India Russia Relations

Tarun Kumar

Lol WW3 is inevitable Sir. the way things are moving we will have an Indo Pak war most likely in next 10 years which will trigger a WW3. And as for US, no country in the world can destroy another country with nukes except Russia. Russia has a monstrous nuclear arsenal several times bigger than all other countries combines. Dont go by these estimates. And Russia right now has only one enemy -USA. Even if Russia uses 10% of its arsenal, US will be destroyed. And US arsenal cannot destroy Russia due to its enormous geographical spread or China due to their population (although China will loose half its population in US nuclear attack)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
LOL , not really ....................just wait & watch , picture abhi baki hai ..................
everything is unpredictable .

i dont want to end India-Russia relationship , according to me Russians are Much more civilized (as compare to Americans ) .

India will be Involved in WW3 so I dont want WW3 .

if USA is destroyed after WW3 then half of the countries of this planet will also be destroyed .
India's current drift towards USA is highly China centric and is temporary. Left till India is able to emerge itself as a powerful, around one or two decades.
Lol WW3 is inevitable Sir. the way things are moving we will have an Indo Pak war most likely in next 10 years which will trigger a WW3. And as for US, no country in the world can destroy another country with nukes except Russia. Russia has a monstrous nuclear arsenal several times bigger than all other countries combines. Dont go by these estimates. And Russia right now has only one enemy -USA. Even if Russia uses 10% of its arsenal, US will be destroyed. And US arsenal cannot destroy Russia due to its enormous geographical spread or China due to their population (although China will loose half its population in US nuclear attack)
You are acting like Indian Media. LOL:biggrin2:

Well, for war part, every year passing, an Indo Pak war becomes more unlikely as gap between us is expanding.

10 years? Gap will be double of today with 15-20 times economy and so military expenditure and technical edge.

Tarun Kumar

That is the error of your judgement. You are thinking linearly not laterally. In the next 10-15 years ISI/Jehadi combine can do a lot of things which may force us to go to war

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
That is the error of your judgement. You are thinking linearly not laterally.
Who is thinking linearly? Me or you? You are just giving a linear reason of jihad to go India for a "world war" and I can give you hundred more reasons why it won't happen.

FYI, rather than India media documentaries, I read actual strategic journals as well as research about economies.

Plus unlike you, I have been on a number of British, American, Chinese, Russian, Iranian and Pakistani defence forums. Probably I know them way better than you.

You give one reason that India must wage a war, I will give 100 reasons that why India won't. You give one reason why Russia or China wage a war, I can prove that just both are doing drama to show some teeth mere.
In the next 10-15 years ISI/Jehadi combine can do a lot of things which may force us to go to war
This is what I said before:
Well, for war part, every year passing, an Indo Pak war becomes more unlikely as gap between us is expanding.
10 years? Gap will be double of today with 15-20 times economy and so military expenditure and technical edge.
India of 2016 is a far far more powerful entity than India of 2006 and will be far far more powerful entity than India of 2016 in 2026.
Every year passing, India gets more sources to put pressure, diplomatic pressure and a threatening military, every year passing ISI/Pak becomes will find it more difficult.
Further, a country undergoing its economic revolution like India will try to avoid war for many decades.

You do wanna bet with me that a war will occur in next 15 years or not?
I'm convinced that I'll win.

Sourav Kumar

"You do wanna bet with me that a war will occur in next 15 years or not?
" - IndxTechStyle

Spiritual Science Research foundation has already betted against you. They have predicted the WW3 between 2016-2023 with a ~10% variation in time line for the range of 2000-2025.

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/spiritual-research/global-issues/world-war-3-predictions/

The thing about SSRF is that they have claimed this neither based on strategic research nor on economy. So it is difficult to argue with them. :biggrin2:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
"You do wanna bet with me that a war will occur in next 15 years or not?
" - IndxTechStyle

Spiritual Science Research foundation has already betted against you. They have predicted the WW3 between 2016-2023 with a ~10% variation in time line for the range of 2000-2025.

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/spiritual-research/global-issues/world-war-3-predictions/

The thing about SSRF is that they have claimed this neither based on strategic research nor on economy. So it is difficult to argue with them. :biggrin2:
Spiritual science and spiritual war!
My @$$.
Sure, 2010, 2012, 2016 how many timelines will get expired.

Sourav Kumar

Spiritual science and spiritual war!
My @$$.
Sure, 2010, 2012, 2016 how many timelines will get expired.
That is what I am looking at too. It is a matter of 10 more years to verify this claim! I have never seen any other website giving so much details on the WW3 prediction. Wonder how a website would get so much confidence to publish their prediction with so much details.

In any case, SSRF has betted against you and result is not yet known. The bet is On!

Cutting Edge

Very interesting read from IDN.

IDN TAKE: BUDDING RUSSIA, PAKISTAN CHINA NEXUS; BEWARE INDIA

by Brigadier Arun Bajpai (Retd)

The English statesman Lord Palmerston has rightly prophesied a long time back that nations have no permanent friends or allies they have only permanent national interests. This implies international that diplomacy is a dynamic affair. Nations evaluate and reevaluate their preferences in an international arena and then strategise what is best for them at that time and place. There is no romanticism in diplomacy it has to be pragmatic and cold-blooded. Russia which has been our closest friend and ally for decades. It was Indo-Soviet peace treaty which desisted US Seventh Fleet from saving Pakistan from a horrendous defeat in the hands of Indian army in 1971. However, the same Russia is now hobnobbing with India’s two known enemies namely China and Pakistan.

On 27 Dec 16, Russia, Pakistan and China are having a peace talk in Islamabad in which they may declare a major role for Taliban in the future government of Afghanistan that will be music to Pakistani ears but against ours and current Afghan governments interest..It is common knowledge that Pakistan has been sheltering the Mullah Omar's Taliban since 2001 as also the Haqqani network both operating in Afghanistan from their sanctuaries located in Pakistan, doing their jihad against the Afghan government forces and the American troops assisting them.
They are responsible for killing a number of American and NATO troops operating in Afghanistan. Mullah Omar, the spiritual head of Taliban had died two years back but Pakistani Int agency ISI kept this fact hidden lest there starts a turf war within Taliban. It worth remembering that Afghan Taliban is the creation of Pakistani Army from those Pushtuns of Afghanistan who took shelter in Pakistan during soviet occupation of Afghanistan. After the departure of Soviets from Afghanistan-Pakistani Army helped Taliban capture power in Afghanistan where they ruled for three years. They gave shelter to Osama Bin Laden only when Osama did 9/11 in America that the US attacked Afghanistan and threw out the Taliban. Pakistan quietly accommodated them in Quetta to be reinstated at a later opportune date. Now Pakistan wants Taliban as part of the ruling dispensation in Afghanistan, it knows that Taliban will be its Trojan horse. Sooner than later it will again rule the whole of Afghanistan something that will be against India s interest.

Pakistan made a considered decision to go closer to Russia after it was caught red-handed by Americans giving shelter to Osama Bin Laden in its military town of Abbot bad in 2011. Americans launched a raid and killed Osama Bin Laden. Initially, Russia did not show any inclination to come closer to Pakistan due to Indian factor. However now with India coming closer to the US looks like Russia has changed its stance. In Sep this year it did a joint military ex with the Pakistani army. It has sold four MI-17 helicopters to Pakistan.

What should be worrying India is that Pakistan is more or less a colony of China now? Russia till date had close relations with China but kept a respectable distance from Pakistan. Looks like this equation is changing now. Russia is also showing interest in joining China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

India has a major stake in Afghanistan it must not allow Taliban to walk in. Towards this end, it must convince the US of having no truck with Taliban as also Haqqani network. At the same time in conjunction with Iran and Afghanistan, India must revive Northern Alliance of yesteryear composed of Tajik, Uzbek and Hazara tribes of Afghanistan which form 48% of its population in the north Afghanistan. Then at least India will have a base from where the demand of division of Afghanistan can be raised.

Then table will turn on Pakistan because if the demand of greater Pakhtoonistan gets revived then not only Afghanistan but Pakistan will also shed a large part of its area where Pakhtooni people reside.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/12/idn-take-budding-russia-pakistan-china.html

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Wonder how a website would get so much confidence to publish their prediction with so much details.
Like pakis give for ghazwa e hind.
Check this out!:D
Naimatullah Shah Wali Who was a renowned Wali some 900 years ago and he predicted about the future of the world by his poems in persian.

Unlike some other predictions, all the predictions he did through his poems have been exact. For example whatever he said about Mughals, World war etc etc, exactly the same happened.

For Pakistan he already predicted that a muslim country will first have a fight in 1965 it will go on for 17 days and at the end of the day Pakistan will be in a better position than

a leader of a non muslim country will go to a communist country to sign a peace agreement with the muslim country ( talking about shastri who signed agreement in tashkent). Than in 1971, East muslim country will be the main battlefield and lots of muslims will die and it will be separated.

So for us people this is past. SO lets come to the present and future. According to him Chitral gilgit
tibet and china will become the batlefield. And North East country ( most likely china) will provide arms
and ammunition in the month of moharram to the muslim west subcontinent ( pakistan ) and a war will start with a Hindu country ( sorry my indian friends this

is not what i m saying but this is exactly whats written in his poem ) which will go on for 6 months and after six months Muslims will win with the help of Arabia. Iran and turkey.

UP state of india will also become part of Pakistan and Muslims will be again ruling in the whole India. May be whatever he said is not true but whatever he said so far have been true

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
See one thing is clear.

Russia, India , China Pakistan are connected through land routes US is not. They are our direct or indirect neighbours.

If Russia Pakistan and China joins hand to dismantle US then India should remain out. I have no interest to be called as Germany of WW2. Surrounded by every enemy and fighting alone.

Already due to our Bakchodi our neighbours don't like us.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Already due to our Bakchodi our neighbours don't like us.
Wea are surrounded by 2 islamic countries and isalm hates hindoooooooooooooooooooooooooss
so you cant do anything about them
we can get nepal,bhutan,sl and myanmar on our side.................

Cutting Edge

Pak-Russia-China Get Closer. What That Means For India

Just when it seemed new, possible alignments were emerging on the international stage towards the end of 2016, possibly to distract from India's renewed obsession with domestic matters such as demonetisation, US president-elect Donald Trump has spun the wheel in a different direction, calling up old enemies to possibly assist with challenging new ones.

25 years since the US actively promoted the break-up of the Soviet Union, Trump has taken a much softer line towards Russian president Vladimir Putin. The Indian foreign policy establishment is watching carefully, wondering whether this means that it will no longer need to choose between its historic strategic partner, Moscow, and its alliance of recent vintage with the Americans.

Fact is, as India spends ten times more money on buying US weapons than Russian equipment, while bilateral trade between Delhi and Washington reaches 15 times trade levels between Delhi and Moscow, the gaps in understanding between India and Russia have only grown wider.

In the last week of September, 70 Russian and 130 Pakistani troops took part in first-ever joint exercises which were inaugurated at the Pakistani special forces academy in Cherat, 34 km south-east of Peshawar, at 4,500 feet in the Khattak mountain range.

This is how "Russia Today" described the event:

"Carrying equipment weighing around 15kg, representatives from (Russia's Southern Military District's mountain infantry brigade based in Karachay-Cherkessiya demonstrated how to make a safety mechanism using a station knot.

Their Pakistani colleagues returned the favor, showing them another safety mechanism using a special rope with three knots."

Delhi wasn't amused. Still, it isn't clear why the Indian Foreign Office wasn't able to see such a move coming. It's not as if Russia and Pakistan, Cold War rivals since the late 1980s when Pakistan did everything in its ability to help the US defeat the mighty Red army in Afghanistan, woke up one summer morning and decided they would climb the mountains at Khattak together.

The Russians have since downplayed the incident, just as the Pakistanis have played it up. In fact, Russian officials, off-the-record, even deny that Putin's special envoy on Afghanistan Zamir Kabulov told reporters at the recent "Heart of Asia" conference in Amritsar that India should not be "jealous" of the incipient Russia-Pakistani friendship in the making.

But Moscow hasn't stopped wooing Pakistan - some say, under Chinese pressure. It has offered to refurbish a 1960s vintage steel plant, as well as build a pipeline from Karachi to Lahore. A few helicopters have been offered for sale, even as unconfirmed reports suggest that the two sides have begun their first intelligence-sharing exchanges on the region.

Meanwhile, the wheel was spinning differently elsewhere. As the outgoing Obama administration targeted Putin for interfering in the US election and sought to paint him as an international monster for opposing the US intervention against Syria's Bashar-al-Assad, Russia began to scout around for friends and supporters. It found China, ever-willing to do both business and strategy.

Interestingly, as Putin looked towards India, he found both former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as well as Prime Minister Narendra Modi to be far more interested in engaging with the Americans. In fact, it was rumoured that Modi didn't even want to go to Moscow for his first summit meeting with Putin in late 2014 and wants to send a senior official instead. Better sense prevailed.

China's strategic embrace of Pakistan has been in the offing for several years. But it was the US which paid Pakistan $18 billion in the 15 years since the September 11 incidents as its contribution to the war against terror - only to find Pakistan double-crossing it on a variety of fronts in Afghanistan. As China waited in the wings, Rawalpindi seemed only too happy to dump the US in favour of a closer cinch with China.

The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) has now become the linchpin of that friendship, with Beijing's alleged promise to spend $46 billion on the creation of new infrastructure from the Karakoram highway in Gilgit-Baltistan to the port of Gwadar in Balochistan.

Russia's interest in Pakistan is not new. Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto almost went to Moscow in the 1990s but it seems that Indian diplomats like Ronen Senand Sati Lambah persuaded Moscow to postpone a friendship with Rawalpindi. Until June 2015, when Pakistan army chief Raheel Sharif became the first army chief in decades to visit Moscow. His spokesman, Gen. Asim Bajwa, tweeted:

"Wreath laying at tomb of unknown soldier. Heart-warming to see Russian band play Pakistan anthem perfectly."

Meanwhile, Zamir Kabulov, who had recently completed a posting in Kabul as Russia's ambassador - where he saw the enormous power that Pakistan's intelligence agency and army wielded in Afghanistan - was beginning to exercise power in the Russian establishment.

"Kabulov believed that while Pakistan was part of the problem in the ongoing conflict that prevented the stabilization of Afghanistan, it was also part of the solution because of its over-sized influence in that country," said Nandan Unnikrishnan, Senior Fellow at the Observer Research Foundation.

As the Central Asia states which abut Afghanistan began to weaken as a result of their ageing but increasingly dictatorial leaderships, Kabulov was able to sell the line that Afghan militancy and drugs could become a big threat not only to Central Asia but to Russia's own soft underbelly.

An Indian official who has been closely associated with Afghanistan policy over several decades, said on the condition of anonymity, "Soon after the September 11 incidents and the expulsion of the Taliban from Afghanistan, the Western world believed that Pakistan had the key to the region. So much so that the US forbade India from entering into any security-related partnerships with Afghanistan, as it believed that was the prerogative of Pakistan.

Today, 15 years later, many things have changed. India is in a much stronger place in Afghanistan. The US is now the disillusioned party and hopes India will lift its game to help out in that country. And Pakistan has replaced the US, its key mentor and funder, with China as its main strategic partner in the region.

The chips are falling in entirely unforeseen ways. Russia, China and Pakistan could be coming together in a loose association of sorts, while India and the US hang together on the other side.

Except, with Donald Trump as the new US president, things could change again. Reading the tea-leaves in these interesting times, as the Chinese would say, is fraught with risk. Nevertheless, if Trump reaches out to Putin as he has promised to do - and as his presumptive Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is expected to do, with his own decades of experience of drilling for oil in Russia, he could succeed in extracting him from Xi Jinping's jaws.

For India, that would be the best news - Modi riding off into the sunset with Trump and Putin together - even if it is still in the realm of fiction.

The way 2016 has turned out, however, nothing is implausible. Perhaps real life will have a shot at imitating fiction next year.

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/indias-concern-pak-scores-with-russia-and-china-1641455

SANITY

Russian automated control systems to arrive in Kudankulam from 2018
The agreement said that the equipment supply for Kudankulam units 3 and 4 would begin in 2018 and 2019, respectively. After that the installation and setup would begin.

At present, the implementation of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project involves the construction of six power units equipped with VVER-1000 reactors.

The automated control systems for two nuclear power plants in Tamil Nadu’s Kudankulam will start arriving to India from Russia 2018 onwards, the Russian State Nuclear Corporation (Rosatom) said. Automated control systems are key components needed to ensure the safe operation of the nuclear power plant. They include a range of special tools for safety and regular operation mode maintenance.

These systems for the 1,000 MW units – 3 and 4 would be manufactured by a Rosatom affiliate — Automated Control Systems. According to a statement by the Russian company an agreement to supply automated control systems was signed between Rosatom-Automated Control Systems and Atomstroyexport — the latter responsible for nuclear power plant construction.

The agreement said that the equipment supply for Kudankulam units 3 and 4 would begin in 2018 and 2019, respectively. After that the installation and setup would begin. “All the software and hardware tools are to be manufactured at Russian factories. That’s the distinguishing aspect of the contract. The project is a vivid example of localisation of innovative production,” Andrey Butko, CEO of Russian-Automated Control Systems said.

India’s nuclear power plant operator, Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is setting up 1,000 MW units at Kudankulam in Tirunelvelli district, around 650 km from here.

The company has completed two units and construction activities for the third and fourth units have started.

The general agreement for the construction of Units 3 and 4 was signed with Rosatom, in 2014. At present, the implementation of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) involves the construction of six power units equipped with VVER-1000 reactors.

The road map for cooperation between Russia and India in the sphere of nuclear power provides for the construction of a total of 12 power units in different locations in India, including the site of the KNPP.

Cutting Edge

The Geopolitics of India and Russia’s Disparate Interests
How much do Indian and Russian interests converge in the 21st century?

December 28, 2016

Throughout the past few decades, India and Russia have maintained extraordinarily close relations. During the Cold War, India, though not formally allied with the Soviet Union, leaned toward it. The Soviet Union proved vital to India because it was able to provide superpower cover for its development as an independent nation, especially during bouts of tension with China or the United States, both of which were friendly toward Pakistan.

This has led to the view by many in foreign policy circles in India that India and Russia share a sort of special relationship, one which transcends temporary interests. As India’s president, Pranab Mukherjee said in 2015:

Our relationship stands apart. Russia is and will be a dependable partner in defense matters and energy security despite the relationships with other countries developed by Russia or developed by India….[the] India-Russia relationship is one of deep friendship and mutual confidence that would not be affected by transient political trends….Russia has been a pillar of strength at difficult moments in India’s history. India will always reciprocate this support. Russia is and will remain our most important defense partner and a key partner for our energy security, both on nuclear energy and hydrocarbons.

However, in recent years, both international conditions and India’s views on foreign affairs have changed. To paraphrase a famous dictum, nations do not have permanent friends and enemies — only permanent interests. Therefore, it should come as no surprise to realists in India that India and Russia are growing apart. Indian security interests throughout Asia and the Middle East are not necessarily shared by Russia, though not due to any deliberate maneuvering against India on the part of Russia.

In particular, two recent incidents highlight this. First, Russia — together with Iran, another country close to India — has been engaging the Taliban politically. The engagement was presented by the Russian side as an attempt to fight a common enemy in the form of the Islamic State, which is also active in Afghanistan. Nonetheless, the Russian outreach to the Taliban may also be an attempt at building influence in the country with a faction clearly not aligned with Western interests. This could pay off with economic and political benefits down the road. India on the other hand, has not opened up talks with the Taliban, who have a record of hostility toward India and close ties with Pakistan. On December 15, the Indian foreign ministry issued a cautionary statement regarding Russian overtures toward the Taliban: “We do not see any downward trend in our bilateral relationship… but it is clear that India has been disturbed by recent events.”

Secondly, and perhaps more disturbing to India, was a recent Russian decision to strongly support the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which links western China with the Pakistani port of Gwadar. Additionally, Russia “also announced its intention to link its own Eurasian Economic Union project with CPEC.” This decision comes after Russia denied interest in the project. Earlier this year, Russia also upset India vis-a-vis Pakistan by holding military exercises with Pakistan soon after the Uri terrorist attacks in India, which damaged relations between the two South Asian powers.

It is clear that Russia is feeling out Pakistan, as part of its efforts to enhance its influence throughout Asia, and Pakistan could be of particular importance to Russia because of its links with the Arab world and Central Asia, as well as its possession of ports on the Indian Ocean. These developments are not aimed at disrupting relations with India, and stem from a different set of priorities, but could nonetheless rattle India. For now, the main Russian game in Asia is to work with China and Iran to create a multi-polar space therein.

Russia will continue to pursue its own perceived national interests, as it always has. Russia is primarily focused on establishing a sphere of influence throughout the former Soviet Union, and further afield, when possible, in Europe, East Asia, and the Middle East, as evidenced by its intervention in Syria. Russian President Vladimir Putin has stated that his goal is to prevent “attempts to create a unipolar world,” an obvious reference to the United States and states closely aligned with America.

Viewed through the lens of history, India and Russia have often been at odds geopolitically, because their particular locations point them toward different priorities: land versus sea, the extraction of natural resources in inhospitable locations versus trading in the center of the world’s busiest ocean. The close relationship between India and the Soviet Union during the Cold War was often a matter of convenience and ideology; the Great Game, where a power based in North Asia (the Russian Empire) and a power based in South Asia (the British Raj) had different ideas for what happened in the territory between them is a more accurate reflection of the inherent geopolitical tendencies of Russia and India. India will continue to grow closer to the more commercial, mercantile littoral states of Asia, such as Japan and the Gulf Arab kingdoms, and their ally, the United States, all of which have lukewarm relations with Russia. On the other hand, the larger land powers of Asia, such as China, Russia, Iran, and perhaps even Pakistan will find more common ground.

Russia and India are unlikely to formally break and will continue to cooperate on many issues. They will remain partners on weapons development and energy issues. Nonetheless, a geopolitical drift is increasingly likely in the coming decades, as the two countries have disparate interests. It is particularly important for Indian policymakers, who are often given toward sentimentality, to understand this and adapt to the changing circumstances without harboring resentment toward Russia. Nevertheless, there is scope for future cooperation with Russia, since it is only a matter of time before Russian relations with China and possibly also Iran cool down–after all, Russia was a historical rival of both China and Iran for power and influence throughout much of inner Asia. Moreover,it would be difficult for so many great powers to compete in the same space without tensions surfacing. A change in American attitudes toward Russia or a decline in American power in Asia could potentially lead to new geopolitical alignments in which Indo-Russian interests on limiting Chinese power take precedent over any differences in Central and South Asia

http://thediplomat.com/2016/12/the-geopolitics-of-india-and-russias-disparate-interests/

Cutting Edge

Russia Left Out From Major Indian Tender for EW Suites

India has asked a Russian vendor to quote for AESA radars but overlooked it while asking for participation in the tender for EW self-protection jammer pods.

New Delhi (Sputnik) — India has requested for quotations from seven global manufacturers for electronic warfare (EW) self-protection suites to accelerate the upgrading of its self-developed light combat aircraft Tejas Mark-1A.

Interestingly, India did not send a request to the Russian manufacturer Rosoboronexport though it has been selected to compete in the tender for AESA radars for the same aircraft.

Sources told Sputnik that EW systems worth $200 million will be selected by April next year. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the designated local assembler of Tejas, will purchase a total of 83 EW suites for series production that is expected to start from 2019.

The tender has strict conditions for transfer of technology and local manufacturing. India has also sought exclusive worldwide sales and product support rights for the LCA MK1A aircraft or its variants fitted with the EW suite. It will also have the right to use the suite or its adapted versions on any other airborne platform designed or produced by HAL for use by Indian defense customers.

Bids have been invited from Elbit Systems and Elta Systems (both Israel), Saab (Sweden), Thales (France), Elettronica s.p.a (Italy), Raytheon (US) and Indra Systems (Spain).

HAL will make outright purchase of 24 sets of fully formed EW suites and locally manufacture another 48 based on a combination of kits supplied by the vendor.

“[The] Vendor shall ensure that HAL work content shall be more than or equal to 40 per cent by value of the unit price of each EW Suite,” reads the tender issued by HAL.

LCA TEJAS is a light weight, single engine combat jet optimized for air superiority and ground attack roles. This 4.5+ generation combat aircraft has a carbon composite frame, digital flight control system; glass cockpit and digital avionics.

Last month, the Indian Defense Ministry had cleared the ``acceptance of necessity’’ (AoN) for the procurement of 83 upgraded versions of Tejas for $7.7 billion.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201612281049080844-india-russia-electronic-warfare/

gadeshi

The Geopolitics of India and Russia’s Disparate Interests
How much do Indian and Russian interests converge in the 21st century?

December 28, 2016

Throughout the past few decades, India and Russia have maintained extraordinarily close relations. During the Cold War, India, though not formally allied with the Soviet Union, leaned toward it. The Soviet Union proved vital to India because it was able to provide superpower cover for its development as an independent nation, especially during bouts of tension with China or the United States, both of which were friendly toward Pakistan.

This has led to the view by many in foreign policy circles in India that India and Russia share a sort of special relationship, one which transcends temporary interests. As India’s president, Pranab Mukherjee said in 2015:

Our relationship stands apart. Russia is and will be a dependable partner in defense matters and energy security despite the relationships with other countries developed by Russia or developed by India….[the] India-Russia relationship is one of deep friendship and mutual confidence that would not be affected by transient political trends….Russia has been a pillar of strength at difficult moments in India’s history. India will always reciprocate this support. Russia is and will remain our most important defense partner and a key partner for our energy security, both on nuclear energy and hydrocarbons.

However, in recent years, both international conditions and India’s views on foreign affairs have changed. To paraphrase a famous dictum, nations do not have permanent friends and enemies — only permanent interests. Therefore, it should come as no surprise to realists in India that India and Russia are growing apart. Indian security interests throughout Asia and the Middle East are not necessarily shared by Russia, though not due to any deliberate maneuvering against India on the part of Russia.

In particular, two recent incidents highlight this. First, Russia — together with Iran, another country close to India — has been engaging the Taliban politically. The engagement was presented by the Russian side as an attempt to fight a common enemy in the form of the Islamic State, which is also active in Afghanistan. Nonetheless, the Russian outreach to the Taliban may also be an attempt at building influence in the country with a faction clearly not aligned with Western interests. This could pay off with economic and political benefits down the road. India on the other hand, has not opened up talks with the Taliban, who have a record of hostility toward India and close ties with Pakistan. On December 15, the Indian foreign ministry issued a cautionary statement regarding Russian overtures toward the Taliban: “We do not see any downward trend in our bilateral relationship… but it is clear that India has been disturbed by recent events.”

Secondly, and perhaps more disturbing to India, was a recent Russian decision to strongly support the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which links western China with the Pakistani port of Gwadar. Additionally, Russia “also announced its intention to link its own Eurasian Economic Union project with CPEC.” This decision comes after Russia denied interest in the project. Earlier this year, Russia also upset India vis-a-vis Pakistan by holding military exercises with Pakistan soon after the Uri terrorist attacks in India, which damaged relations between the two South Asian powers.

It is clear that Russia is feeling out Pakistan, as part of its efforts to enhance its influence throughout Asia, and Pakistan could be of particular importance to Russia because of its links with the Arab world and Central Asia, as well as its possession of ports on the Indian Ocean. These developments are not aimed at disrupting relations with India, and stem from a different set of priorities, but could nonetheless rattle India. For now, the main Russian game in Asia is to work with China and Iran to create a multi-polar space therein.

Russia will continue to pursue its own perceived national interests, as it always has. Russia is primarily focused on establishing a sphere of influence throughout the former Soviet Union, and further afield, when possible, in Europe, East Asia, and the Middle East, as evidenced by its intervention in Syria. Russian President Vladimir Putin has stated that his goal is to prevent “attempts to create a unipolar world,” an obvious reference to the United States and states closely aligned with America.

Viewed through the lens of history, India and Russia have often been at odds geopolitically, because their particular locations point them toward different priorities: land versus sea, the extraction of natural resources in inhospitable locations versus trading in the center of the world’s busiest ocean. The close relationship between India and the Soviet Union during the Cold War was often a matter of convenience and ideology; the Great Game, where a power based in North Asia (the Russian Empire) and a power based in South Asia (the British Raj) had different ideas for what happened in the territory between them is a more accurate reflection of the inherent geopolitical tendencies of Russia and India. India will continue to grow closer to the more commercial, mercantile littoral states of Asia, such as Japan and the Gulf Arab kingdoms, and their ally, the United States, all of which have lukewarm relations with Russia. On the other hand, the larger land powers of Asia, such as China, Russia, Iran, and perhaps even Pakistan will find more common ground.

Russia and India are unlikely to formally break and will continue to cooperate on many issues. They will remain partners on weapons development and energy issues. Nonetheless, a geopolitical drift is increasingly likely in the coming decades, as the two countries have disparate interests. It is particularly important for Indian policymakers, who are often given toward sentimentality, to understand this and adapt to the changing circumstances without harboring resentment toward Russia. Nevertheless, there is scope for future cooperation with Russia, since it is only a matter of time before Russian relations with China and possibly also Iran cool down–after all, Russia was a historical rival of both China and Iran for power and influence throughout much of inner Asia. Moreover,it would be difficult for so many great powers to compete in the same space without tensions surfacing. A change in American attitudes toward Russia or a decline in American power in Asia could potentially lead to new geopolitical alignments in which Indo-Russian interests on limiting Chinese power take precedent over any differences in Central and South Asia

http://thediplomat.com/2016/12/the-geopolitics-of-india-and-russias-disparate-interests/
India can benefit from CPEC as well by transiting Chinese cargos or send its own ones to EU through China and Russia which will be much faster and out of US control.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

airtel

Country flag
India can benefit from CPEC as well by transiting Chinese cargos or send its own ones to EU through China and Russia which will be much faster and out of US control.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Akshay_Fenix

Sir ji CPEC is just a road and nothing else.

gadeshi

Sir ji CPEC is just a road and nothing else.
In the beginning - yes, but if it is successful, it grows into self-sufficient structure.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles