Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Prashant12

Country flag
Samsung signs agreement with Dixon to manufacture TV sets in India

KOLKATA: amsung on Friday inked a deal with home grown contract manufacturer, Dixon Technologies to restart local production of LED television sets.

The Korean electronics giant resumed India production of television after almost 15 months, when it stopped manufacturing at its own plant near Chennai in October 2018 due to imposition of 5% import duties on LED TV panel by the government and instead starting importing from its plant in Vietnam at zero duties through the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) route.

ET had reported last year November about Samsung and Dixon entering into an agreement for local production of television sets in the country. This was after the government scrapped 5% import duty on open cell TV panels last September.

The TV panel accounts for almost 65-70% of the production cost of LED televisions. There are currently no domestic manufacturers of television panels even though the government has been trying to push local production of this component.

In a stock market notice, Dixon said it will be manufacturing LED TV for Samsung from its manufacturing facility located at Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.

Sunil Vachani, executive chairman, Dixon Technologies, said he expects the partnership with Samsung will further grow since Dixon already manufactures washing machine, mobile phones and now LED TVs.

Incidentally, there was intense pressure on Samsung from the government to restart TV production since its exit was a blot on the flagship Make in India programme.

Industry executives said with import duty scrapped on TV panels, local production will help Samsung since it can better manage its supply chain and save on logistic costs now that there is no cost difference between local manufacturing and FTA imports.

The television industry in India is going through one of its worst years with sales remaining mostly flat through 2019 despite the cricket World Cup and Diwali. Consumers are increasingly buying Chinese and online value brands such as Xiaomi, TCL, Kodak and Thomson in screen sizes up to 43 inches, which forced Samsung, Sony and LG to drop prices by 20-40%. Local production will provide greater cushion for Samsung in case it wants to cut prices further, industry executives said.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ure-tv-sets-in-india/articleshow/73091044.cms

Haldiram

Country flag

@Haldiram sirji your views ?
The companies they have mentioned are very small companies, where manipulation is the norm. In principle they are right but humko thodi na unn companies me invest karna hai. Bigger companies are hard to manipulate.

For context, just to move the stock price of Nestle by 0.1%, one has to spend 140 crore rupees. Just 0.1%. It's like moving Hanuman's tail. The Urja Global company they have mentioned, the entire company is worth 91 crores. 91 crores is like a rounding off error in the balance sheet of Nestle.

We have 5000 companies listed in the market and out of that, only 50 or so are worth investing. No need to worry about the rest.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Bong unkil taking some serious pot shots at Modi Government.

How true is it?

Haldiram

Country flag
Bong unkil taking some serious pot shots at Modi Government.

How true is it?
Looks like a political essay. Baaki insaan accha hai, generally speaking. They are a financial watchdog group, they are supposed to look for financial irregularities. In that context, they are doing their job. They have unearthed many financial scams in the past, even made NSE pay 600 crores in fines due to their successful activism.

This case >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSE_co-location_scam

Think about it, where the NSE itself is involved in scams, who can we trust here?

As far as financial reporting is concerned, I'd prefer this kind of skepticism over baseless euphoria. Someone telling you to be cautious has nothing to sell. Someone trying to paint a rosy picture is probably an LIC or MF agent trying to score a sales commission.

Err on the side of caution wherever money is involved.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Annual GDP growth for FY 19 estimated to be 5% as per initial estimates...

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
How come no one's talking about the zooming price of petrol? The day before it was Rs 76. Went to fill up yesterday and jumped out of my socks when I saw it at Rs 80 per litre!!! Frikkin Rs 4 increase in one day??? :shock: And no one is howling? :confused1: (except me!!! :frusty: )

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Time to commit collective Harakiri.
Why so surprised, It was expected wasn’t it?

More importantly FY is almost over, there is nothing much anyone can do.

Me personally, one thing I got it wrong is that i overestimated recovery during festival season sales this year. Which didn’t happen.

And other factor is cement sales are below par, which is indeed worrying.

If anyone comes across explanation why cement sales were down, please share.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles