Indian Army Armored Vehicles

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
You don't understand. Space avaible after main gun sight is equal to circa 60-65% turret front LOS. And depend on mesurment it has between 350mm LOS (STGN) or 450mm (my mesurment). It's to loow valiue to achie significant protection. It's obvious big gap.
The same huge, anormus gun mantled mask in Arjun -it has only circa 400mm thickness + "wedge" behind it. It's still mucht less then frontal armour. In T-90S whit welded turret you haven't sucht weak place - after gun mantled mask we have constans and quite big LOS -circa 840mm.

Very questionablle. Arjun thickes loss seems to be between 650 or 900mm LOS -based on diffrent mesurment. In T-90A you have circa 840mm.

Those "highjt penetration" will not give mucht without anty ERA abilities. So Israeli, USA, German or Russian how-know is needed.
All those LOS calculations of the guys you quote was mostly proved wrong in our previous discussions. So you are way off the mark in calculating the LOS thickness behind the main sight.

Dejawolf

Re: Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Some of the foreign members think that we Indians dont do our R&D and are not up to date with the research being done by rest of the world. Please understand that we are the one who has develop BMD, ICBM, have capability to launch multiple satellite successfully and we have send payload to moon. Making a tank is not rocket science, it is difficult but not impossible.
the problem is india attempted to redesign the wheel with the Arjun.
Compare to Altay tank program of turkey. turkey's never made a tank before, and yet they developed one in 5 years.
and i'd say it's superior to the arjun, it's got compartmentalized ammunition in the turret bustle, thicker side turret armour, a massively thick roof proofing it against top-attack missiles, and an L55 smoothbore gun capable of firing the latest western 120mm ammunition.

Last edited:

p2prada

I have a question for DRDO:

:yuno: design better tank?
In the Discovery channel documentary, the DRDO bigwigs claim Arjun was designed by amateurs. So don't expect to move mountains with that.

Things with improve over the next 10 - 20 years. We learnt the basics in tank design and construction on Arjun Mk1. We will learn how to develop better electronics through Arjun Mk2 with Israeli help. We can apply all of this with newer technology on FMBT and make it good enough for induction. That's what DRDO's should aim for and are aiming for. Delivering a new generation tank worth inducting and in time. Perhaps with the FMBT, CVRDE will join other biggies around the world.

p2prada

Agreed. But at the time of the project nobody else would have come out to help us. We were an enemy to the West and the Soviet Union did not have a policy of assisting in development programs.

The purpose of DRDO was indigenization. The project goals were too optimistic considering the technical and financial capabilities of the nation.

However when the time comes when India's GDP is bigger than EU's GDP, India's appetite in diplomacy will be equally big. So we will need our industrial capability to be among the best when it is really needed.

Today, with our industry opening up to the West, we can set up JVs instead of reinventing the wheel. Who knows, the FMBT may turn out to be the next best thing since sliced bread.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

That is because when this tank was projected back in 80s, there were no L55 fielded..

Which Arjun you are talking about ?

------------------------------------

I am sure you are aware of this tank history, therefore your comparison with some turk tank which again designed recently and have at least 20 years gap between India`s Arjun first prototype, Shows mearly your trolling behavior..

Compare to Altay tank program of turkey. turkey's never made a tank before, and yet they developed one in 5 years.
and i'd say it's superior to the arjun, it's got compartmentalized ammunition in the turret bustle, thicker side turret armour, a massively thick roof proofing it against top-attack missiles, and an L55 smoothbore gun capable of firing the latest western 120mm ammunition.

sayareakd

Country flag

Slightly off topic.
yeah we lean few things and made our BMD in record time, with the shoe string budget and the non supply of essential parts from US and its allies

p2prada

I doubt the BMD was developed on a shoestring budget. Getting the Israeli radar and French radar alone would have costed upwards of $1 Billion.

sayareakd

Country flag
I doubt the BMD was developed on a shoestring budget. Getting the Israeli radar and French radar alone would have costed upwards of $1 Billion.
compare to what US has spend it is shoe string budget.

Bhadra

Country flag
Compared to an American what does an Indian have for his meals ?

Compared to USA, what is the price at which an Indian scientist gets his bread ?

p2prada

Multiply anything Indian by 2 or 3 times and you will get the cost of making the same thing in the US.

Their head honchos get paid between $1Million to $20Million a year, their senior scientists get paid anywhere between $100000 to $250000 a year. Our head honchos and scientists get paid $17000 a year.

Dejawolf

That is because when this tank was projected back in 80s, there were no L55 fielded..

Which Arjun you are talking about ?

------------------------------------

I am sure you are aware of this tank history, therefore your comparison with some turk tank which again designed recently and have at least 20 years gap between India`s Arjun first prototype, Shows mearly your trolling behavior..
so you agree that the turkish managed to make a better tank than the indians in less than 5 years. fair enough.
how long is the indian FMBT projected to take? i mean, with everything the indians has learnt from the 20 year development run for the arjun, it should be smooth walking from here on out?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

@Dejawolf, I have a advice, Stop trolling ..

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
indian companies lie LEYLAND And TATA manufactures engines which has a capacity to pull up to 37 tons that is
GVW: 37T why cant we use that engine to build a decent APC or IFC can anyone please fill me

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
The design of engine is different , But again if its wheeled then indeed yes it can be used..

indian companies lie LEYLAND And TATA manufactures engines which has a capacity to pull up to 37 tons that is
GVW: 37T why cant we use that engine to build a decent APC or IFC can anyone please fill me

Articles