India-China Comparison on Military Strength "foolhardy" Says Naval Chief.

amitkriit

With India possesing a Natural unsinkable Aircraft Carrier called Andamans, China will have to think twice before challanging India in her backyard, called [Indian Ocean].

xueyongliang

Hey, I'm not disputing that large gap between Indian and Chinese capabilities, but it's not like there's going to be a massive full fledged war between the two soon over Arunachal Pradesh, is there? And even if that war did take place, is China going to haul those 14000 artillery pieces for a duel in the Himalayas? What use are those 68 submarines for a war in the Himalayas? Or the huge advantage in tanks?

It is said that India and China coexisted peacefully side by side for 5000 years. Well, that's because fighting a war across the Himalayas is almost impossible! And that basic geographical fact has not changed till now. So I don't think we need to worry too much about a full fledged war with China. There might be border skirmishes and a local conflict like the one in 1962, but nothing more.

i agree with u view

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No more China vs India comparison on anything OTHER than military strength, as indicated in the thread title.
Not understood.

Admiral Mehta was basically talking not only about military strengths, but also the underlining message was a strategic construct.

War is the amalgam of national economy, political will, industrial base, national morale, military compatibility, diplomatic power, amongst other issues.

A couple of Sun Tsu's gems will help understand what signifies warfare:

1. All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.

2. Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

3. The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

natarajan

I have never said China is more powerful: Navy Chief

Seeking to straighten out his recent remarks on China, Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta today said he had "never" stated that Beijing was more powerful than New Delhi as was attributed to him in the media.

"I have never said that China is more powerful than us. What I said is that for numbers to numbers, we don't want to compete (with them). May be we are better without having those numbers," he said.

He was addressing a farewell press conference before demitting office on August 31.

Mehta'a clarification followed his remarks earlier this month that "India neither had the capability nor the intention" to match Chinese military capabilities.

He said these remarks were made in a particular context.

When asked about the threat posed by the Chinese naval bases coming up around India and whether China wanted to encircle India, he said, "India is a big country and it would be very difficult to do so. As their (Chinese) Navy comes from far away to this region, they need to build bases, which are known as shaping the maritime environment."
source

blackgoat

china is in fact more powerful than our indian friends

Last edited by a moderator:

SHASH2K2

I acceept it when it comes to the numbers. But what about the quality ? most of the chinese weapons are cheap reverse engineered products and most of chinese navy and airforce equipments are of 60-70 era . so number is not a big advantage for them as its almost useless.

badguy2000

Respected Member
I acceept it when it comes to the numbers. But what about the quality ? most of the chinese weapons are cheap reverse engineered products and most of chinese navy and airforce equipments are of 60-70 era . so number is not a big advantage for them as its almost useless.
well, you seem to believe that India navy has lots of modern warships ,don't you?

then, can you figure out how many modern warships on earth India navy and PLAN have?

Country flag
75% of Chinese submarines are more than 30 years old, what you said is accurate but Chinese are trying to modernize, it is in the newer numbers that better comparisons can be made.

SHASH2K2

My dear friend I know that china has more number of modern warships compared to India. Question is that are they in position to bring them all in Indian ocean to attack India. India need not match china in terms of number . china has number but will they be able to divert all of their resources against INDIA. Answer is NO . They have more than enough challengers in their own backyad .

debasree

Country flag
chineese dont have enough naval capabillity to blocked indian port,but we can effectively cut their life line at sea,(oil)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
chineese dont have enough naval capabillity to blocked indian port,but we can effectively cut their life line at sea,(oil)
And that, is the whole reason why they are now desperate to open up a land access route via POK to middle east which Pakistan is only too happy to donate like they donated the Shaksgam Valley.

natarajan

If war brokes out and china uses srilanka as a base,we can capture srilanka and solve tamil issues once for all,also the tamil fishermen problem.

debasree

Country flag
their navy is bigger than ours ,its a reallity but most of their vessels are obsolete,real war time how they act,its a million $ question

neo29

It is true that China has a bigger arsenal than India. But it also has most neighbors it needs to worry about. Taiwan, Japan , South Korea and Vietnam. Even India adds to that list. China with a clear intent to handle all neighbors at a time in case of hostility increased its mighty arsenal.

shyamranger

It is true that China has a bigger arsenal than India. But it also has most neighbors it needs to worry about. Taiwan, Japan , South Korea and Vietnam. Even India adds to that list. China with a clear intent to handle all neighbors at a time in case of hostility increased its mighty arsenal.
Non of the Neighbors will go to war with China unless US ensure support to them..........China can Crush them all at a time.

badguy2000

Respected Member
their navy is bigger than ours ,its a reallity but most of their vessels are obsolete,real war time how they act,its a million $ question
and India navy are full of brand-new world class vessels ,such as one 50-years-old AC and 20-30 years old subs....etc.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Non of the Neighbors will go to war with China unless US ensure support to them..........China can Crush them all at a time.
so, in a word ,it would not be a game of China VS any of its neighbours at all, but a game of CHina vs USA.

the neighbours of CHina are not the players,but the arena of the game.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Could we know the basic of naval warfare before we talk of numbers?

It is like saying India has 20,000 patrol boats and China 10,000 and so India is stronger than China.

One has to understand what action a country has to take against an adversary for the outcome desired and then has to equip itself with the correct type of naval crafts to form the flotilla essential and at the same time have the correct type of flotilla to defend its shores.

Therefore, does it strength equate in numbers or the correct composition in adequate numbers to achieve the strategic goal?

Sureesh is right. The comparison is flawed.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I agree with Ray. If you think that China is going to send a flotilla of Subs and warships (without a Carrier support) to Indian Ocean) to blockade/ attack the Indian ports then you are crazy. Why would they strip their country of the protection of their best ships and open up their merchant marine and their ports to other enemies?
Even a Chinese submarine run blockade of Indian Merchant marine in the Indian Ocean (especially in the Arabian Sea) seems a bit far fetched.
On the other hand, a battle over Arunachal is most likely, where most MBTs are useless, most heavy artillary is unusable and most legacy fighters are unweildy. Such a battle will be with light artillary, light tanks and advanced aircraft. That is where India needs to match the Chinese to eliminate Chinese threats. The Indian Navy is modernising and have many other roles. Fighting the PLAN warship to warship is not a major one.

badguy2000

Respected Member
I agree with Ray. If you think that China is going to send a flotilla of Subs and warships (without a Carrier support) to Indian Ocean) to blockade/ attack the Indian ports then you are crazy. Why would they strip their country of the protection of their best ships and open up their merchant marine and their ports to other enemies?
Even a Chinese submarine run blockade of Indian Merchant marine in the Indian Ocean (especially in the Arabian Sea) seems a bit far fetched.
On the other hand, a battle over Arunachal is most likely, where most MBTs are useless, most heavy artillary is unusable and most legacy fighters are unweildy. Such a battle will be with light artillary, light tanks and advanced aircraft. That is where India needs to match the Chinese to eliminate Chinese threats. The Indian Navy is modernising and have many other roles. Fighting the PLAN warship to warship is not a major one.
well, the final of the competition between CHina and India would not be decided by final of the arm race between tem,but by the one of economic race between them.

so, you have better pay more attention to your economy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles