Indian Army Aviation Wing

su35

Country flag
WHy army is not using chopper for protecting conveys. in Anti terrorist mission in mountain region

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
WHy army is not using chopper for protecting conveys. in Anti terrorist mission in mountain region
"coz we don't use air-power within our own border as it could result in collateral damage. Though I, like you, feel that gunships should be deployed in Coin ops in certain areas given there is no settlements, like in deeper maoist-controlled area, NE jungles and border areas at J&K. It will be expensive, but worth having saved our men's lives.

blueblood

"coz we don't use air-power within our own border as it could result in collateral damage. Though I, like you, feel that gunships should be deployed in Coin ops in certain areas given there is no settlements, like in deeper maoist-controlled area, NE jungles and border areas at J&K. It will be expensive, but worth having saved our men's lives.
Cheetal is used in the LOC region against intruders since these places for most part do not have any civilian population.

Also not using air power and restricting collateral damage has yielded excellent results and insurgents across India are facing massive depletion in rank and file.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Cheetal is used in the LOC region against intruders since these places for most part do not have any civilian population.

Also not using air power and restricting collateral damage has yielded excellent results and insurgents across India are facing massive depletion in rank and file.
I am all for restriction of collateral damage and loss of civilian lives. However, the depletion of rank has been brought in not only because of refraining from usage of air power, but also because of the development that has started to flow into the regions in last decade and the people has started come into the cities and learnt their rights. Particularly, the Maoists infested areas. Using air power for tactical and precision strikes would not alienate people if such strikes are kept outside civilian areas. Nobody would mind if a camp deep inside jungle gets blown up by choppers or a group of terrorists get strafed. At least the civilians would not, when I am sure some bleeding hearts sitting in AC chambers will have heart-burns.

blueblood

I am all for restriction of collateral damage and loss of civilian lives. However, the depletion of rank has been brought in not only because of refraining from usage of air power, but also because of the development that has started to flow into the regions in last decade and the people has started come into the cities and learnt their rights. Particularly, the Maoists infested areas. Using air power for tactical and precision strikes would not alienate people if such strikes are kept outside civilian areas. Nobody would mind if a camp deep inside jungle gets blown up by choppers or a group of terrorists get strafed. At least the civilians would not, when I am sure some bleeding hearts sitting in AC chambers will have heart-burns.
Mate, WHAM (Winning hearts and minds) has worked very well for India. Can you notice the difference between Indian and Paki way of dealing with insurgency and their results? It is because of WHAM that tragedy in Manipur was the biggest loss to Army in 13 years.

Using heavy handed approach will get us nowhere and by that I don't literally mean heavy handed. Using war machines against insurgents fan the fear of local populace no matter how carefully you use it.

Imagine a column of IFV or tank rolling down the street in front of your (you for example are a common civilian unfamiliar with military affairs) house will make you scared despite the fact they are not there for you. Same goes for using air power even in the remotest places because then enemy propaganda takes over.

Every single civilian casualty from there on will be connected to your Sukhois and your Apaches and the might of Indian armed against you and your family. Propaganda will dictate the "us vs them" scenario, the kind that you can see in Balochistan and FATA and the reason for that APS massacre. Rationale behind killing those kids was that they (Pak) killed ours by bombing our homes.

Therefore, using war machines against insurgents is not a good idea.

su35

Country flag
Can't we use helios for aerial reconnaissance during combat mission. they can fly over the mission area and help ground troops to locate them and destroy them. Another question can Dhruv be equipped with thermal imager

tejas warrior

Country flag
MK3 operate beyond Cheetak / Chetak or cheetan service ceiling with more payload ..
Okay, So why we need Ka226T for example when Dhruv can reach all required service ceiling ? I mean to why can't Dhruv replace Cheetak / Chetak or cheetan ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
KA-226T is for BRO needs, Dhruv falls in ALH category but Army needs Ultra Light category helicopters ..

In future ULH of HAL will meet that demand ..

==================

One can argue with valid reason the need for ULH for just S&R operations, But its upto Army brass to decide ..

Okay, So why we need Ka226T for example when Dhruv can reach all required service ceiling ? I mean to why can't Dhruv replace Cheetak / Chetak or cheetan ?
Yes . why we need Ka 226 or LUH when Dhruv can do all the jobs ?

The enlightened

Yes . why we need Ka 226 or LUH when Dhruv can do all the jobs ?
Same reason we need a LCA when MMRCA or MKI can do all its jobs................Cost efficiency.
One does not send a tanker to refuel your vehicle if it runs dry in the middle of a road. A moped with a simple bottle will do. De-amplify and apply.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles