Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

sayareakd

Country flag
even for a single missile test, all the sub systems has to be tested and re tested in lab and in live tests.
just because we have done three public test does not mean that we have not tested all the sub systems may times.

their is no denying that we require many more test so that 97% accuarcy is assured.

Koji

The US never had any problems testing their ABM system against planned missile trials...the problem came (and still exists) against tests when their ABM system had to shoot down unplanned missile tests.

We shall see how India's system performs when that time comes

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Let's hope that day never comes. BMF is successful or not in the missile attack, but mutual destruction is assured.

Koji

Let's hope that day never comes. BMF is successful or not in the missile attack, but mutual destruction is assured.
Partial destruction is assured, I don't think China and especially India have the # of nukes or yield, and delivery platforms to take each other completely out.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Well we value lives here. So any loss of life here will be considered a lot of destruction.

sayareakd

Country flag
we have strive for 'credible nuclear deterrence' it has credible ahead of deterrence which means that indian planner wanted nuclear deterrence to be so credible that any enemy will have to think 1000 times before thinking of attack.

India never informed US as to what in terms of numbers credible nuclear deterrence means, but it is safe to assume that number means some thing which will survive first strike and India then hit back at its attacker to take out enemy's 80% of its mlitary, 50% of its industry, and 30% of population.

S

SammyCheung

My understanding is that India's BMD is actually the Israeli Arrow-2, integrated with an Indian rocket. The Israelis provide the core components like long range radar, control center and kill vehicle. The reason for this is because back in 2002, the Americans blocked the Israelis from selling Arrow 2 to India.

The Green Pine radar used by the Arrow 2 was sold to India with US approval, and was deployed in India in 2001. In early 2002 American officials sought to stop Israel from selling the Arrow 2 interceptor missile to India, arguing that the sale would violate the Missile Technology Control Regime.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/arrow.htm

If I was Indian I would not be happy with my government's decision to purchase Arrow 2. BMD is a rich countries' game because the same amount of funding can buy you a lot of ballistic missiles of your own.

Also, BMD systems like Arrow 2 are extremely limited in operation. They can be defeated by decoys, which are not difficult to implement for the attacker. They can be saturated by many rockets fired at the same time. The radar often doesn't detect or track properly. The missiles are very limited in range. You can protect maybe your headquarters but you can't protect your troops in the field.

I don't know if Pakistan has decoys on their SRBM.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
No they don't have MIRVs so no decoys either.

sayareakd

Country flag
sammyc you are so wrong..........

also you are not even aware about how BMS works.

next thing which will come from you will be "that AAD is copy of barak missile"

S

SammyCheung

No they don't have MIRVs so no decoys either.
Then it does seriously threaten Pakistan's nuclear counterattack ability. India could deploy this BMD in Delhi and Mumbai and Pakistan would be at a disadvantage.

According to internet sources, Arrow 2 and derivatives are only effective again SRBM. Pakistan is a long way from fielding a capable MRBM.

sayareakd

Country flag
that BMD can take out chines made missile M-9 and m-11 any day.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Also AWACS we be playing a role in the BMD unit along with the BMD radar any mosquito flying across Pakistan should be spotted and also RISAT and TECSAR other Israeli satellites and a few of our own will be watching every move.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
i never heard of an SRBM fitting into a rocket launcher and a nuclear one complete ignorance. Radar would easily distinguish between BM and rockets. we know the Pakistani and Chinese missiles radar signatures.

Tuco

Country flag
If I was Pakistan, I would acquire some 200 km range artillery rockets WS-2

Weishi WS-1, WS-1B, WS-1E, WS-2 Multiple Launch Rocket Systems - SinoDefence.com

By firing these off in salvos, this would overwhelm the BMD. Then stick in a few SRBM that actually carry the nuclear warhead. The artillery rockets basically act as the decoys.
does these "gizmo" fly like a bm,abm is for bm not artillery rockets ie it differentiates the flight path hope you got the idea

sayareakd

Country flag
our bmd is for 2ooo km missile and not for 2oo km rocket. please stick to discussion if you want to start new topic please feel free to do so.

S

SammyCheung

i never heard of an SRBM fitting into a rocket launcher and a nuclear one complete ignorance. Radar would easily distinguish between BM and rockets. we know the Pakistani and Chinese missiles radar signatures.
No... I mean you have several batteries of 200 km artillery rockets and a few SRBM firing at the same time. Artillery rockets cannot carry a nuclear warhead (too heavy). So only the SRBM carry a nuclear warhead.

You CANNOT easily distinguish between rockets and SRBMs. Identifying a target requires a radar to scan it many many times with beams of very narrow wavelengths. It is impossible for a radar to do this from more than 100 km away when there are dozens of rockets all appearing in the sky at once. This is why the use of artillery rockets is a decoy.

does these "gizmo" fly like a bm,abm is for bm not artillery rockets ie it differentiates the flight path hope you got the idea
That gizmo is an artillery rocket. It flies a ballistic path. Maybe not exactly the same as an SRBM but when you have dozens of these firing at the same time, a radar is completely saturated.

our bmd is for 2ooo km missile and not for 2oo km rocket. please stick to discussion if you want to start new topic please feel free to do so.
Pakistan is not thousands of kilometers away! Your BMD is going to have to deal with 200 km SRBM from Pakistan.

Tuco

Country flag
No... I mean you have several batteries of 200 km artillery rockets and a few SRBM firing at the same time. Artillery rockets cannot carry a nuclear warhead (too heavy). So only the SRBM carry a nuclear warhead.

You CANNOT easily distinguish between rockets and SRBMs. Identifying a target requires a radar to scan it many many times with beams of very narrow wavelengths. It is impossible for a radar to do this from more than 100 km away when there are dozens of rockets all appearing in the sky at once. This is why the use of artillery rockets is a decoy.

That gizmo is an artillery rocket. It flies a ballistic path. Maybe not exactly the same as an SRBM but when you have dozens of these firing at the same time, a radar is completely saturated.

Pakistan is not thousands of kilometers away! Your BMD is going to have to deal with 200 km SRBM from Pakistan.
their special kind of radar mate called artillery locating radars do you think they to get saturated

S

SammyCheung

their special kind of radar mate called artillery locating radars do you think they to get saturated
Your Green Pine is going to be a helluva lot better than your artillery locating radars anyway (if that would even work against a 200 km rocket).

Tuco

Country flag
Your Green Pine is going to be a helluva lot better than your artillery locating radars anyway (if that would even work against a 200 km rocket).
swordfish lrtr has a range of greater then 400kms,artillery rockets flight path is different from a bm and is easily distinguishable

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
The US never had any problems testing their ABM system against planned missile trials...the problem came (and still exists) against tests when their ABM system had to shoot down unplanned missile tests.

We shall see how India's system performs when that time comes
All missile "tests" are planned. So sorry to say but could not understand what you mean by unplanned missile tests?

Articles