Indian Army Armored Vehicles

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
1. Stryker is a APC is not a MPV/APC, Nor stryker can survive a 20kg blast under wheel..
That is more the field of VBCI.

2. BMP-2 APC can deflect 30mm AP rounds at frontal Armour even a RPG..
If an RPG-7 hit a BMP-2, it would shred it like a tin can. 12.7mm API makes swiss cheese out of the sides.

3. RCWS can be placed above the roof with a 50cal on most MPVs, BMP2 a APC can deploy 30mm Auto cannon and 30mm AGL with 1 ATGM..
But the optics are so poor, it is no good at night.

4. Not on MPV degin, As the blast push upwards, Any door on sides can be fatal, Though OFB MPVs have roof top doors for quick exist, BMP have same degin as roof top hatches..
The squad can't get out of the hatches. It is for the crew only. Squad exits the back.

A regular APC is different from a MPV, But APC can swim not MPVs..
VBCI is an APC and it can't swim. VBL is an MPV and it can.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Galil and Insas are both derived from the FN FAL (Insas partly from AK47 as well). Hence the similarity.
Sorry for the OT post.
Galil and Insas share most parts of AKM and also FN FAL, But INSAS also share some qualities of HK G3 and FN FNC..

Abt Galil deign:
GALIL RIFLE HISTORY

Basic Stryker maybe not, but new, let's call it "heavy" Stryker probably will be capabale to withstand such IED's.BMP-2 front armor is innefective against 25mm APFSDS (and probably also APDS), and is unabale to protect against RPG's without slat cage or ERA.
I am sure Not 21kg, May be a 10-15kg Explosion, BMP-2 frontal protection is 30mm thick above it the engine is at front, Even RPG`s pg-7 penetrate the frontal Armour cant harm the troopers at far back, 25mm of which cannon or what caliber ?

Not accurate IMHO.
The term RPG is an over-generalization. There are different kinds of RPGs. From the earliest RPG-7 to latest RPG 30 (which has a decoy warhead to counter Active Defense Systems and a tandem shaped charge warhead to defeat ERA).
Also, there are new warheads available for the primitive RPG-7 launchers. It is said that an RPG-7 can penetrate Abrams armor in its weak spot. So the argument of BMP-2 sustaining and absorbing direct hit from RPG-7 is difficult to believe.

‘Something’ felled an M1A1 Abrams tank in Iraq – but what? [Archive] - Military Photos
That depends what type of RPG-7 warhead:

What i meant RPG-7 warhead mostly PG-7 ( ANTI-TANK ) at frontal Armour..

RPG-7 were used against Abrams without ERA, But unable to breech side or Frontal Armour, Just cosmetic damage..

VBCI is an APC and it can't swim. VBL is an MPV and it can.

No V-shape Hull..

^^ V

Last edited:

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
That depends what type of RPG-7 warhead:

What i meant RPG-7 warhead mostly PG-7 ( ANTI-TANK ) at frontal Armour..
The BMP-2 cannot remain operational after a direct hit from a RPG-7 war-head, even a OG-7V Fragmentation warhead.

Kunal Biswas said:
Even RPG`s pg-7 penetrate the frontal Armour cant harm the troopers at far back.
Once you have penetration, the heat and the ricochets from main armament and spalling of hull inside the vehicle will likely to be fatal for any personnel inside.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The BMP-2 cannot remain operational after a direct hit from a RPG-7 war-head, even a OG-7V Fragmentation warhead.

Once you have penetration, the heat and the ricochets from main armament and spalling of hull inside the vehicle will likely to be fatal for any personnel inside.
That depends where it got hit, OG-7V is simply a 40mm granade, It not a serious thread except hitting the fuel tanks and suspension..

Once its penetrated the frontal Armour it have to rip off the engine and than breach the engine compartment to crew compartment..

Tandam is what needed in these places..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Than we can use this as our main 4X4.
I was alsothinking about electric powered vehicles. What do you feel about these two things ????
Difficult as this vehicle made for only CT ops, Cannot mount MGS, Mortar and other stuff..

Army is working on Bio Fuel, Electric engines are not so powerful to keep up with modern Multi-fuel engines..

SPIEZ

Country flag
Difficult as this vehicle made for only CT ops, Cannot mount MGS, Mortar and other stuff..

Army is working on Bio Fuel, Electric engines are not so powerful to keep up with modern Multi-fuel engines..
Not so true there are modern SRM and hysteresis motors. Also the two front tyres can operate on 1 motor, while the two back tyres can operate on another motor. although I suspect they batteries will be a problem with their LIFE span

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I am not sure that is true anymore - check out the new electric cars coming out in the USA - like the Tesla or the Nissan leaf. The motors are powerful enough to drive a truck and can take the truck as fas as 150 miles (225 km) on a single charge.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am not sure that is true anymore - check out the new electric cars coming out in the USA - like the Tesla or the Nissan leaf. The motors are powerful enough to drive a truck and can take the truck as fas as 150 miles (225 km) on a single charge.
That is a civilian product, If any Electric Military combat vehicle of 4x4 operational in any army, i can agree..

Until then, Multi-fuel engines rules the Military machines..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I agree - India should be the first one to start electric-powered military vehicles. This would be good in multiple ways -

1. Electric vehicles (EV) are quiet and engine-vibration free - they can be really "stealthy"
2. EV can also accelerate MUCH faster. The best petrol engines can do 0-100 km in 5.5 secs, while the electric vehicles can do 0-100 in 2.8 secs!! That's twice as fast - imageine the reaction time boost for an armored vehicle or a ICV.
3. EV are pollution free - meaning no smoke for enemy detection.
4. EV also do not generate much heat, so enemy detection by IRST is improbable

SPIEZ

Country flag
Wait i ll search for some suitable motors....

Damian

You mean a hybrid (Diesel Electric) engines not fully Electric, but Hybrid engines are not new technology, BAe Systems allready developed such engine for AFV's (still US.Army see this as unmature, so they will stick with Diesels for a while). While fully electric vehicle may be usefull for peace time as a service and logistic vehicle in military bases etc.

SPIEZ

Country flag
No we are talkin about pure electric, especially to reduce the use of diesel. Maybe not for AFV, but it can be used in trucks for carrying personal and goods. It will also reduce pollution. This I resume because trucks are used more here.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
South Africa developed wheeled vehicles with V-shaped hulls filled with water as a defense against mines. Anything similar in IA inventory?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles