Indian Automotive Sector

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Our designers suck. Our design teams are nowhere as mature as their counterparts from the west. Our product Engineers are well known for half assed jobs. West and Japanese companies use suspension of all types from ancient torsion bars to latest F1 layout. They seem to have no problem in making great looking cars. Do you know the reason why? They will call a half assed design as a half assed design and reject it like a prostitute with STD. Indians don't do that.
You kidding me bro,The new cars coming from TATA and mahindra look really nice....................Even bajaj has upped its quality since 2012(pulsar ns,rs,dominar)

Krusty

Country flag
You kidding me bro,The new cars coming from TATA and mahindra look really nice....................Even bajaj has upped its quality since 2012(pulsar ns,rs,dominar)
Tata, perhaps the aria and hexa look good. Mahindra? I don't know. All of their cars except the XUV500 look badly proportioned (thar doesn't count its design was never ours to start with). Most importantly, under the hood, zero innovation. Even chinese startups are challenging tesla. Tata and Mahindra have huge industrial base and yet insist on making mundane cars whose technology would be praiseworthy 10-15 years ago. The only place where I could actually observe a substantial jump in quality is with the Bajaj Pulsar series. But even then most of my friends still tell me that the bike is great when it's brand new, but clock 20-30k kilometres absolutely everything feels loose and you wished you had a Honda unicorn or even an FZ. And as for our design teams... come on bro. Which Indian car is on par with the west or Japanese in terms of design? Give me a few examples. Take even the small cheap hatches.Suzuki Swift or the ones from Tata or Mahindra? Which design looks better and well proportioned?

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
Mate, Chinese are not real brain behind those cars. Its the Swedes !
Swedes under Chinese payroll. What's stopping Mahindra and Tata doing the same? Not like they don't have the cash...

@aditya10r I know Tata is putting out decent SUV designs, but if you want to know what 2017 designs look like, check out this Chinese SUV. Can Tata or Mahindras latest compete with this? :scared2: Our desi companies better get their act together real quick.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nio-electric-car-startup-suv-china-tesla-challenge-2017-4

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Swedes under Chinese payroll. What's stopping Mahindra and Tata doing the same? Not like they don't have the cash...

@aditya10r I know Tata is putting out decent SUV designs, but if you want to know what 2017 designs look like, check out this Chinese SUV. Can Tata or Mahindras latest compete with this? :scared2: Our desi companies better get their act together real quick.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nio-electric-car-startup-suv-china-tesla-challenge-2017-4

View attachment 16091
View attachment 16092
Wow, is it just me or are those lines shamelessly copied off a Range Rover? :confused1:

Krusty

Country flag
Wow, is it just me or are those lines shamelessly copied off a Range Rover? :confused1:
Lol kind of... the roof line and the A and C pillars seem to mimic the Range Rover giving the car a RR like silhouette .... though I do think the body is rather original... regardless, this time the Chinese are gunning for the TOP dogs from Europe, US and Japan and we are still sitting on the fence..

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Lol kind of... the roof line and the A and C pillars seem to mimic the Range Rover giving the car a RR like silhouette .... though I do think the body is rather original... regardless, this time the Chinese are gunning for the TOP dogs from Europe, US and Japan and we are still sitting on the fence..
Yuck it is electric :scared2:

Much as we (Indians) like to hate them, they are on top of their game in all fields from military, building construction to cars.

Krusty

Country flag
Much as we (Indians) like to hate them, they are on top of their game in all fields from military, building construction to cars.
First step in solving a problem is to admit we have one. We are fine with the way things are. Laziness in the extreme sense.

Yuck it is electric :scared2:
I'm with you on that. I want one of this.... rev the engine in chennai and SL will sink.....

IMG_3615.JPG

I don't know what happened to all the mad Engineers... one of my all time fav cars was the fiat abarth 1000.. you know why? They fit a huge engine in a tiny car and faced cooling issues. The team found out the opening the hood (boot in this case as its rear engined) when the engine is running helped. So Guess what? They just sold the car with a boot that can't be closed and an exposed engine !
IMG_3619.JPG

Everything is too sane now. I can understand for daily Drivers, but sports cars without a hint of madness is beyond boring

Last edited:

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
First step in solving a problem is to admit we have one. We are fine with the way things are. Laziness in the extreme sense.

I'm with you on that. I want one of this.... rev the engine in chennai and SL will sink.....

View attachment 16093

I don't know what happened to all the mad Engineers... one of my all time fav cars was the fiat abarth 1000.. you know why? They fit a huge engine in a tiny car and faced cooling issues. The team found out the opening the hood (boot in this case as its rear engines) when the engine is running helped. So Guess what? They just sold the car with a boot that can't be closed and an exposed engine !
View attachment 16094

Everything is too sane now. I can understand for daily Drivers, but sports cars without a hint of madness is beyond boring
Agree but dude, you don't even need a car to be a sports car to be fun and so beloved that is passed down in the family from generation to generation. Case in point

VW-BUS-36.jpg

Reactions: Kay

Kshatriya87

Country flag
China’s SAIC to set up car plant in Gujarat
In yet another step towards retaining its position as the country’s auto hub, Gujarat on Wednesday pipped strong contenders Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra to ink a Rs 2,000-crore MoU with Chinese passenger car and commercial vehicle manufacturer SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industries Corporation) for a car manufacturing plant at Halol near Ahmedabad.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
In yet another step towards retaining its position as the country’s auto hub, Gujarat on Wednesday pipped strong contenders Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra to ink a Rs 2,000-crore MoU with Chinese passenger car and commercial vehicle manufacturer SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industries Corporation) for a car manufacturing plant at Halol near Ahmedabad.
Lol assaulting us and at the same time setting up business

airtel

Country flag
this will be another failed Chini project ...........Indians will not spend Lakhs of rupees on a Chini cars ........Even Chinese Motorcycles were badly failed in Indian Market .

Most Indians will Buy Japanese or Indian Cars .............but let them waste their money . :devil::devil::devil:

sorcerer

Country flag
Tesla talks with govt for India drive

Highlights
  • Tesla has evinced interest in entering the market through the single-brand retail window.
  • This comes months after Musk tweeted about the high import duty and sourcing requirements.
  • There is no clarity on how Tesla plans to provide after-sales service and develop infrastructure to charge the vehicles.
NEW DELHI: Elon Musk-founded Tesla, which makes electric cars, has initiated talks with the government to enter India+ through the single-brand retail route, which comes with several riders including mandatory sourcing of up to 30% of the value of goods sold in the country.

The company has written to the government evincing interest in entering the market through the single-brand retail window, sources told TOI. The development comes months after Musk had tweeted about the high import duty and sourcing requirements.

"In discussions with the government of India requesting temporary relief on import penalties/restrictions until a local factory is built," he had tweeted on June 15.

Sources said granting an exemption may not be easy and in any case with duty in excess of 100% the import route did not make sense. The government is expected to formally reply to Tesla over the next few weeks, considering there is interest not just from buyers but even at the level of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who had visited the company's headquarters in 2015 in what was seen as an attempt to get the company to India.
]

The proposal comes amid a push from the government to move to electric vehicle+ s with transport minister Nitin Gadkari recently reading the riot act at a recent conference of the Siam, the auto industry lobby group, where he talked about having only electric cars on Indian roads by 2030. Already, several companies such as Maruti and Ford are planning forays into the segment.

While the plan was to hit the Indian market this summer, Musk had pointed to difficulties in complying with the local sourcing requirement+ , which can be waived for "high-technology goods", due to the absence of a vendor base. The government had responded by suggesting that the local sourcing requirement did not exist for locally manufactured goods.

Although the provision to grant an exemption to "high-technology) goods has existed for nearly two years, none of the applicants, including Apple, have managed to get a waiver so far. In fact, in case of a British company, the government took the view that only 10-15% of the products sold by it fell into that category.

In case of Apple, the government has questioned if some of the products touted as "hightechnology" actually fell into that category. In case of several components, Apple has told the government that they are under development, sources said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...govt-for-india-drive/articleshow/60848916.cms

IndianHawk

Country flag
Tesla talks with govt for India drive

Highlights
  • Tesla has evinced interest in entering the market through the single-brand retail window.
  • This comes months after Musk tweeted about the high import duty and sourcing requirements.
  • There is no clarity on how Tesla plans to provide after-sales service and develop infrastructure to charge the vehicles.
NEW DELHI: Elon Musk-founded Tesla, which makes electric cars, has initiated talks with the government to enter India+ through the single-brand retail route, which comes with several riders including mandatory sourcing of up to 30% of the value of goods sold in the country.

The company has written to the government evincing interest in entering the market through the single-brand retail window, sources told TOI. The development comes months after Musk had tweeted about the high import duty and sourcing requirements.

"In discussions with the government of India requesting temporary relief on import penalties/restrictions until a local factory is built," he had tweeted on June 15.

Sources said granting an exemption may not be easy and in any case with duty in excess of 100% the import route did not make sense. The government is expected to formally reply to Tesla over the next few weeks, considering there is interest not just from buyers but even at the level of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who had visited the company's headquarters in 2015 in what was seen as an attempt to get the company to India.
]

The proposal comes amid a push from the government to move to electric vehicle+ s with transport minister Nitin Gadkari recently reading the riot act at a recent conference of the Siam, the auto industry lobby group, where he talked about having only electric cars on Indian roads by 2030. Already, several companies such as Maruti and Ford are planning forays into the segment.

While the plan was to hit the Indian market this summer, Musk had pointed to difficulties in complying with the local sourcing requirement+ , which can be waived for "high-technology goods", due to the absence of a vendor base. The government had responded by suggesting that the local sourcing requirement did not exist for locally manufactured goods.

Although the provision to grant an exemption to "high-technology) goods has existed for nearly two years, none of the applicants, including Apple, have managed to get a waiver so far. In fact, in case of a British company, the government took the view that only 10-15% of the products sold by it fell into that category.

In case of Apple, the government has questioned if some of the products touted as "hightechnology" actually fell into that category. In case of several components, Apple has told the government that they are under development, sources said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...govt-for-india-drive/articleshow/60848916.cms
No need for any concessions to Tesla. Labour and land cost in India are already a fraction of USA costs. Besides tax on electric vehicle is pretty low under GST compared to diesel and petrol cars . If Tesla can't be competitive despite that it shouldn't come to India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles