Indian Army Armored Vehicles

sgarg

What are the active IFVs and armoured vehicles in the Army. The internet gives a conflicting picture.

I understand that BMP-1 and BMP-2 IFVs are the mainstay of mechanized regiments. Do army has active wheeled IFVs as well?

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Sir, can't see any image.

You can post any image from any web with the use of this Insert Image.

But you are trying to share an image from your pc. This Insert Image won't work.
Thought as much...thanks casper !!

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Had some pics of us with Russian DP's who came for trials ... cant post from my desktop and pics are nt on the web :(

Zebra

Country flag
Had some pics of us with Russian DP's who came for trials ... cant post from my desktop and pics are nt on the web :(
Sir,

I am not an expert though, but try your pc --> your Facebook page and from your FB page --> DFI.

It might work.

PaliwalWarrior

Sir, in 1970s, TATA did requested Indian govt to give permission for MBT development and permission to make them.

Actually they had MBT technology at that time.

But Congress govt refused it.

And I am posting this second time on DFI now.
can you provide some source ? i know links for 1970 news is too much too ask but still ..............

JBH22

It is surprising that a well oiled propaganda machine being run in Indian news outlet against Russian arms purchases.

In a time when nobody provided India with arms Russia posed itself as a reliable supplier who was ready to give TOT. Now ask uncle Sam to build an aircraft carrier or submarine for India and let's talk.

As regards to tech transfer let's face it India has not emphasise on tech absorption and we cry foul as regards to supposedly Russian backstabbing WTF.

T-90 has been acquired when useless DRDO could not give a decent tank while Pakistan already acquired T-80s. Now what were we supposed to do fight it with Vijayanta tanks or rocks.

Better get over this hype and accept our own mistakes and not play victim.

sgarg

JBH22, Yes we appreciate Russian contribution to India's defence.

The issue is not T-90. The issue is Army having double standards for local and imported products. The "imported products" does not mean only Russian but all foreign products.

We know the problem of government sector unable to fulfill Army's expectations. This is the reason a solution in private sector has to be found.

Import is always sub-optimal due to permanent dependency on a foreign country.

JBH22

JBH22, Yes we appreciate Russian contribution to India's defence.

The issue is not T-90. The issue is Army having double standards for local and imported products. The "imported products" does not mean only Russian but all foreign products.

We know the problem of government sector unable to fulfill Army's expectations. This is the reason a solution in private sector has to be found.

Import is always sub-optimal due to permanent dependency on a foreign country.
It sums up what i said, introspection and not blame others for our own failure

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I see this other-way around, Its time when people are speaking out not just retired but in Service ( Source and link posted already ) ..

I have no sympathy for any Russian or Russian cause over our own, Things you are talking already discussed again and again don`t repeat such discussion again ..

It is surprising that a well oiled propaganda machine being run in Indian news outlet against Russian arms purchases.

In a time when nobody provided India with arms Russia posed itself as a reliable supplier who was ready to give TOT. Now ask uncle Sam to build an aircraft carrier or submarine for India and let's talk.

T-90 has been acquired when useless DRDO could not give a decent tank while Pakistan already acquired T-80s. Now what were we supposed to do fight it with Vijayanta tanks or rocks.

Better get over this hype and accept our own mistakes and not play victim.

Compersion

Country flag
We are telling to the Russians that their stuff needs improvement (its constructive not defeatist and sardonic) - Do they want to have stuff that is worse (PRC is making more exports and noise) and sustainable only because of volume. Also after 1989 when Russia needed help we did not fudge and also we did not use foxy and scheming behavior to destroy and steal the exclusive IPR and sometime joint-exclusive IPR (with USA) they had in that area.

What we are doing with USA also need to be seen before the relationship entered with Russia. That was in 1960s and that is left unfinished and can be accommodated with Russia also participating. But is Russia prepare to do that - we have seen in Ukraine a bit of a clash but India is not economically and structurally connected to Russia like that. But Russian are smart and they know that if a country is super wealthy because of USA and its allies it does not mean they are Pro-Russia (and Pro-USA). Also becoming Super-Wealthy has a proper and dignified way to do that and still continue to buy from Russia which the Russian knows and they are smart to realize what we are trying to say. We dont shout that we are better compared to Russia and ignore their importance.

I am happy the current PM might be able to be more coherent with all the dynamics in play with Vladimir Putin when he has meetings. With all the dynamics Russia has to trust the direction and only with that things can move ahead. Message is simple - we don't back stab but we (Indian and Russia and USA) all want to develop and become better. The Russian knows USA wants to enter into a better relationship with India (and India also wants that) but we are not back-stabbing. If they are uncomfortable it will take time and we wont do anything until its comfortable. But when they are comfortable they know it will be good.

sgarg

This looks like BRDM - a recon vehicle.

I was asking about the BTR series.

sgarg

Their are no BTR or OT-64 operational in Army ..
Thanks. The wiki article on Indian Army Equipment is misleading.
So only BMP-1 and BMP2 are the active IFVs. That is what IA pictures show.

Any idea why BTR-70 and BTR-80 are retired or these never got inducted?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles