Indian Automotive Sector

republic_roi97

Country flag
Korean car maker Kia Motors to pump in Rs 7,000 cr for India ride
To set up a manufacturing unit in Andhra Pradesh with an annual capacity of 300,000 units

Korean small car maker Kia Motors is ready for a ride in the fast-growing Indian car market with an investment of $1.1 billion (about Rs 7,000 crore). It will set up a manufacturing unit in Andhra Pradesh with an annual capacity of 300,000 units. Kia’s parent company Hyundai is the country’s second-biggest car maker with a 17 per cent market share.

Construction of the new manufacturing facility, Kia Motors’ first in India and representing an investment of $1.1 billion will commence in the final quarter of 2017 calendar year. The manufacturing facility is expected to begin production in the second half of 2019, the Seoul-headquartered company said in a statement.

Kia plans to produce a strategic compact sedan and compact SUV especially for the Indian market at the new plant, spread over an area of 563 acres. The site will also be home to numerous supplier companies’ facilities.

“We are delighted to announce that Kia’s newest manufacturing facility will be here in Andhra Pradesh,” said Han-Woo Park, president at Kia Motors. The company today signed a MoU with the state government of Andhra Pradesh for the new unit at Anantapur.

Kia did not opt to set up manufacturing in Tamil Nadu (TN) where Hyundai’s manufacturing plants are located. TN is also home to other leading brands like Ford, Renault-Nissan and BMW.

“The region’s fast-developing supply chain network and skilled labour force were other key reasons for the new investment by Kia Motors,” the company said explaining its decision to opt for Andhra.

Park said the investment will enable Kia to sell cars in the world’s fifth largest market while providing greater flexibility for the company’s global business.

“Worldwide demand for Kia cars is growing and this is our latest step towards becoming a leading global car manufacturer,” he added. Kia sells more than three million vehicles a year at its 14 manufacturing and assembly operations in five countries and has annual revenue of $45 billion.

India, the fifth largest car market in the world, saw domestic sales grow more than nine per cent to three million vehicles in the year ended March 31, 2017.

Another 758,000 vehicles were exported last year when shipments grew more than 16 per cent. The country is expected to emerge as the third biggest market by 2020 with an annual volume of five million units
Let's hope KIA isn't "Killed In Action" by Maruti, LOL.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Kia is topping reliability survey in USA beating luxury brands as well as Toyota.

Maruti need to watch this one out!!
Yeah, but in India Maruti has been branded as the synonym of "car", here people will buy even a rikshaw if its made by maruti suzuki. In smaller cities people don't even compare various cars in a segment they just buy a maruti, on the positive side, maruti has achieved this because of its reliable and rugged cars. Not to mention best in class fuel economy, something that Koreans have failed to deliver. But I seriously have a lot of hopes with KIA.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Kia is topping reliability survey in USA beating luxury brands as well as Toyota.

It will increase the standards of all cars in India because of the competition. Also, investing more than a billion dollars must mean that they are opening manufacturing units here. That means much needed jobs in India.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
The cars must have ABS,ESP,6 airbags ............................................

Krusty

Country flag

India is a cost driven market. Not a quality driven one. High feature/quality cars sold for high price tag will fail. Stripped out Low Budget cars is what will keep these common mans Brand’s alive. Kia isn't a luxury Brand. Toyota (atleast in India) is considered one.

@aditya10r which car are you talking about ? Requiring ABS, ESP and 6airbags?

Kshatriya87

Country flag
India is a cost driven market. Not a quality driven one. High feature/quality cars sold for high price tag will fail. Stripped out Low Budget cars is what will keep these common mans Brand’s alive. Kia isn't a luxury Brand. Toyota (atleast in India) is considered one.

Don't know about others, but my car has these. i20 Elite limited edition.

Krusty

Country flag
@aditya10r @Kshatriya87 I got the trail of messages now :smile:

I think Hyundai motors will shoot itself in its foot by introducing Kia in India. Most of Kias models are based off Hyundais and are in direct competition to each other. And I'm not sure if Kia's brand image alone is enough to lure Maruti faithfuls away from it. Hyundai as it is, offers most if not all of the features that will be offered by Kia. It's just my Guess, but I don't think Kia will eat away sales from Maruti. It will eat away sales from its own parent company Hyundai.

Time will tell. But eitherways, it's good news for India.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Toyota (atleast in India) is considered one.
On the contrary, Toyota isn't considered a luxury brand here in India, it's considered a reliable one, but not luxury, they are not giving us the best of their products, just Etios and Liva with sub par quality of materials and unacceptable NVH with disheartening plastic quality, things have improved with Innova Crysta but with new fortunar with such a hefty price tag and in comparison again disheartening fit and finish with not so great features, Toyota just reassures us that they are not at all serious about India, not as much as in recent years Ford looks to be.

republic_roi97

Country flag

As a matter of fact, maruti is giving safety features like ABS, EBD with two Airbags as standard packages along all it's variants in most o its products. You obviously have choice to select whether you want them for extra $$$ or not, depending upon your usage pattern.

Krusty

Country flag
On the contrary, Toyota isn't considered a luxury brand here in India, it's considered a reliable one, but not luxury, they are not giving us the best of their products, just Etios and Liva with sub par quality of materials and unacceptable NVH with disheartening plastic quality, things have improved with Innova Crysta but with new fortunar with such a hefty price tag and in comparison again disheartening fit and finish with not so great features, Toyota just reassures us that they are not at all serious about India, not as much as in recent years Ford looks to be.
Ok I should have been more specific. By luxury I didn't mean Merc or BMW levels. I meant the upper mid range. There are many tiers aren't there?Between Hyundai and Toyota, which one was considered to be of higher luxury? Hyundai firmly established itself with 'peoples car' image whereas Toyota. (Before it launched the liva and etios) had the corolla which was considered upper midsize. They didn't have anything cheaper than 10L ex showroom on sale. But they ruined it for themselves.

AFAIK Hyundai is the only one which give engine options in India comparable to what it Sells in Europe or US. No other brand does. But yes, I do agree with your view that Etios and liva changed the perception of Toyota. I still remember Toyota Corolla road tests from Indian automotive magazines. And look at Toyota tests now. Sad really.

Krusty

Country flag
As a matter of fact, maruti is giving safety features like ABS, EBD with two Airbags as standard packages along all it's variants in most o its products. You obviously have choice to select whether you want them for extra $$$ or not, depending upon your usage pattern.
Yes. My point is that the average Indian customer will not go for the ones with all the bells and whistles. india is a cost driven market. That's the point I'm trying to make. For example, there was a JV between Tata and Rover wherein rover would modify the indica to EU standards and badge it as a rover and put it on sale. It was Super cheap to buy. That really, really didn't go well. Europeans reject anything that they feel isn't of good quality. On the other hand, how many indicas were sold in India?

captscooby81

Country flag
There is a new trend which is emerging in the market where people have money and they want to stand out of the crowd .. So KIA will attract this bunch eyeballs for sure .. Now lets see VW AG runs two brands Skoda and VW now rapid vs vento Octavia Vs jetta and Superb VS passat if you look under the hood all are the same to the bolt just the badging and the design changes a little .. If you see Vento do more numbers than Rapid and Octavia do more numbers than Jetta and superb outclasses Passat .. Well how hyundai will project KIA is the same way Maruti is doing with NEXA you don t even see the word maruti in NEXA showrooms plus now the New cars have just suzuki in the branding .. Hyundai knows there is small niche group of buyers there who wanted something to be called premium in the below 10-15 lakhs segment too and it will work for them ..

Well when it comes to Maruti its a unbeatable brand only in the below 10 lakhs segment once it cross customers feel they should buy an Honda or Hyundai or Toyoya instead of the maruti . Reasons why Ciaz high sales how not continued for ever and Same was the reason S cross was dead at the launch with the pricing .. Maruti given 1.5 to 1.8 lakhs discount on S cross to get the dying stock on the showrooms .. Honda Dominated to City segment for so long without a diesel engine just because of the positioning of the product in the market little more high value than competition..

Krusty

Country flag
@captscooby81 somehowbi doubt if Hyundai can project Kia like Maruti does nexa. Nexa's model has a clear cut difference in price and quality. I just checked Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optimas price. Both are basically the same cars underneath and cost around 30k$. They had a price difference of less than a thousand $. Quality being more or less the same. So somehow I don't think think Marutis nexa strategy won't work out for Hyundai. Especially when their models are so similar in terms of quality and performance

republic_roi97

Country flag
Reasons why Ciaz high sales how not continued for ever
Ciaz happens to give the best FE in that segment becauseof the Hybrid technology, it give upto 27-28 KMPL for diesel and 18-19 for petrol, however, I do agree that 10+ Lakh segment isn't Maruti dominated.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles