India Pakistan conflict along IB and LoC (July 2021 onwards)

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Turkish drone operating within range of s-400 and russian air defense .

not sure about the altitude its operating . could be flying low .

but very interesting about how these air defense works . not everything is 100% fool proof .

Ukranians are using it as a spotter for guiding artillery fire .

translation:

According to the flight location and range information in the images taken by TB-2 from Kherson airport 48 km away, it operated from a distance of approximately 170-180 km against the S-400 and IADS (integrated air defense system) that Russia has in Crimea, which consists of S-400 and other systems.

So that means s400 has a "blind spot" so to speak and tb2 got some advantages up its sleeves?

mokoman

Country flag
So that means s400 has a "blind spot" so to speak and tb2 got some advantages up its sleeves?
dont know exactly , looks like s-400 + other Russian air defense cant see large drones if its flying low . i think it is supposed to .

i thought it was interesting , seeing that pakistan will buy turkish drones and we have s-400

:hmm: not sure but we will probably need more AWACs , i think those can detect low flying drones.

I doubt anyone would use s400 missiles for drones, at that point much better to have short range sams or CRAMs with the moving column.
u dont need s-400 missiles , its part of a larger network , there are other options.

but if u cant see the drone , then its pointless.

maximus777

Country flag
Once in a while why can't MEA use words like "Uighur muslim genocide" when issuing statements. Fatu kahike..
MEA should generously any messaging with Uighur, Taiwan, Tibet, Covid, Tiananmen etc. and see CCP's BP going up. Takes cojones for that which the current dispensation with 56" bra clearly lacks.

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I doubt anyone would use s400 missiles for drones, at that point much better to have short range sams or CRAMs with the moving column.
Bhai that's not the point. The point is s400 was not able to track the drone and intercept it flying in its range. That's a huge no-no for a true state of the art marketed AD. I am genuinely concerned about it now.

Tuco

Country flag
dont know exactly , looks like s-400 + other Russian air defense cant see large drones if its flying low . i think it is supposed to .

i thought it was interesting , seeing that pakistan will buy turkish drones and we have s-400

:hmm: not sure but we will probably need more AWACs , i think those can detect low flying drones.

u dont need s-400 missiles , its part of a larger network , there are other options.

Or revive the aerostats for base and asset protection.

Tuco

Country flag

Is this a speculation? They might have seen it but didn't respond?

Isn't it true that radars after certain distance can only pick up objects flying at a certain height. Correct me please.

Rudra7678

Country flag
Manan Bhatt! I seriously do not know if this article written by him merits any mention on DFI. I read his much touted book on Balakot air strikes and believe me it is a Karan Johar / Yash Chopra type B'wood grade potboiler in literature, full on melodrama, which was a huge turn off for me. The discussions on Balakot air strikes on DFI have been far more enlightening than what one can find in the book. Maybe, it is for those readers who do not frequent DFI/BRF but the book still leaves a lot to be desired. About this article, it has nothing that the article headline and article description carries.

Last edited:

mokoman

Country flag
The advanced version of Predator & Heron-TP can look atmost 60-80km away

But Tiny TB-2 has enough powers for its sensors to look 170km away (which in reality is 30km)

Some creatures have this constant itch to bring up anything to discredit S-400.
naah man , read my post again .

it was 170km away from s-400 + Russian air defense, flying at altitude of 6km , been used as a spotter for artillery fire .

s-400 is supposed to detect even low-flying-drones and cruise missiles , fact that they didnt shoot it would mean they cant detect it , for what ever reason .

its not exactly a good look.

Is this a speculation? They might have seen it but didn't respond?

Isn't it true that radars after certain distance can only pick up objects flying at a certain height. Correct me please.
its only speculation , but Ukranians have been using the drone for several high profile strikes.

yep due to earth being round . also if there are mountains , it will block what radar can see . for radars facing China , we cant see low flying objects in tibet due to himayalas .

OnePunchMan

Country flag
naah man , read my post again .

it was 170km away from s-400 + Russian air defense, flying at altitude of 6km , been used as a spotter for artillery fire .

s-400 is supposed to detect even low-flying-drones and cruise missiles , fact that they didnt shoot it would mean they cant detect it , for what ever reason .

its not exactly a good look.

its only speculation , but Ukranians have been using the drone for several high profile strikes.

yep due to earth being round . also if there are mountains , it will block what radar can see . for radars facing China , we cant see low flying objects in tibet due to himayalas .
Too much speculation i would say , anyways S-400 in Indian context will be paired with other short range SAMs like spyder , akash , Xrsam and of course pantsir as well they will fill out the gaps nicely.

also no weapons system is perfect no SAM will 100% stop incoming fire but even if it stops say 80-90 % of the incoming strike that is good enough that way enemy has to dedicate resources to fight the weapon system in order to defeat or overwhelm it and it gives u time to pick them off , its a great capability booster weapons don't fight each other one one one case in point look at the israeli iron dome is it perfect?? no but it does stop whole lot of hamas rockets letting IAF pound gaza till kingdom come.

what strategy is being used and how each weapon system fits into it is more important than just raw spec on paper.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles