Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

cyclops

Country flag
Even if anyone detects a launch, in say, Quetta of Pakistan, India will not be able to send any missile to there before 5-10 minutes as missiles are not lasers. They take time to travel
We'll need faster hypersonic missiles and something akin to a ship based anti ballistic missile system(AEGIS like) if we are to increase our chances of interception.

ABMs(similar to the Standard series)on board destroyers patrolling the Arabian sea while keeping a continuous eye on the pakis should be our next goal.

That is the reason we are doing interception in terminal and coasting phase.

But theoritically speaking we could intercept a 2K missile in boost phase with PAD. But the problem is detecting it at the very second of ignition.
I think what you are looking for is something akin to the US SBIRS like network of satellites containing big ass IR sensors made specifically for early detection of ballistic missiles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-Based_Infrared_System

Large heat signatures of ballistic missiles being peered through by these satellites from above should detect BMs earlier than say radars and as a result make interception faster.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Yours truly got first one in Goa.
2nd screen shot & calculated explosive from drdo tech review. That yellow lines made by me.
3rd too tech review pdf.
oh did not know u snapped it , thanks for it

as for 2nd and 3rd , most of us are enthusiasts here, we try to make use of whatever info we can get from open source and piece it together.

so i dont know what the problem is :confused1:

anyways you should water mark the photos if you are worried about copyright

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
actually i uploaded the wrong pic of PAD anti ballistic missile/interceptor warhead previously

this one is the actual warhead of PAD - directional multi-EFP

Untitled.jpg

This warhead weighs only around 30 kilograms but will generate the impact of a 150 kilogram omni-directional pre-fragmented warhead.

Warheads based on multi-EFP concept have superior performance in terms of hit density, projectile velocity, and target penetration. These warheads forms EFPs with impact velocity of 2 to 3 km/s and are more effective at longer standoff distance compared to pre-formed fragments launched from pre-formed fragment type of warheads.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
oh did not know u snapped it , thanks for it

as for 2nd and 3rd , most of us are enthusiasts here, we try to make use of whatever info we can get from open source and piece it together.

so i dont know what the problem is :confused1:

anyways you should water mark the photos if you are worried about copyright

'bhai i dont have problem, even without watermark, being a lawyer i know how to deal with it.

Already times now, ABP, Zee and sister concerns of zee are under Copyright infringement notice for client.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
actually i uploaded the wrong pic of PAD anti ballistic missile/interceptor warhead previously

this one is the actual warhead of PAD - directional multi-EFP

View attachment 22288

This warhead weighs only around 30 kilograms but will generate the impact of a 150 kilogram omni-directional pre-fragmented warhead.

Warheads based on multi-EFP concept have superior performance in terms of hit density, projectile velocity, and target penetration. These warheads forms EFPs with impact velocity of 2 to 3 km/s and are more effective at longer standoff distance compared to pre-formed fragments launched from pre-formed fragment type of warheads.
I dont think this has caused this

PAD2 2009.JPG

PAD 2009.JPG

pic you posted, will throw fragments at max will go like this

ww.jpg

in one direction, where as what you are looking at is 360 degree spread of pre-formed fragments, then its detonation.

Chinmoy

Country flag
We'll need faster hypersonic missiles and something akin to a ship based anti ballistic missile system(AEGIS like) if we are to increase our chances of interception.

ABMs(similar to the Standard series)on board destroyers patrolling the Arabian sea while keeping a continuous eye on the pakis should be our next goal.

I think what you are looking for is something akin to the US SBIRS like network of satellites containing big ass IR sensors made specifically for early detection of ballistic missiles.
highly

Large heat signatures of ballistic missiles being peered through by these satellites from above should detect BMs earlier than say radars and as a result make interception faster.
Even SBIRS would not be upto the mark. We do need something like upcoming NISAR dedicated for this purpose. Along with highly complex detection, we do need it to be highly communicative with BMD system.

cyclops

Country flag
Even SBIRS would not be upto the mark. We do need something like upcoming NISAR dedicated for this purpose. Along with highly complex detection, we do need it to be highly communicative with BMD system.
On the contrary, a desi SBIRS would be terrific.
A group of 7-10 satellites with IR sensors continuously watching pakistan from all angles will more or less guarantee early detection of paki BMs.

NISAR I think is a radar based satellite, meant for environmental purposes as opposed to the SBIRS which is a dedicated bunch of satellites with IR sensors meant specifically for detecting ballistic missiles.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

AEGIS is not reliant on ships but on islands. India has no island. Ships are temporary but Islands are permanent, large and can be used as a decent and strong airbase. The islands should be located in a series of points which are linear as well as in the same line as the suspected enemy state. Our Islands of Lakshadweep and Andaman&Nicobar is not in line with the required targets

Chinmoy

Country flag
On the contrary, a desi SBIRS would be terrific.
A group of 7-10 satellites with IR sensors continuously watching pakistan from all angles will more or less guarantee early detection of paki BMs.

NISAR I think is a radar based satellite, meant for environmental purposes as opposed to the SBIRS which is a dedicated bunch of satellites with IR sensors meant specifically for detecting ballistic missiles.
Yes and No................ As I have already said, detection is just a part of BMD. In fact at present we do have the capability to detect any launch, but its not enough. You need to have capability to track it too after detection along with pin point ranging.

IR signatures are good for detection and short range targeting like those of AAM or SAM. But not ideal for satellite based system. As a whole its good enough for detection only. For rest, you need something like SAR. That's why I mentioned about something like NISAR.

porky_kicker

Country flag
I dont think this has caused this

View attachment 22292

View attachment 22293

pic you posted, will throw fragments at max will go like this

View attachment 22294

in one direction, where as what you are looking at is 360 degree spread of pre-formed fragments, then its detonation.
i am no expert , but my opinion is different

the pics u posted shows the explosion on hit ie the target missile going bang , residual fuel in the fuel tanks adding to the explosive effect.

the one i posted ie directional multi-EFP warhead will also have a circular pattern (look at the geometry of the warhead ) . when the warhead is initiated the explosive filler of the multi-EFP warhead will detonate , however its main force will be directional (circular due to circular face ie wave shaper) forcing a large number of hemispherical section liners in the form of projectiles. even then a significant amount of explosive force will be radial (due to circular casing of the body) which adds to the effect as seen in the pics posted by you, plus the effect of residual fuel and target warhead going off maybe

the directional multi-EFP warhead has been specifically mentioned as being designed for interceptor missile

the omni directional multi-EFP warhead is mentioned as being designed for anti ship use

plus think logically how will u gimball the omni directional multi-EFP warhead ie release the penetrators directionally in a specific direction . wont the penetrators be dispersed radially in 360 degree direction in a 2D plane much like continuous rod warhead. thereby it is no longer direction .

however the directional multi-EFP warhead can be gimballed on its mount and initiated to release its penetrators in a almost expanding circular/conical pattern in the intended direction in the forward arc of the carrier missile nose.

i am no expert , so i leave it to you to decide.

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
AAD Endo-Atmospheric Interceptor Headed For Systems Maturity

India’s Ministry of Defence-owned Defence Research & Development Organisation’s (DRDO) Hyderabad-based Research Centre Imarat (RCI( and its associated Sensors Research Society (SRS) has since 2012 accelerated efforts to develop a theatre missile defence (TMD) system using the AAD endo-atmospheric interceptor, which is specifically designed for neutralisingthe Pakistan Army’s China-supplied solid-fuelled single-stage DF-11 (Hatf-3/Ghaznavi) 280km-range tactical ballistic missiles and the North Korea-supplied liquid-fuelled single-stage Hatf-5/Ghauri-1/Nodong-1 IRBMs, both of which are conventionally armed. Presently, the Pakistan Army deploys two Missile Groups each of the Ghauri-1 and Ghaznavi (grouped under two separate Artillery Brigades, these being the Hyderabad-based Missile Brigade South comprising Missile Groups 25, 35 and 40; and the Sargodha-based Missile Brigade North comprising the 14, 28 and 47 Missile Groups).

Though the IAF had decided to acquire TMD assets way back in 1996, it was the DRDO that first got into the act of proposing a homegrown solution, for which it initiated the development of the PAD/PDV family of solid-fuelled exo-atmospheric interceptor missiles and AAD/AD-1/-2 family of endo-atmospheric interceptor missiles—with the AAD using an active radar seeker sourced from Russia for terminal guidance (and the THALESRaytheon-supplied S-band Master-A MFCR for mid-course guidance) and the AD-1/AD-2 rounds using medium-wave infra-red (MWIR) sensors for terminal homing.

Of the 15 test-firings of such missiles that have been carried out since November 2006, the PAD was test-fired only once, while the two-stage PDV was test-fired on April 20, 2014 and February 11, 2017. The PDV, which will take at least a decade to mature, is designed to intercept MRBMs (with atmospheric re-entry speeds of 5km/second more than 500km away) at an altitude of 150km. Though the PDV will be cruising at Mach 5, it will be required to attain a peak terminal speed of Mach 11—made possible by the divert thruster placed on top of the second-stage. The divert thruster will generate high lateral acceleration for the ‘end-game’. Both the warhead and divert thruster will be fired simultaneously towards the target once they are within the acquisition range of the PDV’s combined ARSEEK Ku-band RF seeker and the MWIR seeker.

Development of the AAD endo-atmospheric interceptor missiles has witnessed greater urgency, with the AAD being test-fired on December 6, 2007; March 6, 2009; March 15, 2010; July 26, 2010; March 6, 2011; February 10, 2012; and November 23, 2012. Following a three-year interval, the AAD’s missile’s test-firings commenced on April 6, 2015 and were followed by test-firings on November 23, 2015; May 15, 2016, March 1, 2017 and December 28, 2017. The Mach 8 AD-1 is yet to be test-fired and it features all-composite rocket motor casing, MEMS-based redundant micro-navigation system (RMNS), as well as a new-generation MWIR sensor that employs semiconductors using indium gallium nitride and aluminum gallium nitride alloys for the RCI-developed 1,024-element staring focal plane arrays. The AD-2 missile’s terminal-guidance sensor will operate in the ultra-violet bandwidth to give better solar radiation rejection. The AAD’s flight trajectory is shaped through aerodynamic control out to an altitude of 35km and a distance of 200km when used for intercepting re-entry vehicles flying at 9km/second. It is able to sustain up to 30 G, thereby making it unstable. at an altitude of 35km. It stands 7.5 metres tall, weighs around 1.3 tonnes and has a diameter of less than 0.5 metres.

India’s ‘desi’ TMD system using the AAD missiles is still another five years away from maturing, pending the availability by 2020 of a full instrumented TMD test range costing Rs.1,000 crores that will be located at Machilipatnam in Andhra Pradesh (from where the AAD interceptors will be launched from underground vertical-launch cells) and at Rutland Island in the Andaman & Nicobar chain of islands, from where the to-be-targetted ballistic missiles will be launched.

The Machilipatnam-based facility will also house one L-band long-range tracking radar (a licence-built clone of the EL/M-2080 Green Pine early warning radar) along with a launch-control centre, plus a five-array S-band EL/M-2248 MF-STAR target illumination/engagement active phased-array radar that will be mounted in a shore-based structure (which will also house two-way SATCOM data-link antennae) that will bear more than a close resemblance to the island of the Indian Navy’s Project 71/IAC-1 aircraft carrier that is now undergoing fitting-out at the Kochi-based Cochin Shipyards Ltd.
In other words, the Machilipatnam-based facility will be similar in design and deployment layout to Lockheed Martin’s AEGIS ASHORE system, which can be reviewed here:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Of the 15 test-firings of such missiles that have been carried out since November 2006, the PAD was test-fired only once, while the two-stage PDV was test-fired on April 20, 2014 and February 11, 2017. The PDV, which will take at least a decade to mature, is designed to intercept MRBMs (with atmospheric re-entry speeds of 5km/second more than 500km away) at an altitude of 150km. Though the PDV will be cruising at Mach 5, it will be required to attain a peak terminal speed of Mach 11—made possible by the divert thruster placed on top of the second-stage. The divert thruster will generate high lateral acceleration for the ‘end-game’. Both the warhead and divert thruster will be fired simultaneously towards the target once they are within the acquisition range of the PDV’s combined ARSEEK Ku-band RF seeker and the MWIR seeker.
PAD was first test fired in 2006 (saw it on DD news, Aaj Tak and NDTV still remembered that day, then thinking can we really do this, what only USA could do thst time), then in 2009.

Looks like Prasun K. Sengupta is getting really old.

debspark90

Country flag
PAD was first test fired in 2006 (saw it on DD news, Aaj Tak and NDTV still remembered that day, then thinking can we really do this, what only USA could do thst time), then in 2009.

Looks like Prasun K. Sengupta is getting really old.
It was 2006 and I was going to Tuition where I caught a morning suburban local train and it was winter. There I was reading it in the newspaper which my Dad used to take it away with him in the office. But that very day, I requested him to keep it with me, as I was really Awestruck at just reading the news headline itself.

And yes the first BMD test was that if PAD. Few months later the endo-atmospheric AAD was tested and the news of that test was already mentioned in the first PAD test report which was then to be conducted. I used to cut out those photographs feom news papers and keep them in a diary. AAD and PAD were part of it as well.

Last edited:

Kalki_2018

Country flag
AAD is being extensively tested and rightly so since porkis it is meant for pakis primarily but we do need to test and deploy PDV too, so china is covered by BMD's on all sides not just Japan, SoKo and Russia. So far I only see two test for PDV.

no smoking

Country flag
But theoritically speaking we could intercept a 2K missile in boost phase with PAD. But the problem is detecting it at the very second of ignition.
Well, that is why we call it THEORETICALLY. Actually, it is the most difficult one, there are too many issues to overcome, especially for land based defense missile. The main challenges include the short window between launch detection and the burn out, for example, the window of ICBM is around 160-175 seconds, it will be around 100-120 for 2k missile. The interceptor systems must be placed very close to a missile launch site and flying quick enough. The average speed of older generation missile during boost stage is around 3-4 mach, which means they only need 60-70 seconds to reach 80km altitude. Now let's assume PDV is flying at average speed 8 mach (which is highly unlikely for the beginning), it will take about 55 seconds to reach the launch site of enemy missile and it's own launch site, not to mention it also need to fly up to high altitude. So, even in the ideal environment, when your defense missile is 150km away, there won't be enough time to intercept a mid range.

Another problem is the safety of your own. Generally, the missile launch sites are deep behind the enemy's line and highly secured. 150km distance means your military units are less than 50km even if your enemy is stupid enough to put their sites only 100km from the front. So, there is a very big chance that they will find you and destroy you before you have the chance to launch unless you have the advantage as large as the US against Iraq in last 90s - fully control of the battlefield from land to sky.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Well, that is why we call it THEORETICALLY. Actually, it is the most difficult one, there are too many issues to overcome, especially for land based defense missile. The main challenges include the short window between launch detection and the burn out, for example, the window of ICBM is around 160-175 seconds, it will be around 100-120 for 2k missile. The interceptor systems must be placed very close to a missile launch site and flying quick enough. The average speed of older generation missile during boost stage is around 3-4 mach, which means they only need 60-70 seconds to reach 80km altitude. Now let's assume PDV is flying at average speed 8 mach (which is highly unlikely for the beginning), it will take about 55 seconds to reach the launch site of enemy missile and it's own launch site, not to mention it also need to fly up to high altitude. So, even in the ideal environment, when your defense missile is 150km away, there won't be enough time to intercept a mid range.

Another problem is the safety of your own. Generally, the missile launch sites are deep behind the enemy's line and highly secured. 150km distance means your military units are less than 50km even if your enemy is stupid enough to put their sites only 100km from the front. So, there is a very big chance that they will find you and destroy you before you have the chance to launch unless you have the advantage as large as the US against Iraq in last 90s - fully control of the battlefield from land to sky.
I do agree with all your points here. But one thing which you have to notice is that, India is setting up its ABM base very near to Pak border :). Now whether it would support only the RADAR or the whole system is not yet clear. Another news which is out is that PAD is a hypersonic missile.

So things are still somewhere there in grey line till now. May be we would have to wait for an actual interception.. :)

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
I do agree with all your points here. But one thing which you have to notice is that, India is setting up its ABM base very near to Pak border :). Now whether it would support only the RADAR or the whole system is not yet clear. Another news which is out is that PAD is a hypersonic missile.

So things are still somewhere there in grey line till now. May be we would have to wait for an actual interception.. :)
Only those interceptors which are capable of shooting down warhead mid air and not in terminal phases can be placed near borders. Only USA has that till now - GMD and that is because of multiple radars on the pacific islands to detect the incoming missile. India has no such radar across Pakistan

no smoking

Country flag
Another news which is out is that PAD is a hypersonic missile.
As a missile based on originally liquid rocket, it is hard to believe this missile can have a decent accelerating capability at the beginning stage even it already changed to solid engine.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles