Indian Economy: News and Discussion

sorcerer

Country flag
Number of govt medical colleges surpasses private ones: Data

With 90 new government medical colleges opening in the past five years, the number of government-run medical colleges have surpassed private medical colleges for the first time in India, according to government data.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...e-ones-data/story-yy3shBkdgVcFDM7gplblGL.html

Tnhis way we can take down the Xtian medial ecosystem!

Last edited:

Why so serious?

Country flag
With its global footprint, Amazon to export $10 billion of 'Make In India' goods by 2025: Jeff Bezos
TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Updated: Jan 15, 2020, 15:12 IST

NEW DELHI:

Amazon
founder and chief executive

Jeff Bezos
, who is on a three-day visit to India, said on Wednesday that the e-commerce giant will use its global footprint to export $10 billion worth of 'Make In India' goods by 2025.

Bezos also stated that Amazon is going to invest $1 billion in digitising the small and medium businesses in India.

Bezos arrived in India on Tuesday. On alliance between the United States and India, he said that it will be most important in 21st century and is "going to be the Indian century".

Speaking at a company event at New Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, Bezos described the step as "a first-of-its-kind mega summit" to bring together more than 3,000 small businesses.

Amazon will also use its "size, scope and scale" to export $10 billion worth of locally made Indian goods, said Bezos as he praised the country. "The dynamism, the energy ... the growth. This country has something special and it's a democracy."

The billionaire e-commerce magnate may also hold a meeting with senior government officials, sources have said.

Amazon has committed $5.5 billion in India investments and sees the country as a key growth market.

Bezos' visit comes at a time when the Competition Commission of India (CCI) is investigating into alleged violations of competition law by India’s largest online retailers Amazon and Flipkart.

READ ALSO:
The order for the probe comes after trader communities across the country levelled several allegations of violations of FDI (foreign direct investment) in e-commerce, along with the ones mentioned above against the online giants.

The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), which is spearheading a nationwide stir against the e-commerce giants called the order by CCI “historic”.

In December last year, Amazon invested over Rs 1,700 crore into its payments and wholesale business units in India, while in October it had infused over Rs 4,400 crore (more than $600 million) in its various units in India, including marketplace and food retail.

Bezos last visited India in 2014 when he presented Amazon's Indian unit with a giant cheque for $2 billion.

Since then, Amazon has pledged a further $3.5 billion to expand in the country and the $1 billion investment announced on Wednesday would take the total committed investment to $6.5 billion.

Sourav Kumar

Actually I had thought investment in India's equity would be great opportunity overall. But over last 2-3 years, investment in US equities have out grown than other economies. It is bit counter intuitive that developed economy is performing better than developing economy. Irrespective what one may think, Trump is holding US economy irrespective of trade war etc. @aditya10r @Haldiram.. Can any economy expert explain or we are seeing another buble?
Not qualified in economics and not qualified in stock market too, but there were and maybe still there are stocks (in Indian stock market) which were in OK valuation in last 6 months; only thing is that those stocks are not the big bluechip market leader stocks that everyone knows about. They are mostly midcap stocks.

For people who can invest in US equity certainly should invest in US equity (leaving the indian market for poor Indians :)). After all, we don't have an Amazon, Google or Netflix in Indian stock market!

Sourav Kumar

With its global footprint, Amazon to export $10 billion of 'Make In India' goods by 2025: Jeff Bezos

NEW DELHI:

Amazon

Jeff Bezos
, who is on a three-day visit to India, said on Wednesday that the e-commerce giant will use its global footprint to export $10 billion worth of 'Make In India' goods by 2025.

Bezos also stated that Amazon is going to invest $1 billion in digitising the small and medium businesses in India.

Bezos arrived in India on Tuesday. On alliance between the United States and India, he said that it will be most important in 21st century and is "going to be the Indian century".

Speaking at a company event at New Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, Bezos described the step as "a first-of-its-kind mega summit" to bring together more than 3,000 small businesses.

Amazon will also use its "size, scope and scale" to export $10 billion worth of locally made Indian goods, said Bezos as he praised the country. "The dynamism, the energy ... the growth. This country has something special and it's a democracy."

The billionaire e-commerce magnate may also hold a meeting with senior government officials, sources have said.

Amazon has committed $5.5 billion in India investments and sees the country as a key growth market.

Bezos' visit comes at a time when the Competition Commission of India (CCI) is investigating into alleged violations of competition law by India’s largest online retailers Amazon and Flipkart.

READ ALSO:

The order for the probe comes after trader communities across the country levelled several allegations of violations of FDI (foreign direct investment) in e-commerce, along with the ones mentioned above against the online giants.

The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), which is spearheading a nationwide stir against the e-commerce giants called the order by CCI “historic”.

In December last year, Amazon invested over Rs 1,700 crore into its payments and wholesale business units in India, while in October it had infused over Rs 4,400 crore (more than $600 million) in its various units in India, including marketplace and food retail.

Bezos last visited India in 2014 when he presented Amazon's Indian unit with a giant cheque for $2 billion.

Since then, Amazon has pledged a further $3.5 billion to expand in the country and the $1 billion investment announced on Wednesday would take the total committed investment to $6.5 billion.
Ah Amazon!

I can't deny that I have fallen in love with Jeff Bezos. Jeff Bezos once said that his favourite activity in a day was washing dishes after dinner. Then itself i knew that his wife would try to move out/ go separate. Overall, once i believed that AWS could be replaced by something opensource. Since that did not happen, I am all for AWS now :)

Haldiram

Country flag
biggest corporate crook in whole while world is in India ---- selling snake oil once again.
Gotta agree with that.

He ain't doin a favor by giving a platform to sell. They make money from creating a monopoly and blackmailing brands to accept their non-competitive terms. Big brands like Bata, Fastrack, Titan will love the increased exposure but our small brands will feel the heat of the predatory pricing.

Knowitall

Gotta agree with that.

He ain't doin a favor by giving a platform to sell. They make money from creating a monopoly and blackmailing brands to accept their non-competitive terms. Big brands like Bata, Fastrack, Titan will love the increased exposure but our small brands will feel the heat of the predatory pricing.
I mean they are a private company under no obligation to do work for others benifit they will only work for theirs.

The ones who are actually hired by the government to do something return home at 1 in the afternoon instead of 7.

One cant shout at them call them money milkers when our own government agencies pretty much do the same.

Haldiram

Country flag
I mean they are a private company under no obligation to do work for others benifit they will only work for theirs.
...and they are being given the appropriate treatment accordingly.

He doesn't owe us anything, we don't owe him anything. That's they line the US took when it came to Indian Pharma companies and H1B visas. No one owes anything to anyone so better not take anything for granted from our side.

PSU incompetence is not a good excuse to sell the nation to American corporates. Dono issues separate hai. The solution to PSU incompetence is to allow Indian corporates to take over PSUs. Isme America ka koi lena dena nahi. Ordinance factory wale kaam nahi karte isliye Lockheed Martin ko desh thodi na bech denge.

Wo log apne Indian companies ko wahan harass kar rahe hai, aur inko India me aake cabinet minister ke saath priority basis pe appointment chahiea. Line me aao bhai.

Last edited:

Why so serious?

Country flag
Gotta agree with that.

Though i agree with you on the monopoly and the non-competitive terms completely.

On the exposure front i think big brands already have decent exposure , it's the small brands who do not have it and these platforms are giving it to them.

I have ordered stuff , sold by sellers from Rajasthan, Delhi , Tirupur to name a few. Most of them direct manufacturers of garments and accessories. That would not have been possible if not for these platforms.

I don't know the long term impacts of these platforms, but right now both sellers and buyers are having a nice time.

The other day one my friends ordered 2 packages (different items) from Fort area of Mumbai at 11.00 am one was addressed for delivery at fort and 2nd one central Mumbai through Amazon prime. The fort package got delivered at 2.00 pm and the central Mumbai one at 7.00 pm the same day !!! I don't know how do these guys manage that.

Haldiram

Country flag
Though i agree with you on the monopoly and the non-competitive terms completely.

On the exposure front i think big brands already have decent exposure , it's the small brands who do not have it and these platforms are giving it to them.

I have ordered stuff , sold by sellers from Rajasthan, Delhi , Tirupur to name a few. Most of them direct manufacturers of garments and accessories. That would not have been possible if not for these platforms.

I don't know the long term impacts of these platforms, but right now both sellers and buyers are having a nice time.

The other day one my friends ordered 2 packages (different items) from Fort area of Mumbai at 11.00 am one was addressed for delivery at fort and 2nd one central Mumbai through Amazon prime. The fort package got delivered at 2.00 pm and the central Mumbai one at 7.00 pm the same day !!! I don't know how do these guys manage that.
They are forcing the vendors to comply with deep discounts on their sale days. The discounts are so deep that the vendor literally has to take a small % loss just to comply. Big brands are willing to take that hit in exchange for having a platform. Small vendors with smaller margins take a huge loss. The ones we see on the site are the surviving ones. That we don't see is the ones who shut down due to losses. There's a survivorship sampling bias.

Europe also has such anti-monopoly laws and frequently uses them to keep the spirit of free market and competition intact. Monopoly is the opposite of free enterprise. It allows a few with deep pockets to drown out competitors who may be better in quality but not have deep pockets to sustain a predatory pricing war.

CCI to probe Amazon, Flipkart for deep discounts, preferred sellers model

sorcerer

Country flag

NEW DELHI:

Amazon

Jeff Bezos

READ ALSO:

Boys are bend on Making India 5 Trillion economy

Why so serious?

Country flag
They are forcing the vendors to comply with deep discounts on their sale days. The discounts are so deep that the vendor literally has to take a small % loss just to comply. Big brands are willing to take that hit in exchange for having a platform. Small vendors with smaller margins take a huge loss. The ones we see on the site are the surviving ones. That we don't see is the ones who shut down due to losses. There's a survivorship sampling bias.

Europe also has such anti-monopoly laws and frequently uses them to keep the spirit of free market and competition intact. Monopoly is the opposite of free enterprise. It allows a few with deep pockets to drown out competitors who may be better in quality but not have deep pockets to sustain a predatory pricing war.

CCI to probe Amazon, Flipkart for deep discounts, preferred sellers model
Monopoly and the foreign ownership of these platforms are two most worrying factors. I was very disappointed when walmart bought out Flipkart.

It's surprising no big Indian company has tried to own any of the unicorn startups.

Even Kishore Biyani has sold some % ( not sure how much ) of Future group to Jeff Bezos.

Haldiram

Country flag
Monopoly and the foreign ownership of these platforms are two most worrying factors. I was very disappointed when walmart bought out Flipkart.

It's surprising no big Indian company has tried to own any of the unicorn startups.

Even Kishore Biyani has sold some % ( not sure how much ) of Future group to Jeff Bezos.
Info Edge has stake in Zomato, PaisaBazaar, Siksha, Meritnation, 99acres, Jeevansathi, Naukri.com

Why so serious?

Country flag
Info Edge has stake in Zomato, PaisaBazaar, Siksha, Meritnation, 99acres, Jeevansathi, Naukri.com
But sirji is that majority/ controlling stake ?

Cause i know Indian companies have invested even Ratan Tata and Mahindra have invested in private capacity but they are not majority / controlling stakes.

Haldiram

Country flag
But sirji is that majority/ controlling stake ?

Cause i know Indian companies have invested even Ratan Tata and Mahindra have invested in private capacity but they are not majority / controlling stakes.
It outright owns Naukri.com, Jeevansaathi.com, and 99acres.com, Canvera.com

And the rest of these companies they are the seed investor >> zomato.com (58% stake), meritnation.com, policybazaar.com (15% stake), mydala.com, Canvera.com, happily unmarried.com

upload_2020-1-15_21-11-22.png

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Look at how public money is wasted.
Govt imported onions under public/ media pressure and now the import has no takers. What a waste of taxpayer money.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-fears-stock-may-rot/articleshow/73253985.cms
Can't centre directly release tenders for this instead of relying on state government. I refuse to believe no big vendors want to buy these cheap onions when the onions being sold in market are of much higher price.

Also what prompted the centre to buy such a huge amount of onions when they knew that the prices will fall as soon as the new crop hits the market.
Lack of foresight?
Caving into pressure and Hysteria?

Who is to be blamed for this?

This is a problem and the gov must find a solution to this?

sorcerer

Country flag
Can't centre directly release tenders for this instead of relying on state government. I refuse to believe no big vendors want to buy these cheap onions when the onions being sold in market are of much higher price.

Also what prompted the centre to buy such a huge amount of onions when they knew that the prices will fall as soon as the new crop hits the market.
Lack of foresight?
Caving into pressure and Hysteria?

Who is to be blamed for this?

This is a problem and the gov must find a solution to this?
Wait for it...this is the usual tactic played by the big vendors..
its ONIONS..with very little shelf life [ The onion game is like this only]
The big players are playing a crude game!.
they would themselves buy it...when the pressure turns in their favor.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles