Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
video of test it is quite interesting

tube launch and it has gone 30-45 degree at one point. Nasr run fast................here we come.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sorry guys, no time to edit, format. DRDO release as it is below.

(Press Release)
DRDO AIR DEFENCE MISSILE AAD-05 HAS SUCCESSFULLY HIT BALLISTIC MISSILE AND DESTROYS THE BALLISTIC MISSILE AT A HEIGHT OF 15 KMS OFF THE COAST OF ORISSA NEAR THE WHEELERS ISLAND. A MODIFIED PRITHVI MISSILE MIMICKING THE BALLISTIC MISSILE WAS LAUNCHED AT 1010HRS TODAY FROM ITR CHANDIPUR. RADARS LOCATED AT DEFERENT LOCATIONS HAVE TRACKED INCOMING BALLISTIC MISSILE. INTERCEPTOR MISSILE WAS COMPLETELY READY TO TAKE OFF AT WHEELERS ISLAND. GUIDANCE COMPUTERS HAVE CONTINUOUSLY COMPUTED THE TRAJECTORY OF BALLISTIC MISSILE AND LAUNCHED AAD-05 INTERCEPTOR MISSILE AT A PRECISELY CALCULATED TIME. AAD-05 INTERCEPTOR MISSILE INITIALLY GUIDED BY THE INERTIAL NAVIGATION SYSTEM WITH THE TARGET TRAJECTORY CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED BY THE RADAR, THE ON BOARD GUIDENCE COMPUTER GUIDED THE AAD-05 INTERCEPTOR MISSILE TOWARDS THE TARGET MISSILE. THE ONBOARD RADIO FREQUENCY SEEKER IDENTIFIED THE TARGET MISSILE AND GUIDED THE AAD-05 INTERCEPTOR MISSILE CLOSE TO THE TARGET MISSILE AND HIT THE TARGET MISSILE DIRECTLY AND DESTROYED IT. WARHEAD ALSO EXPLODED AND DESTROYED THE TARGET MISSILE INTO PIECES.

RADAR AND EOTS SYSTEMS HAVE TRACKED THE MISSILE AND ALSO RECORDED THE FRAGMENTS OF TARGET MISSILE FALLING INTO THE BAY OF BENGAL. IT IS ONE OF THE FINEST MISSIONS WHERE THE INTERCEPTOR HAS HIT THE INCOMING BALLISTIC MISSILE DIRECTLY AND DESTROYED AT A 15 KMS ALTITUDE. INDIA HAS JOINED A VERY FEW ADVANCED COUNTRIES, WHO HAVE THESE BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENCE CAPABILITIES. INDIA IS THE FIFTH NATION TO HAVE THESE CAPABILITIES IN THE WORLD. THE MISSION WAS CARRIED OUT IN THE FINAL DELIVERABLE USER CONFIGURATION MODE.

SCIENTIFIC ADVISOR TO RAKSHA MANTRI DR. V.K. SARASWAT HAS REVIEWED THE TOTAL CONFIGURATION AND MISSION AND ALSO WITNESSED THE LAUNCH. SHRI AVINASH CHANDER CHIEF CONTROLLER R&D (MSS) AND SHRI P VENUGOPALAN DIRECTOR DRDL CARRIED OUT THE FLIGHT READINESS REVIEW OF BOTH THE TARGET MISSILE AND INTERCEPTOR MISSILE. SHRI DS REDDY, PROGRAMME DIRECTOR AIR DEFENCE SYSTEM ALONGWITH HIS TEAM HAVE CARRIED OUT ALL THE PREPARATIONS FOR THE LAUNCH SUCCESSFULLY. SHRI SP DASH DIRECTOR ITR, DR SK CHAUDHURI DIRECTOR RCI AND SHRI SATISH KUMAR DIRECTOR SPIC AND OTHER TOP DRDO SCIENTISTS WERE PRESENT DURING THE MISSION. THE MISSION WAS ALSO WITNESSED BY THE SENIOR OFFICIALS OF TRI-SERVICES.
RAKSHA MANTRI SHRI AK ANTONY HAS CONGRATULATED ALL THE SCIENTISTS FOR THE SUCCESSFUL DEMONSTRATION OF BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENCE.

Mission Control Centre: The Mission Control Centre for the AAD interceptor trial held on 10th February 2012 was deployed in Master-Slave configuration at DRDO Hyderabad and Wheeler Island, Orissa to ensure high availability with built in fault tolerance at each location.
The Mission Control Centre of the Indian BMD programme is one of the most advanced, automated net-centric Command and Control systems in the world.
The Master MCC located more than a thousand kilometer away at Hyderabad from the Missile test range, received the target data in real time from multiple weapon system radars. The complete Air Situation Picture during the BMD trial was provided to the MCC commander using advanced data fusion and target classification techniques.
After the classification of the target as an enemy Ballistic missile, Mission Control Centre issued engagement orders to the AAD Launch Centre located at Wheeler island in Dhamra.
The complete engagement sequence from target detection to destruction was controlled by Mission Control Centre in net-centric mode of operation. The interceptor missile lifted off from Wheeler island destroying the target at an altitude of 15 km.
The AAD Trial has successfully demonstrated complete functionality in deployment configuration of Mission Control Centre for the Ballistic Missile Defence Programme.
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I am happy to see the new canister arrangement for AAD :)

I hope DRDO get rid of this fatso liquid fueled PAD and introduce a solid fueled version sooner or later with canister arrangement. Time to think about the Shaurya in AD role :cool:

It seems at least four AAD missiles can be put into one launch vehicle for the role.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am happy to see the new canister arrangement for AAD :)

I hope DRDO get rid of this fatso liquid fueled PAD and introduce a solid fueled version sooner or later with canister arrangement. Time to think about the Shaurya in AD role :cool:

It seems at least four AAD missiles can be put into one launch vehicle for the role.
some time hopes are answered

hope this time they have tested from multi launcher, like the one shown on prahaar missile

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
???????????

IS the missile shortened? If yes, by how much? Control fins look different too.
Its top cone has been shortened but missile seems to be lengthy compare to previous one i posted the comparison. Chacko at BR is saying that this will be final version for forces.

H.A.

sorry for arriving a little late to the party celebrating the success of the interceptor missile launch...but i guess this the best way to end the day....on a good note....

PS: I think we should delete that thread about DRDO being a failed organisation.

lupgain

Country flag
Awesome to see AAD's successful test. But how good it is to scatter a missile 15 km up. Now time for exoatmosphere

Nirvana

Awesome to see AAD's successful test. But how good it is to scatter a missile 15 km up. Now time for exoatmosphere
Previous Exoatmospheric test's was successful too , This test was carried out as per User configuration and has made way to Set up and deploy first unit of BMD for our Capital - Delhi :thumb:

lupgain

Country flag
Previous Exoatmospheric test's was successful too , This test was carried out as per User configuration and has made way to Set up and deploy first unit of BMD for our Capital - Delhi :thumb:
Thanks for the reply Nirvana,
I was wondering if that is sufficient distance to negate effect of nuclear payload. I think I heard china has capability of hitting a satellite. I have some extra questions in this regards, I was wondering if you can help me on that

a. What would be the response time for this BMD?
b. Can it adjust its response time with varying high / supersonic speed missiles that would attack us.
:namaste:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Thanks for the reply Nirvana,
I was wondering if that is sufficient distance to negate effect of nuclear payload. I think I heard china has capability of hitting a satellite. I have some extra questions in this regards, I was wondering if you can help me on that

a. What would be the response time for this BMD?
b. Can it adjust its response time with varying high / supersonic speed missiles that would attack us.
:namaste:
Well the Indian BMD programme existed even before 1998, but after that 1998 and kargil our guys went to (Russia, USA and Israel) to get protection for our cities, we found out that their BMD is not suitable for our needs. Therefore we went in for our own BMD, GOI put in lots of money and our best brains went to work on it, due to high priority. Earlier they thought of using Akash missile for the BMD role, but it was found to be insufficient, therefore they went in for new missile (AAD) for Endo. Prithvi missile was used as test bed as we have so so much experience with it, for Exo. atmosphere.

Given the short time period from enemy missile launch and its reaching target at our end, lets say 5-10 minutes, we wanted all the things needed for tracking the enemy missile. Israeli provided the Green Pine radar, Aerostar and AWACs, we also worked on LRTR radar (which has higher range then Green pine). France and Russia has too helped us, as it is not possible to make every nut and bolt in India, due to economies of scale and time it takes to make each part, as it would save time for us.

It was decided to intercept enemy missile with PAD at 100-150 km (now PDV is under development) and AAD at later stage if any missile slip pass PAD/PDV at 30-15 km. Our policy is to (track-Shoot-Shoot) unlike the US and other countries of (Track-Shoot-Track-Shoot). That will give us about 99% chance to take out enemy missile.

Already we have all the things available to track and take out missile of 2000km range.

Therefore response time is very low for our missile defence and all the things are computer control with network centric operations. Yeah it can take care of any missile with range of 2000km shooting at us. If you want more details go through all the pages of this thread. Then i would love to answer your questions.

As per DRDO chief we have all the things available for ASAT, but GOI has decided not to conduct ASAT test now, but dont be surprised if you see A4 take out LEO satellite as it has gone at the hight of 900km in its successful test. :wave:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
News from Pakistan about AAD test.

India says missile shield test a success

India's current longest-range nuclear-capable missile, Agni-IV, can travel 3,500 kilometres. — AP/File photo :laugh:

BHUBANESWAR: India successfully tested on Friday an interceptor defence shield developed to detect and destroy incoming ballistic missiles, a government official said.

Officials from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said an indigenously developed interceptor missile locked on to the targets, two nuclear-capable missiles, and destroyed them in a test in eastern India.
:rofl:
DRDO spokesman Ravi Gupta said radars following the two destroyed missiles detected fragments falling into the Bay of Bengal off the state of Orissa. :rofl:

"India is the fifth nation to have these ballistic missile defence capabilities in the world," Gupta said in a statement. The test was carried out at a missile launch site located 200 kilometres (120 miles) from Orissa state capital of Bhubaneswar.

Nuclear-armed Pakistan, with which India has fought three wars since their independence in 1947, has said New Delhi's missile programme could trigger a new arms race in the region.

A similar test in 2010 by the DRDO was abandoned when radars following a "hostile" missile lost track of it after it blasted off from the launch site.
:crazy:
The system's tracking and fire-control radars were developed by the DRDO jointly with Israel and France. India last month said it would soon test a nuclear-capable missile with a range of over 5,000 kilometres.

India's current longest-range nuclear-capable missile, Agni-IV, can travel 3,500 kilometres.

India says missile shield test a success | World | DAWN.COM

Pakistani they are already feeling the heat :hot:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

looks like MCC is small,,,,,,,,,,,,
Most advanced MCC deployed:

The Mission Control Centre for the AAD Interceptor trial held on Friday was deployed in Master-Slave configuration at DRDO Hyderabad and Wheeler Island, Orissa to ensure high availability with built-in fault tolerance at each location.

The MCC of the Indian BMD programme is one of the most advanced, automated net-centric Command and Control systems in the world, a DRDO press release said.
The master MCC located more than a 1,000 km away at Hyderabad from the missile test range, received the target data in real time from multiple weapon system radars. The complete Air Situation Picture during the BMD trial was provided to the MCC commander using advanced data fusion and target classification techniques.

After the classification of the target as an enemy ballistic missile, the MCC issued engagement orders to the AAD Launch Centre located at Wheeler Island in Dhamra.

The complete engagement sequence from target detection to destruction was controlled by MCC in net-centric mode of operation. The trial successfully demonstrated complete functionality in deployment configuration of MCC.

Most advanced MCC deployed | idrw.org

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles