Indian Economy: News and Discussion

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I think I saw a comment the other day that exports grew primarily because of electronics exports, electronics is 15 billion $ which grew at about 45% same with textile, Ready made garments, and engineering goods. to be noted is that all these have govt policy backing whether it is PLI or some other govt policy.

one observation is that Modi govt doesn’t put all eggs in one basket, they spread the risk/opportunity among various sectors. it is also the case that they don’t get fixated on one sector like Congis used to do, IT sector. Modi govt seems to take up a few sectors at a time, give them policy driven boost and move on to next set while the previous sectors get on with their business and improve themselves.

Concard

Country flag
I think I saw a comment the other day that exports grew primarily because of electronics exports, electronics is 15 billion $ which grew at about 45% same with textile, Ready made garments, and engineering goods. to be noted is that all these have govt policy backing whether it is PLI or some other govt policy.

one observation is that Modi govt doesn’t put all eggs in one basket, they spread the risk/opportunity among various sectors. it is also the case that they don’t get fixated on one sector like Congis used to do, IT sector. Modi govt seems to take up a few sectors at a time, give them policy driven boost and move on to next set while the previous sectors get on with their business and improve themselves.
With respect to Electronics sector they need to give huge boost. Something close to 5 Lakh crore from semiconductor manufacturing to components to displays. This alone can set the foundation for boosting exports to more than $200 billion in Electronics sector.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
With respect to Electronics sector they need to give huge boost. Something close to 5 Lakh crore from semiconductor manufacturing to components to displays. This alone can set the foundation for boosting exports to more than $200 billion in Electronics sector.
electronics assembly is what they focused on last year and year before, semi conductor is what seem to have taken up this year. next year it could be something else.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
This year it will grow more.
Agriculture is the key to ending poverty in India, we need to focus in Agriculture in low tech sectors, by creating more jobs in mass employing sectors like Textiles, FMCGs, Footwear to improving agriculture practices across the nation we can pull out people dependent on agriculture from poverty.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
electronics assembly is what they focused on last year and year before, semi conductor is what seem to have taken up this year. next year it could be something else.
Ya'll Nibbiars this year and next year would be still semi conductors.

Last edited:

Haldilal

Country flag
Electrification can save 10000 crore in running exp and shaping engine aerodynamically can save save huge amount in operating cost as drag reduction will result into higher speed and low running cost.
Ya'll Nibbiars in regular and semi high speed trains not that much. And still needs diesel engines in the mountainous regions.

LaIllahaSigmar

Country flag
In all the ftas we are negotiating with richer countries, we often insist on a more favorable visa regime to allow better immigration into those countries.

How does india gain from this?
Is it only about remittances? Education?

Note: people have a right to seek better living standards and a life in richer countries
Given the state of our cities I don't blame them.
But I don't see why the state will encourage it.

Can someone explain?

karn

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars in regular and semi high speed trains not that much. And still needs diesel engines in the mountainous regions.
Isn't konkan one of the more mountainous routes.. will also need diesel locos in times if war

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
226 billion was till end of Feb, good chance to hit 250 billion in services. Also in that same link it says services trade surplus was around 95 biliion, so should cross 100 billion in services surplus.

So in summary trade balance :
Merchandise: -193
Services: + 104 (approx)
Net: - 89 billion.

Should be fine as our remittance and net FDI flow should be able to cover that. Hopefully India hits positive trade balance soon.
Remittance is almost almost in that range i.e between 80 to 90 bn USD. FDI will improve foreign currency holding. SBI had predicted that India will end up in trade surplus in FY 21-22. The figure seemed very possible as we had a very small trade deficit in previous year. Unfortunately, trend did not continue.

karn

Country flag
In all the ftas we are negotiating with richer countries, we often insist on a more favorable visa regime to allow better immigration into those countries.

Note: people have a right to seek better living standards and a life in richer countries

Can someone explain?
I second this .. other than safety and non discrimination.. why does the state care ?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Can someone explain?
it gives Indian state an opportunity to keep an eye on future trends, technologies and competencies, ultimately Indian state wants to achieve parity with advanced countries.

karn

Country flag
it gives Indian state an opportunity to keep an eye on future trends, technologies and competencies, ultimately Indian state wants to achieve parity with advanced countries.
So where is the the govt policy to encourage return .. I know there is a small fund but it's miniscule compared to the output.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars No passes through many tunnels and in konkan not in Ghats.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles