Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

Chinmoy

Country flag
As a missile based on originally liquid rocket, it is hard to believe this missile can have a decent accelerating capability at the beginning stage even it already changed to solid engine.
PAD is entirely different from PDV. PDV has been derived from liquid fueled Phrithvi which has now been modified into solid fuel based system. But PAD in itself has been conceived as a solid fueled system. Even designers were aware of the fact that anything derived from PDV would not be enough to intercept a 5k range incoming missile.
I had already posted a vid regarding its development in an independent thread. But sadly for you the discussion is in hindi rather then english.

no smoking

Country flag
PAD is entirely different from PDV. PDV has been derived from liquid fueled Phrithvi which has now been modified into solid fuel based system. But PAD in itself has been conceived as a solid fueled system. Even designers were aware of the fact that anything derived from PDV would not be enough to intercept a 5k range incoming missile.
That is interesting, according to Wikipedia and other Indian online sources, the PDV (150km altitude) is developed to replace PAD (80km altitude). And there is no document saying that PDV is a completely new missile. More importantly, as mentioned in this article and others, the maximum speed of PAD & PDV is around Mach 5 which is even lower than my previous estimation.

https://thediplomat.com/2017/12/ind...-destroys-incoming-ballistic-missile-in-test/

AMCA

Country flag
That is interesting, according to Wikipedia and other Indian online sources, the PDV (150km altitude) is developed to replace PAD (80km altitude). And there is no document saying that PDV is a completely new missile. More importantly, as mentioned in this article and others, the maximum speed of PAD & PDV is around Mach 5 which is even lower than my previous estimation.

https://thediplomat.com/2017/12/ind...-destroys-incoming-ballistic-missile-in-test/
PAD:

PDV:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
That is interesting, according to Wikipedia and other Indian online sources, the PDV (150km altitude) is developed to replace PAD (80km altitude). And there is no document saying that PDV is a completely new missile.
Ok.............................................:rofl:

no smoking

Country flag
PAD, like other Prithvi missiles, uses dual clustered liquid fuel rocket motor at the 1st stage while PDV have single solid fuel rocket motor at 1st stage.
Certainly, there are some updates on the PDV otherwise it won't be able to increase the altitude. But if you look at the shape of the missile (thanks to those gentlemen posting the pictures), it is very clear that PDV and PAD are both developed from the ballistic missile - Prithvi which don't put speed on the top of its priority. Just have a look at American & Russian's interception missiles, you can find their missiles are clearly designed to perfect the speed.

torque456

I
As a missile based on originally liquid rocket, it is hard to believe this missile can have a decent accelerating capability at the beginning stage even it already changed to solid engine.
I thought liquid based missiles are more manouverable and are faster too.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
slow or fast, i dont think interceptor
Certainly, there are some updates on the PDV otherwise it won't be able to increase the altitude. But if you look at the shape of the missile (thanks to those gentlemen posting the pictures), it is very clear that PDV and PAD are both developed from the ballistic missile - Prithvi which don't put speed on the top of its priority. Just have a look at American & Russian's interception missiles, you can find their missiles are clearly designed to perfect the speed.
For delicate task of interception IMHO, after a perticular point rather than speed, its maneuverability of missile which is important. By overspeeding you could miss the target missile. Therefore constant speed is important. Good example is this

a19737321761ea138af527e87334e2a0.jpg

Bird cause Boeing 737 this.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...e/news-story/ac95d59c235831528a9e6bbcd84d5f19
Had it explode, it would have taken out plane. Therefore to have impact with incoming hi speed target missile, you need to be at the right time, at the right place, taking out your target.

BTW please post Chinese new warhead for BMD and how it work.

no smoking

Country flag
I

I thought liquid based missiles are more manouverable and are faster too.
More manouverable? that kind of low g manuouverable is meaningless for defense missile!
Faster? No, here we are talking about accelerating which solid fuel engine performs better.

no smoking

Country flag
slow or fast, i dont think interceptor

For delicate task of interception IMHO, after a perticular point rather than speed, its maneuverability of missile which is important. By overspeeding you could miss the target missile. Therefore constant speed is important. Good example is this

View attachment 22579

Bird cause Boeing 737 this.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...e/news-story/ac95d59c235831528a9e6bbcd84d5f19
Had it explode, it would have taken out plane. Therefore to have impact with incoming hi speed target missile, you need to be at the right time, at the right place, taking out your target.
Agreed, but I brought up the issue of speed because Chinmoy wants to use PDV for boosting stage BMD which need the speed of defense missile greatly.

BTW please post Chinese new warhead for BMD and how it work.
We only know Chinese scientists are working on it but no much details were released except some American reports and observations. It was said that HQ-19 (similar to THAAD) entered the service last year, but there is no official picture/news, let's keep it as rumor.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Agreed, but I brought up the issue of speed because Chinmoy wants to use PDV for boosting stage BMD which need the speed of defense missile greatly.
I never said PDV to be able to intercept any BM during boost phase. I only mentioned that with Phase II PAD, there is a possibility to intercept any 2k range BM on its boost or coasting phase.

Please try to understand on what context a statement had been made before jumping to conclusion.

Papai Mondal

Only those interceptors which are capable of shooting down warhead mid air and not in terminal phases can be placed near borders. Only USA has that till now - GMD and that is because of multiple radars on the pacific islands to detect the incoming missile. India has no such radar across Pakistan

This makes Indian system more lethal & powerful, because Indian system CAN shoot down incoming threats even in terminal phase, that makes shooting down target at mid air easier with Indian systems

Kalki_2018

Country flag
In case of pakistan , they have very little depth and fill try to fire from far away 200-300 Km away from Indian border to avoid being intercepted in boost phase. I hope DRDO is already working on Air launched interceptors which can be launched from MKI.

no smoking

Country flag
I never said PDV to be able to intercept any BM during boost phase. I only mentioned that with Phase II PAD, there is a possibility to intercept any 2k range BM on its boost or coasting phase.
Well, same to you, my friend. I never said that you claim PDV to be able to intercept during boosting stage. I said that you "want" to use it for that job, which I pointed out there is no such possibility considering the current features of PDV.

no smoking

Country flag
This makes Indian system more lethal & powerful, because Indian system CAN shoot down incoming threats even in terminal phase, that makes shooting down target at mid air easier with Indian systems
Terminal phase interception is the easiest part of all interceptions since you get more warning time, lower requirement to interceptors. The only problem is that is your last defense line, you miss it then you suffer the blast. That is why people trying to push their interception range up to the space or far to the missile launch site.

no smoking

Country flag
In case of pakistan , they have very little depth and fill try to fire from far away 200-300 Km away from Indian border to avoid being intercepted in boost phase. I hope DRDO is already working on Air launched interceptors which can be launched from MKI.
Nobody is going to launch a missile from border unless you are highly confident about the safety of the launch site. If Pakistan is stupid enough to do that, the first thing they need to worry is the cheap bomb carried by India fighters.

indiatester

Country flag
Nobody is going to launch a missile from border unless you are highly confident about the safety of the launch site. If Pakistan is stupid enough to do that, the first thing they need to worry is the cheap bomb carried by India fighters.
Unfortunately for Pakistan, their width is not that large. The farthest point should be around 700kms from Indian border. But most of their military bases are much close to India. So they really need to worry.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles