Indian Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AF-SOD)

gbarik5

Country flag

All the veterans of parachute regiment want the airborne infantry to be special forces!! Ridiculous!!

Vishalreddy3

Country flag

All the veterans of parachute regiment want the airborne infantry to be special forces!! Ridiculous!!
Illiterate cunts, now imagine why our armed forces, in particular our special forces are in this condition!!

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

At the end army will seperate the SF

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

What's the problem with airborne veterans why they don't want their separate identity even many veterans here @Bhadra @Hellfire are against this.

gbarik5

Country flag
What's the problem with airborne veterans why they don't want their separate identity even many veterans here @Bhadra @Hellfire are against this.
Just read their comments!! This is unbelievably true. One of them asked to put the entire parachute regiment in Special Force Command. I think if the SF battalions are craved out, the prestige and honor they share will be gone too. It's what that worries them. I didn't find any logical argument there.

SGOperative

Country flag
Let me know if Garuds have diverse role !! I found Nepal SF are better organized.
Garuds primary role is air field seizure, calling in air strikes, recovering pilots, SEAD Missions, Were recently deployed on LAC with Igla's. Working as ATC in combat zones. During peacetime its guarding some assets. They have a important place.

gbarik5

Country flag
Garuds primary role is air field seizure, calling in air strikes, recovering pilots, SEAD Missions, Were recently deployed on LAC with Igla's. Working as ATC in combat zones. During peacetime its guarding some assets. They have a important place.
Das ist Gut.Great to know that. Well as an Air Force SF they must be unique in their respective responsibilities . Also Before setting up AFSOD it was necessary to create Army SF regiment. That's what I believe. Lord Harambe knows what is inside the decision makers mind. I hope they don't just screw it up

Jedi Operator

Country flag
My 2 cents. SOD is a unit not a command.

US SOCOM has Army SOC, AF SOC, Marine corp SOC and Navy Department of Special warfare answering to it. ( SOC is special operations command)

So each arm of the military has their own command that roles up into a single SOCOM.

AFSOD is more akin to JSOC. But that's pretty much any and every conversation shojld end on it.

JSOC is a CT 'black' command that answers to the NSA directly. That's why it has a tier 1 status.

AFSOD is a hodgepodge of putting men from different arms together and asking them to figure out how to play nice.

There is no selection for AFSOD. Its tasking is a major overlap with normal army sf.

Lastly took over 3 decades for the Americans to officially acknowledge the existence of JSOC.

We held press conferences and publicized joint ex. That alone negates any tier 1 capability aspirations
Everything said here is true, as even confirmed by an ex MARCO I asked

thefewthefearless

Country flag
I beleive our SF re-organization and future use should follow the Israeli model or the Russian model, rather than US SOCOM model. The budget of USSOCOM for FY 2021 is 16.6 billion dollars. Now this figure is just in the public domain and does not include the Black budget.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RS21048.pdf

Not only does it include dedicate manpower, but also dedictaed air and ground assests, which are separate from conventional military commands.

Coming back to India, we should compare ourselfs with those countries which have similar defence budget as ours ( 71 billion USD in 2020-21). This includes Russia, France, Germany, UK, Japan South Korea etc. (in decreasing order). Special mention is Israel.
Among them, our target should be attaining similar capabilities as Russia and Israel. These countries conduct very high profile and successfull special operations missions, despite their limited funding. The other countries which I mentioned operate under the US led NATO umbrella.
hell no. american model is tried and tested. isrealis have literally no combat experience when compared to america, and russian (well........)

Global Defence

Articles