Indian Army BMP 2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle Sarath

JBH22

30mm used by Indian BMP is older and it’s rounds can’t penetrate modern AFVs and ATGMs are also older so they need to install new ATGMs.
The capability building is based on your budget, industrial capacity and most importantly what your adversary can throw to you. For that BMP 2 achieves its role decently

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
Country flag
The capability building is based on your budget, industrial capacity and most importantly what your adversary can throw to you. For that BMP 2 achieves its role decently
I don’t have much faith on the our Current BMP-2s which are not upgraded to modern standards. It might be able to deal with the Pakis which have just M113 copies but against Chinese it’s not going to be great.

BlackViking

Country flag
I don’t have much faith on the our Current BMP-2s which are not upgraded to modern standards. It might be able to deal with the Pakis which have just M113 copies but against Chinese it’s not going to be great.

Instead of FICV this should have been offered by the OFB maggots as an upgrade to the BMPs but the money suckers are portraying this as some future tech.

[email protected]

Country flag

Instead of FICV this should have been offered by the OFB maggots as an upgrade to the BMPs but the money suckers are portraying this as some future tech.
Not possible as an upgrade option. This BMP derivative version has a different chassis design with 7 wheels compared to 6 wheels of original BMP-2.

BlackViking

Country flag
Not possible as an upgrade option. This BMP derivative version has a different chassis design with 7 wheels compared to 6 wheels of original BMP-2.
What I meant was the tech demonstrated here to be offered for BMP UPG.

The other thing is that I don't know why OFB is still so much into BMP based design, they should come up with some new design class.

BTW any idea on the powerplant the OFB offered in this FICV?

[email protected]

Country flag
What I meant was the tech demonstrated here to be offered for BMP UPG.

The other thing is that I don't know why OFB is still so much into BMP based design, they should come up with some new design class.

BTW any idea on the powerplant the OFB offered in this FICV?
BMP based option makes sense from OFB's pespective. First they are already manufacturing BMP-2 since the last 30 years. So existing machines can be modified easily for that puspose. Secondly, from the Army's perspective logistical compatibility with the existing large inventory of BMP-2 is the economical option.

Army has rejected Arjun MBT on the very ground that T-90 presents a logistical compatibilty with the large number of existing T-72s. So this factor plays a major role in Army's decision making, and OFB does not/may not want to repeat the mistake CVRDE did with Arjun.

DRDO is developing a 600 hp engine which will most likely power this FICV.

WolfPack86

Country flag
The DAC on July 2, 2020 approved BMP-2 Armament Upgrade for the IA. The upgrade wasn't listed among indigenously developed weapon systems so it could be the kit based Russian Berezhok upgrade that can be implemented at low cost and in short time.

https://twitter.com/vkthakur/status/1284481598511910913

The recent DAC approval was likely connected with the ongoing crises along the LAC. During DefExpo 2020, OFB exhibited an upgraded BMP-2 that lacked the punch of the Berezhok (below).
https://twitter.com/vkthakur/status/1284481598511910913/photo/1

The upgrade, which requires minimal modifications of the tower, equips the BMP-2 with 3rd gen Kornet-E ATGM, 30-mm automatic grenade launcher (AG) AH-30, automatic target tracking and ballistic computer with the sensor system, and a television Panoramic sight for the commander.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles