time on this topic than I should have since yesterday. I am fuckin tired.

@ezsasa I will try to provide the source to all this as fast as I can.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
What you're posting here isn't fact but pure nonsense, you're the one who can't differentiate between last year's GDP data and current year's projections and making up absurd calculation methods.

RedHood108

Country flag
What you're posting here isn't fact but pure nonsense, you're the one who can't differentiate between last year's GDP data and current year's projections and making up absurd calculation methods.
I can't help it, if you have English comprehension issues.

India's GDP is now $3.75 trillion.

Why don't you google difference between Nominal Exchange Rate & Real Exchange rate which you are using, instead of being argumentative.

I even provided you the formula for it.

Real exchange rate = (Nominal Exchange Rate x Domestic Price) / Foreign Price

Last edited:

RedHood108

Country flag
Difference between Real Exchange Rate & Nominal Exchange Rate.

The real exchange rate is different from the nominal exchange rate. The nominal exchange rate simply states how much of one currency (i.e. money) can be traded for a unit of another currency⁴. The real exchange rate, on the other hand, describes how much of a good or service in one country can be traded for one of that good or service in another country⁴.

The real exchange rate is calculated by multiplying the nominal exchange rate by the ratio of prices between the two countries². The prices can be measured by using a single representative good (such as the Big Mac) or a basket of goods and services (such as the consumer price index)². The real exchange rate reflects the actual purchasing power of a currency and adjusts for inflation³.

The real exchange rate is important because it can affect the trade balance of a country. A high real exchange rate means that the domestic goods and services are relatively expensive compared to the foreign ones, which can reduce the demand for exports and increase the demand for imports. A low real exchange rate means that the domestic goods and services are relatively cheap compared to the foreign ones, which can boost the demand for exports and reduce the demand for imports³.

Source: 08/09/2023
(1) An Overview of Real Exchange Rates - ThoughtCo. https://www.thoughtco.com/overview-of-real-exchange-rates-1146775.
(2) Real Exchange Rates: What Money Can Buy - IMF. https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/fandd/issues/Series/Back-to-Basics/Real-Exchange-Rates.
(3) Nominal and Real Exchange Rates - Quickonomics. https://quickonomics.com/nominal-and-real-exchange-rates/.
(4) Real vs Nominal Exchange Rate – All You Need to Know - eFinanceManagement. https://efinancemanagement.com/international-financial-management/real-vs-nominal-exchange-rate.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Reason why India can't sustain high GDP growth, our firms are still importchhap.
View attachment 221700View attachment 221701
Problem is these shitty conglomerates with import and sell strategies, sometime government should think of giving a danda to them but since they own Modi one can't expect that.

We don't have any heavy engineering base because nobody wants to build it here.

another_armchair

Country flag
Problem is these shitty conglomerates with import and sell strategies, sometime government should think of giving a danda to them but since they own Modi one can't expect that.

We don't have any heavy engineering base because nobody wants to build it here.
More than anything else, it is the cost.

BHEL keeps lamenting about the same.

BHEL makes everything that is imported from China but BHEL is losing out because of the cost advantage China enjoys.

SKC

Country flag
From my personal experience and that of colleagues, friends etc, Dell Latitude series beats everything dished out by Lenovo bar the IBM flagship Thinkpad series.

I still have a 12 year old Lenovo Ideapad lying around but the problem I faced with it exists in new Lenovos too bar the Thinkpad. Truth be told, I haven't used a thinkpad in years so can't say anything but the original IBM Thinkpads were in a league of their own w.r.t performance and durability.

Cousin sis bought a Lenovo couple of years back against my advice and the same got trashed in two years.

People may have similar experiences with HP or Dell.. don't know but my order of preference will remain Dell/HP/Acer over Lenovo.
My organization buys laptops in bulk - 10-12K in one go and they order HP, Dell and Lenovo in cycle.

After over 2 decades of doing this the IT team can declare it as universal Truth: Lenovo > HP > Dell.

tsunami

Country flag
My organization buys laptops in bulk - 10-12K in one go and they order HP, Dell and Lenovo in cycle.

After over 2 decades of doing this the IT team can declare it as universal Truth: Lenovo > HP > Dell.
My organization gave me DeLL :smash:

• Haha
Reactions: SKC

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
The gdp of $3.75 for the current financial year, 2023-24—which if was true, then we should have a quarter GDP greater than $900 Billion (around $930 B). But we have $860 Billion. We had around $830 Billion in Q1 last year and that kinda translated to $3.2 Trillion or something.

Quarterly GDP change, of course, but not too wildly. So, if purely take the government numbers, we would fall short of $3.75 Trillion. Maybe we'll hit $3.5 Trillion.

I'm not sure which year IMF is referring to, but regardless, a $860 B GDP for Q1 doesn't equate to a $3700 Billion economy.

If I'm missing something, please inform me. I hope I'm wrong here.
You forget that prior year GDPs are revised upwards as better data gets available. Previous year’s $3.2Tr could be revised upwards or the $860B for Q1 can get revised upwards or both. The numbers are not final. Plus India is yet to revise its base year since 2015.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

To the user who always seems to criticize Tamil Nadu's economy. There must be a reason why everyone seems to prefer setting shop here than anywhere else
Chennai port. Plus Telangana and Karnataka are also getting EV facilities. Ola is setting up EV factory in Hosur only because land prices are cheaper there compared to Bengaluru. Nothing to do with TN’s infrastructure, which actually is pretty bad. TN cities have only town level infrastructure. You will find very few luxury malls or high end consumer items in TN. See the YT videos for yourself. See sat pics of how TN cities look. Chennai is heavily underdeveloped for a metro city. Salaries are the lowest in Chennai compared to other Indian metros, maybe except Kolkata which is the poorest metro.
After the Chennai-Bengaluru Expressway is completed, people are going to setup industries anywhere that expressway goes through and not just in TN.
TN provides cheap labor + cheap land which might be attractive for some industries. TN Electricity Company is virtually bankrupt and the state government is highly corrupt. Given this scenario, it is safe to say TN government has nothing to do with the state’s progress. Geographic location is helping.

Spindrift

If one were to buy Dell precision 5570 with TB SSD and 32GB RAM and 12th i7 processor in bulk what would be the cost of one unit?

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
I can't help it, if you have English comprehension issues.

India's GDP is now $3.75 trillion.

Why don't you google difference between Nominal Exchange Rate & Real Exchange rate which you are using, instead of being argumentative.

I even provided you the formula for it.

Real exchange rate = (Nominal Exchange Rate x Domestic Price) / Foreign Price
Tai’s tweet was deleted per your link. I think Tai said that in error. No way we have already achieved $3.75, maybe by the end of this year.

Cheepek

3 lakh subsidy by the state to "minorities". Eligibility criterion makes sure 90%+ are covered. Just need a DL.

View attachment 221715

Drain state's finances like this, then beg to central government for more grants. 👌👌👌
Damn, I read it wrong. It's 3 lakh subsidy per person/family, and not 1.5 lakh. Effectively, every Moslem family is given a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a car at the expense of the tax-paying-jeevis

Concard

Country flag

We order only HP and occasionally Dell. We are trying to diversify but we are not touching Lenovo with a barge pole. We had the opposite experience previously with Lenovo with cheaper parts being used inside to reduce costs which is a classic tactic Chinese use to knock out other players and rise prices later on. Lenovo PC's always had some issues. That is why we now have stuck to ordering only HP. Since Apple is not an option we are left with only HP and Dell as our only options.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Damn, I read it wrong. It's 3 lakh subsidy per person/family, and not 1.5 lakh. Effectively, every Moslem family is given a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a car at the expense of the tax-paying-jeevis
Is it government subsidy? It says some corporation limited and points towards a some private trust.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles