Indian Economy: News and Discussion

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It's not like Mahindra tried to tell us in any ads that they are making in-house engine.
people associated with the industry know this, mahindra as a group operates on low margins.

it's not just this industry, in almost all industries most of our folks do not know our strengths, i say this is because of MSM, their entire focus is on politics, movies and weekend paid product placements, a very limited understanding of India themselves.

Kumata

Country flag
people associated with the industry know this, mahindra as a group operates on low margins.
Blame it on luxury industry equivalent taxation on some thing as basic as automobiles... I do not know in which era our babu's are stuck that they think owning a car is a luxury in 21st century..while public transport keeps on gasping for breath every now and than... govt need to be shut the SRTC's and handover to Pvt operators IMO ..

but than nehru said, govt shud run 20 year old smoky buses ... and ensure people can go from place A to Place B .

karn

Country flag
at some point in the future, there needs to be a study on how much damage the "dark decade" (2004-2014) did to Indian economy.
Good luck .. there is a group of media friendly economics related people that maintain that whatever growth we have is cause of mms . They don't even credit ABV govt .. But i would love a breakdown of this .

Varzone

Tihar Jail
Banned
Blame it on luxury industry equivalent taxation on some thing as basic as automobiles... I do not know in which era our babu's are stuck that they think owning a car is a luxury in 21st century..while public transport keeps on gasping for breath every now and than... govt need to be shut the SRTC's and handover to Pvt operators IMO ..

but than nehru said, govt shud run 20 year old smoky buses ... and ensure people can go from place A to Place B .
Taxes on automobiles are indeed high but buying cars should not be encouraged rather the tax collected should be invested in public transport which govt is doing by building metros. More needs to be done with Buses and last-mile connectivity. Alas rural people with no option suffer but it's in the greater interest; they can't have special tax rate.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Taxes on automobiles are indeed high but buying cars should not be encouraged rather the tax collected should be invested in public transport which govt is doing by building metros. More needs to be done with Buses and last-mile connectivity. Alas rural people with no option suffer but it's in the greater interest; they can't have special tax rate.
Bus related infrastructure comes under state govt, hence not so much collective focus at national level.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
Actually due to variety of reasons our automobile market is somewhat saturated compared to China.
The chinese market is 26 Million cars per Year and we are hovering at 3.5 to 4 million cars per year. And top of that China have good public transportation network. Still they have staggering market for cars.

On the other hand our market is capped by some weird taxations like length of car, engine size will have different taxes. Even for the taxes people pay we have poor roads and poor public transport.

Varzone

Tihar Jail
Banned
Actually due to variety of reasons our automobile market is somewhat saturated compared to China.
The chinese market is 26 Million cars per Year and we are hovering at 3.5 to 4 million cars per year. And top of that China have good public transportation network. Still they have staggering market for cars.

On the other hand our market is capped by some weird taxations like length of car, engine size will have different taxes. Even for the taxes people pay we have poor roads and poor public transport.
Their per capita income is at least 4 times ours but there could be more to this.

Kumata

Country flag
Metro's are good steps IMO but thats within the city. there is a dire need to augment inter state / city transport. Railway have their own capacity issues & less said about SRTC here in north.. better it is...

Down south , i beleive there is a huge Pvt bus operators which takes care of such journeys...VRL , NEETA to name a few...

SKC

Country flag

Car taxes in India are absurd and the reason for the low sales compared to china despite being similar population.
China do have more part of their population in middle class but at same time they have restriction on sales in major cities despite that they are having 26 million sales a year.
However they don't have taboo of cars being cheap like we have. A large part of sales has smaller below 1000cc cars which are ultra cheap but same thing wont work in India. We made sure Nano flops here.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
But they got the foreign help:

Bharat Forge signs MoUs with foreign OEMs for indigenous defence production (forceindia.net)

Quote:
"Kalyani Group started with procuring off-the-shelf 155/45mm Austrian gun. Eventually, they created a facility in Pune by importing an entire manufacturing line from Ruag, Switzerland which included tools, fixture, furnaces, etc.
The first artillery gun that they built was Bharat 52, a 155/52mm caliber gun, with a range exceeding 40 km. It was manufactured based on the needs of the Indian Army.
At DefExpo 2020, Bharat Forge Ltd (BFL), signed a slew of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and announced strategic collaborations with different global companies for indigenous production."

There is nothing to be shamed of working with foreign companies or start as a screwdriver. The key part is whether the domestic companies start to invest heavily on the supply chains behind the final products: from components to tools, etc. That is what make Japan and China different from other developing countries.
Thats just one bloody part of it .
Ofcourse they are free to do what they want to do.
They got adequate help from the government in the atags artillery project .
Rest is their own initiative .
Indian government is not bound to take decisions just because a firm makes things fast and offers them for sale .

Roshan

Country flag
Thanks for the youtube video.... we here practice old farming ways ( Alternate between Wheat & corn aka makka as it's called here, with occasional colocasia & veggies) and as i near retirement, i am thinking of transforming the fields... it's going to be a tough shift from cushy corporate chair to sweat belting one..

let us see what future holds for me...
This video is a few yrs old. the one in the article i posted is the same guy. More than doubled his income in that time and teaching others these hacks too.
What better than growing your own food and making money while doing it. A city slickers dream.

thebakofbakchod

Car taxes in India are absurd and the reason for the low sales compared to china despite being similar population.
China do have more part of their population in middle class but at same time they have restriction on sales in major cities despite that they are having 26 million sales a year.
However they don't have taboo of cars being cheap like we have. A large part of sales has smaller below 1000cc cars which are ultra cheap but same thing wont work in India. We made sure Nano flops here.
That is not the real reason for the slow car sales. The actual reason is the pathetic road layout in Indian cities, especially the tier-1 cities where people do have the income to afford cars. I am not even joking when i say any random tier-1000 city in China has more 6+ lane roads than the entirety of India combined. Just open google earth and zoom into literally any city in China and take a look yourself. Such road network means they can easily absorb such massive car sales. Meanwhile every indian city is completely choking with traffic

1656328288910.png

This is a random city i zoomed into. Every single road is at least 4+ lanes wide and the planning is very uniform. There are only 3 cities in India with such road network - chandigarh, noida and gurgaon. The rest have sh!t tier planning where roads change condition and width every 10 feet and intersect at every other angle except 90 degrees. To boost auto sales, build more cities with a uniform layout

thebakofbakchod

Great news. Looks like Adani is serious about entering into the copper business. With this construction could begin in a few months. This plant will have a capacity of 0.5 million MTPA in phase 1 and 1 million once fully built. The now closed sterlite copper plant in tamil nadu had around 400,000 Metric Tonnes Per Annum so even phase 1 will fully replace the capacity.

Butter Chicken

Country flag
With various steps undertaken by the centre, domestic raw coking coal production is likely to reach 140 MT by 2030.

That is not the real reason for the slow car sales. The actual reason is the pathetic road layout in Indian cities, especially the tier-1 cities where people do have the income to afford cars. I am not even joking when i say any random tier-1000 city in China has more 6+ lane roads than the entirety of India combined. Just open google earth and zoom into literally any city in China and take a look yourself. Such road network means they can easily absorb such massive car sales. Meanwhile every indian city is completely choking with traffic

View attachment 161649

This is a random city i zoomed into. Every single road is at least 4+ lanes wide and the planning is very uniform. There are only 3 cities in India with such road network - chandigarh, noida and gurgaon. The rest have sh!t tier planning where roads change condition and width every 10 feet and intersect at every other angle except 90 degrees. To boost auto sales, build more cities with a uniform layout
There is no concept of city planning in India. Except for few outliers, most are expanding randomly like urban villages

Members can take a look at American cities(especially Miami,New York) to see what efficient cities should look like.
India looks poorer than it actually is.

SKC

Country flag

View attachment 161649

They don't have wide lane roads in China actually.
Only the main roads which cross main sectors have more than 2 lanes. Inside any areas they have actually 1 lane each side with side lanes for two wheelers.

tribendra bisoi.

The second phase of T-Hub is all set for inauguration in #Hyderabad. Spread over 370,000 square feet and designed to house more than 1,500 startups, this will be the world's largest #Technology startup incubator.

25 Indian cities will have 5G services by 2022 end. India's 5G auction will take place in July and commercial roll out from Aug-Sept. Pricing for 5G in India will be similar to current 4G services at first before it get raised as subscribers get used to it.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

View attachment 161649

Lolwa
1656343467431.jpeg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles