Indian Army Artillery

sbm

Country flag
An additional photo for you guys - Indian troops with a 6 pdr AT gun. This remained as part of the AT regiments of infantry divisions post independence and some even went to the BSF. If anyone knows when they were phased out I'd like to know myself. There is one other AT gun that you will not find much mention of - the SP 17 pdr Archer (based on the Valentine tank). One regiment - 34 Mahratta - was assigned to the artillery brigade of 1st Armoured Division which included 1 Field (SP) and 2 Field (SP) with Sextons and 26 (SP) LAA regiment - if anyone has any photos of Indian Bofors guns on trucks please share.
4thIndianDiv43.jpg

bhramos

Country flag
An additional photo for you guys - Indian troops with a 6 pdr AT gun. This remained as part of the AT regiments of infantry divisions post independence and some even went to the BSF. If anyone knows when they were phased out I'd like to know myself. There is one other AT gun that you will not find much mention of - the SP 17 pdr Archer (based on the Valentine tank). One regiment - 34 Mahratta - was assigned to the artillery brigade of 1st Armoured Division which included 1 Field (SP) and 2 Field (SP) with Sextons and 26 (SP) LAA regiment - if anyone has any photos of Indian Bofors guns on trucks please share.View attachment 17094
i could only get this
British Chevrolet 30 CWT (India Patern) from LRDG with Breda 20mm italian gun.

sbm

Country flag
Those were used not so much for AA but for enhancing LRDG firepower. I am sure I have a photo somewhere.

Vijyes

Can NAG be used to target artillery?
Helicopter NAG (Heline) has range of 8km while ground based NAG has range of 4km. Artillery has range of 40km. MRBL like Pinaka with range of 65km ca be used to target artillery but the accuracy of these MRBL is not very high despite guidance mechanism as they are merely rockets and not missiles. Guidance only ensures some course correction but not full accuracy. The accuracy of that is about 1% of the target distance. That is, for 50km target, the rockets will fall within a circle with radius of 500 metres (diameter 1km) around the target

Flame Thrower

@Vijyes.....I beg to differ on Pinaka MK2.

You might be mentioning the unguided version...yes there is also a guided version.

Now coming to the accuracy, I remember unguided version has a CEP around 100mts but not 500 mts.

The guided version has 35 to 40 mts CEP. Thus making guided Pinaka a deadly weapon.

Addition to what you've said
A volly of Pinaka MK1 has power to level nearly 4 sq. Km area.

With guided MK2 the devastating power of MK2 increased by many folds(due to lower CEP)

These are used against marching enemy columns bringing them to halt and strike fear. They may not be used against enemy arty.

Counter Arty teams i.e., arty coupled with arty radars take care of these(enemy arty) threats.

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
what i find interesting is the equipment in the background - long range mast mounted LORROS
Long-Range Reconnaissance and Observation System or LORROS is a sensor system developed by Elbit Systems to provide long-range daytime and night-time surveillance. The unit consists of Forward looking infrared (FLIR) and Charge-coupled device (CCD) image sensors. Optional components include eyesafe laser rangefinder, built-in compass and inclinometer, which provide UTM location mapping. The unit can be operated remotely with a control unit for up to 100 meters, which can be extended to several kilometers using fiber link.

The sensor unit comes with a tripod; it can also be mounted on vehicles or installed on towers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-Range_Reconnaissance_and_Observation_System

Last edited:

Vijyes

@Vijyes.....I beg to differ on Pinaka MK2.

You might be mentioning the unguided version...yes there is also a guided version.

Now coming to the accuracy, I remember unguided version has a CEP around 100mts but not 500 mts.

The guided version has 35 to 40 mts CEP. Thus making guided Pinaka a deadly weapon.

Addition to what you've said
A volly of Pinaka MK1 has power to level nearly 4 sq. Km area.

With guided MK2 the devastating power of MK2 increased by many folds(due to lower CEP)

These are used against marching enemy columns bringing them to halt and strike fear. They may not be used against enemy arty.

Counter Arty teams i.e., arty coupled with arty radars take care of these(enemy arty) threats.

There is no fixed cep. CEP changes as distance increases. CEP is the radius of a circle with 50% probability of hit. I am speaking of 95% probability of hit. That is at 20km, 95% of rockets will hit within 1% of the distance from target which is within circle of 200m radius. For unguided one, it is 1.5% of the distance. In terms of area, unguided ones area of hit is 1.5x1.5 = 2.25 times more area than guided ones and hence guided rockets increases accuracy by 60%.

Artillery is used in hundreds and even thousands of numbers and using counter artillery missiles in that number is not very economical. Pinakas are cheap and hence better used against mass artillery deployment that are not hidden behind any mountains and are accessible by the simple rockets. Yes, individual artillery units are not target-able by pinaka.

sbm

Country flag
Does anyone have any information on the artillery used by NCC artillery batteries? Any photos?

sbm

Country flag
Always did - I think I've seen 25 pdrs and 75/24s. They had armoured cars too at one time.

sbm

Country flag
Nice going Kunal. Do we have an idea how many M46 were upgraded to 155mm? I like those of the NCC. I wonder if those guns work?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles